Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
In a pinch I have towed two different Airstreams several hundred miles when picking them up from previous owners and did not have WD or sway control.
I did it, didn't enjoy the driving experience at all, felt tired when I got home and would rather not repeat it. Short distance and slower is OK but not long fast moving cross country drives.
- Truck is a short bed 3/4 ton.
- Trailer #1 - 30' Classic - A windy November day - felt every passing truck, porpoised on bridge abutments, felt pushed a bit by the wind, trailer felt more "Twitchy".
- Trailer #2 - 25' Safari - A windy April day - felt every passing truck, porpoised on bridge abutments, trailer felt more "Twitchy".

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
You towed without wd or sc. How do you know if you would have been okay with just sc?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The answer to your question is, it depends on the trailer and truck.
We regularly tow a couple dozen travel trailers, mostly SOBs, back and forth to shows. I sometimes use WD on trailers I am towing, depending on the trailer. Our shop duallie never uses WD.
I recall following a dually pickup once and on a wet road he had to stop quickly. The rear wheels locked up and the back end drifted to the left.

Thinking that if he had a trailer in tow with it just on the ball, it could have been a jack knife incident.

Also thinking that if he had a trailer in tow and used a WDH/with/Sway Control the jackknife situation could have been avoided.

All theory but something worth thinking about.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #46
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I'm currently downsizing, selling my 40' 5er so I can sell the Freightliner I now use to tow with. No issues with passing trucks bow waves or 15mph desert breezes, only using a ball. Pix in my gallery
Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
I recall following a dually pickup once and on a wet road he had to stop quickly. The rear wheels locked up and the back end drifted to the left.

Thinking that if he had a trailer in tow with it just on the ball, it could have been a jack knife incident.

Also thinking that if he had a trailer in tow and used a WDH/with/Sway Control the jackknife situation could have been avoided.

All theory but something worth thinking about.
That would be an issue of the setup of the trailer brakes. No WD or sway control setup will prevent jackknifing under such a scenario. There are other maneuvers you can encounter that will overcome sway control. No system is perfect or 100%.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
I'm currently downsizing, selling my 40' 5er so I can sell the Freightliner I now use to tow with. No issues with passing trucks bow waves or 15mph desert breezes, only using a ball. Pix in my gallery
Wow, that's a tremendous truck. What's the weight on something like that?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
I'm towing on the bumper of my Dodge 2500 cummins short bed -- the bumper came with the truck and is a "farm" bumper, I guess you'd call it. Very, very well built plate steel. My trailer is longer than you are asking about -- 31' and 1977. I also have four 75lb batteries in the front of the trailer, which isn't great for weight distribution, but I wonder if it contributes to the stability while towing. It could be hurting it for all I know.

I was paranoid about towing with out a WD anti-sway hitch after reading all the stuff on these forums, before buying the trailer. With the crazy farm bumper on the truck, I didn't have a receiver hitch available to use WD devices when I picked up the trailer so I just thought I'd be careful on the bumper until I reconfigured the truck. Well, it's been so stable that I have not bothered to do so yet. I have a brand new receiver hitch sitting in storage.

As others have said here, I think one thing that helps is that the distance between the tongue and axle is as short as it can be in this setup, and I suspect this helps with the stability. Adding a receiver hitch would push the ball back a few inches or more, and then I think WD setups can push the ball back even more. I'm sure the argument is that the benefits of the WD equipment offset the negative effects of pushing the ball back (if indeed the ball does get pushed back).

I am a full-timer so put a LOT of miles in while towing. Early on in my towing career, I would tense up when passing or being passed by semi's and was on guard for sway and such. Now, I don't worry much about it. I can't tell you if it is because the sway and such isn't bad or if maybe it's because I tow so much that I'm able to adjust and correct for these conditions without thinking about it.
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #50
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
Wow, that's a tremendous truck. What's the weight on something like that?
11,600#, as a 6 series truck it will carry up to 23,900#. The biggest truck you can drive without a commercial license.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #51
Dharma Wheels Cyclery

2014 16' Sport
Santa Clara , Utah
Keeping it simple

Howdy,

My wife and I are going through a similar situation in that we can't decide if its risky to not tow with WD or anti-sway. I'll share our story and any input would be helpful from all you experienced people out there.
We've got a 2014 Bambi 16' and 2006 Honda Pilot. Our Husky WD/AS hitch is huge, heavy and weighted for a tongue weight and trailer 2x the size of ours. We did a trip this weekend and felt great towing without our fancy hitch setup without the Husky Hitch. With the fancy hitch on, it feels like the tail is wagging the dog. Without the hitch - feels more natural and free.
Didn't get any sway oh the highway (65 max speed), no problems when semi trucks passed, and in the strong crosswinds on our way home, I felt them in the car, not the trailer.
So my gut feeling is to go with our simple, direct set up. Hope our story helps. Lets hear others experiences.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
WD and Sway Control: don't leave home without them!

In Airstream Life a couple of years ago a very nice article was published on WD and SC. In essence, the shorter the TT, the more you need SC and to a lesser extent WD. The higher the weight, the more you needed WD.
Top quote my wife ..."don't leave home without them [the wdh w/ sc]" ... even the fairer of the half understands the need.

Make sure that your hitch is properly set up !!!
That may or may not be the case as set up by a dealer ... read the manual.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridensmile View Post
Howdy, My wife and I are going through a similar situation in that we can't decide if its risky to not tow with WD or anti-sway. I'll share our story and any input would be helpful from all you experienced people out there. We've got a 2014 Bambi 16' and 2006 Honda Pilot. Our Husky WD/AS hitch is huge, heavy and weighted for a tongue weight and trailer 2x the size of ours. We did a trip this weekend and felt great towing without our fancy hitch setup without the Husky Hitch. With the fancy hitch on, it feels like the tail is wagging the dog. Without the hitch - feels more natural and free. Didn't get any sway oh the highway (65 max speed), no problems when semi trucks passed, and in the strong crosswinds on our way home, I felt them in the car, not the trailer. So my gut feeling is to go with our simple, direct set up. Hope our story helps. Lets hear others experiences.
You may have a good combination for your vehicle - light, short trailer with low tongue weight and an SUV heavy enough that can handle this tongue weight and has sufficient wheelbase. Probably your next best thing for simplicity and light weight would be the Anderson hitch setup - they are Amazon for $400 if you find you want one.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridensmile View Post
Howdy,

My wife and I are going through a similar situation in that we can't decide if its risky to not tow with WD or anti-sway. I'll share our story and any input would be helpful from all you experienced people out there.
We've got a 2014 Bambi 16' and 2006 Honda Pilot. Our Husky WD/AS hitch is huge, heavy and weighted for a tongue weight and trailer 2x the size of ours. We did a trip this weekend and felt great towing without our fancy hitch setup without the Husky Hitch. With the fancy hitch on, it feels like the tail is wagging the dog. Without the hitch - feels more natural and free.
Didn't get any sway oh the highway (65 max speed), no problems when semi trucks passed, and in the strong crosswinds on our way home, I felt them in the car, not the trailer.
So my gut feeling is to go with our simple, direct set up. Hope our story helps. Lets hear others experiences.
The comparison you experienced doesn't make any sense. Thinking your WDH set up is not right.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #55
Dharma Wheels Cyclery

2014 16' Sport
Santa Clara , Utah
Light, Tight and Right

Thanks for all the comments and wisdom so far.

I called up the towing shop that installed our brake controller and they had the following to say. They felt that WD and anti sway is mainly for larger/heavier setups. A 3500 lb camper and 6000 lb SUV set up right could be just the ticket. They said that they'd recommend just 'putting it on the ball" and going after proper packing/loading.

Called up Can Am and they said that though the Bambi 16 is the easiest airstream to tow....they liked the idea of anti-sway for emergency situations.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Can Am are the pro's.

Putting it just on the ball, just seems like a bad idea.