Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You would have to be more aware of jack knifing the closer the ball is to the tv. Bumping the trailer against the tv. Might not be a problem. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
Do you think this is worthwhile? The fellow at the dealer said it would make backing more difficult, but I'm not quite following that logic.
The closer you can get that pivot point, the ball, to the rear axle of the TV the better. Think Hensley and Propride, systems that mechanically project the pivot point right onto the rear axle to totally eliminate sway, then you you'll get the idea. Fifth Wheeler hitches also get the pivot point over the axle, with similar results.

There are compromises, as always. There is a slight issue with backing up, but as M.Hony says, it's neglible. You said that you'd like the tailgate to clear the head when the hitch in in place, which is also going to be compromise, but again probably not a huge one.

For what it's worth, my hitch head (not the ball) sits about half an inch from my bumper when the WD is loaded. I can't use my tailgate when hitched, but in order to get the best towing, that's my compromise.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #63
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
We tow a 30 Safari Bunkhouse on the bumper. Steel flat bed (one ton chassis cab truck 9200 empty) and trailer about 7800 loaded. We can not even tell when it is hitched up. Going to be buying a smaller 3/4 ton truck with a topper later this year and going to be using a propride or hensley with that setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3484013563.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	208759  
Old 04-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridensmile View Post
Thanks for all the comments and wisdom so far.

I called up the towing shop that installed our brake controller and they had the following to say. They felt that WD and anti sway is mainly for larger/heavier setups. A 3500 lb camper and 6000 lb SUV set up right could be just the ticket. They said that they'd recommend just 'putting it on the ball" and going after proper packing/loading.

Called up Can Am and they said that though the Bambi 16 is the easiest airstream to tow....they liked the idea of anti-sway for emergency situations.

What do you guys think?
I was told exatly the same thing by the dealer when we bought ours seven years and 35,000 miles ago. He also said, "drive it around a bit and if you feel it's unsafe bring it back and we'll be happy to sell you a Hensley". Never had to go back. Oh yes, I've done full stomp emergency stops without a problem and I have no idea what sway is.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #65
Dharma Wheels Cyclery

2014 16' Sport
Santa Clara , Utah
Thoughts from Andersen

Well folks, I had the pleasure of talking to the Andersen people and they gave me a lesson in anti-sway and WD. Their verdict was that if the trailer tows great as is and the TV has its nose on the ground and does not squat....then go with it. Thanks to all who replied and we'll let you know how the next outing with greater HWY miles goes.
ridensmile is offline   Reply With Quote