W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
What are they using in this video?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #31
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We pull our 1971 Tradewind w/o sway or WD w/ our F250 crew cab 4x4. I do use air springs to allow me to level the truck when I'm carrying extra stuff in the back; w/ just the Airstream we carry perhaps 10 psi - just over the minimum of 5 psi.

If our trailer had more tongue weight like the newer ones do, I'd prob. go to a pro-pride. As it is, the 500 lbs or so is not an issue, and with a 20' truck w/ a 1000 lbs of diesel on the front wheels, 'lifting the front wheels' with the trailer tongue weight is not going to happen.

We of course trailer at reasonable speeds; the F250 isn't a sports car empty. I beat 14 mpg by a bit pulling at about 60 mph.... and that numbers goes down in a hurry climbing steep hills or if I start running 70 mph.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
[QUOTE=wncrasher;1430902]What are they using in this video?

Looks like an Andersen ball mount, no sway control or weight distribution, on the truck and part of a Reese (not connected) on the trailer. In other words they picked up a trailer, found a ball mount, and hooked the trailer up with neither sway control or weight distribution to make the video.

The sway control mentioned presumably is the truck's electronic sway control.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
That is what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.

I experienced the GM sway control once on my Suburban pulling a 30' trailer. That was a bit scary, but it does work. I was using a WD hitch that day, but left out forgetting the anti-sway bar. A series of 18 wheelers blew by me going around 80 or so. I consider the electronic system a back-stop safety device, not a primary. But in the video GM seems to be implying it is all you need.

In the video, I can't tell if that is a 23 or a 25. For a 1/2 ton truck, it looks like it handled the tongue weight extremely well.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
WD and Sway Control: don't leave home without them!

In Airstream Life a couple of years ago a very nice article was published on WD and SC. In essence, the shorter the TT, the more you need SC and to a lesser extent WD. The higher the weight, the more you needed WD.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Weight is a concern, but the help given by a WDH in winds is the real reason, IMO. Safe driving is about risk minimization, and skill (I drive professionally) is more a matter of awareness of what constitutes risk (I can probably read road surfaces better in terms of predictions of what might ensue, for example).

No WDH on a construction trailer (with near zero side wind resistance) is one thing, a TT is quite another. WDH is dirt cheap compated to the rig and allows fine-tuning in an overall set of effects that are, again IMO, beneficial. (TV tire pressure optimization plus more weight on TT tires: best braking. Etc.).

Every thing is fine until it isn't. A well-set articulated rig lash-up trumps none at all when it matters.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
There is posted on this forum and beautiful 3/4 ton and 27' AS destroyed in a roll-over caused by a "perfect storm" of side winds and uncontrollable sway. Occupants survived. Equipment-NO!
They had a WD hitch other than a Propride…I honestly cannot remember the type. That one incident alone compelled me to bite the bullet so to speak, and invest in a Propride hitch.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Frankly I wish people that post in threads would stick to the request made by the OP. I understand fully all aspects of towing, weight distribution, sway control and the variety of equipment available. I've been towing almost 30 years now a variety of different trailer types and sizes.

I don't really care if you like one brand of hitch over another. Or if you wouldn't leave home without it on you 16' Bambi. Or you heard of wreck once somewhere where someone did something stupid and shouldn't have.

Please re-read the original post and contribute if you are doing what was requested. If you are afraid of being flamed in here, then a PM would be OK. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ouch. Are you sure you're looking for anything but confirmation? I think everyone here is trying to help and have a discussion, which gives all points of view.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Ouch. Are you sure you're looking for anything but confirmation? I think everyone here is trying to help and have a discussion, which gives all points of view.
Sorry that sounded harsh.

But yes, I'd like confirmation or denial by persons with first had experience within the parameters I've set.

That is - towing a 25 or 27 with a 1/2 ton or bigger pickup trying with and without W/D and sway control.

Outside of these parameters, while interesting, is not the point. Whether it's prudent or not is not the point. Whether you rear-ended someone because you weren't paying attention, or you heard someone got blown off the road because of huge winds is not the point. All interesting though, but for other threads.

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #40
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
As I noted earlier, we pull our 25' Trade Wind w/o either WD or sway control w/ our 3/4 ton F250 4x4 crew cab pickup. The key for comfort is to keep the ball as close to the rear axle as possible. The truck has load range E tires and air ride suspension; the trailer has Michelin 15" radials. We have been buffeted by trucks, strong sidewinds and unusual road surfaces, but this rig is quite stable and doesn't display any interesting dynamics. Of course, we pull at reasonable speeds and are especially careful heading down hills to maintain a safe pace. The disc brakes on the trailer, combined with the tires provide ample braking, but with the combined weight of over 12000 lbs care is needed.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #41
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The answer to your question is, it depends on the trailer and truck.
We regularly tow a couple dozen travel trailers, mostly SOBs, back and forth to shows. I sometimes use WD on trailers I am towing, depending on the trailer. Our shop duallie never uses WD. Our new shop truck, a Silverado, doesn't tow more than a popup without WD. Our parts manager nearly put it, and the trailer he was towing, in the ditch with it.
So, some trailers should have WD, some trucks shouldn't leave the driveway without it, and some never even notice it's not there.
So, while I recommend both WD and sway control from a safety standpoint and personal experience, you will have to decide what is best for you.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I have towed most of my heavier loads with WD, and most recently with simple friction-type SC as well. I have experienced minor (luckily) sway without WD and I had the brakes fail once with a 7500 lb trailer pushing me into a curve (managed OK, but not fun).

Where I work we have a dual-axle enclosed cargo trailer (20', 10,000 lb) and some people chose to tow it without WD a few times with HD 2500 and 3500 series trucks. A couple of people came back really rattled saying they had a tough time keeping the rig on the road due to sway. One driver narrowly avoided rolling when going down hill he crossed a set of railway tracks, bounced a little, and started swaying badly.

Some had a rough time and some didn't - the difference it seemed was load distribution on the trailer, hitch type (some the ball was a long way out from the hitch frame), road conditions, and possibly tire quality and/or condition. Also, driver skill and habits seemed to make a difference (some drivers travel 70 while others do 55, some people tend to oversteer) and sometimes weather contributed to the problem with gusty sidewinds.

Bottom line - no one was really comfortable until the WD started to be used consistently since all of the factors couldn't be controlled in all circumstances. The only real control the driver has initially is how the tow rig is set up, and if set up solidly - the variables have much less influence while you are moving down the road.

So, you can tow larger trailers without WD or SC, but why would you want to?

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote