Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
Do I have the right hitch??

I just purchased a 2005 25' Safari, and it came with an Easyrider AR20 Class V air hitch. I have never seen this type hitch before. I towed it home and the trailer rode great. I am wondering if I have the right hitch and if this hitch has sway control. It appears to have weight distributing bars, and they attach with chains, but don't think they will control sway. I have a 2015 1500 Silverado with a trailer package, so I think I have an ok towing rig.
I am new to Airstreams and we are excited about camping in it. Thanks for your help.

dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I did a search on the web for the companym but it looks like they are out of business. There are several makers of this type of hitch, however, I have not used one. On this forum you will find that many people have opinions on different brands of hitches. Some are very vocal that their brand of hitch is "the only one to have". I believe that you purchase what you can afford, and use what you are comfortable with. If you get a bad experience try something else. Chris

WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
2005 25' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
The right hitch

Interesting hitch you have, on my 2005 Safari, I use a Reese Class V hitch rated at 12,000 lbs...1200lbs tongue weight. For weight distribution it used trunnion bars with chains. I usually don't need any additional sway control most of the time and if I feel I need it, I have a EAZ-lift sway control device that works pretty well. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from others as everyone has their favorite setup. Good luck!

aliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
When I bought my '06 25' Safari it came with a Curt hitch. It was fine for towing UNTIL I bought new tires for the truck. The old truck tires were real stiff and the new Michelin M/S 2 were softer. Something caused it to sway awful from that point and I got another hitch.

If your hitch works well, go with it. You may not experience sway. YOU WILL know if you do. You fell like you have to counter steer the truck and trailer- weird feeling.
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
2013 30' Flying Cloud
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Purchased a used 30' FC with supposedly a Reese dual cam straight line weight distributing hitch with 1200# torsion bars pulled with 2012 Suburban. Trailer sway was and is terrible. Going to another dealer found out I had been supplied with 800# hitch weight bars. Replacement bars are ordered via the new dealer. Traveled to Florida from Iowa with original set up and fought the unit both ways traveling at 60 mph. Now in discussion with original dealer. I tried a 2015 2500 Chevrolet PU after my return and did not notice the trailer behind with little trailer sway. Currently working on a replacement vehicle.
Cheesemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
You got a great hitch. Out here you see them (or similar) on a lot of stock trailers and horse trailers and folks love their horses the way some on this forum love their Airstreams. It is merely a isolation system between your WD hitch and your TV receiver. The WD bars offer some degree of sway control. If "... it towed great" then stick with it, you got a bonus with your purchase and it shows the PO cared about treating his/her AS right.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
2006 34' Classic
Fort Worth , Texas
If you feel your hitch seems to work most of the time... what about the other time(s)...maybe unknown, maybe disaster. That is sway control at it's best. The only correct safe solution is sway prevention. Think Hensley or ProPride. The trapezoid geometrical design is the key. Sway is therefore eliminated before the fact with these hitches.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Cheesemaker, it sounds like you have Suburban problems, not hitch problems. What tires are on the TV? If they are not LT you will get sway. Did you have the hitch set correctly? The 800# bars are sufficient for your trailer if hitch is set up correctly. Read the article on Inland Rv's site on hitches, as well as Reese's site. The 1200# bars will shake your trailer to death. Chris

WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote