Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
the difference... of a hitch adjustment

A few days ago, like a proud father, I posted a pic of my trailer/TV combo. Looking at the picture afterward, and a couple of members mentioned in a related thread, that the front end of my trailer was riding too high (pic #1)

Today I headed back out to have another look and sure enough, although the wheel well measurements were still good, the trailer was riding too high. I went to work and dismantled the hitch assembly and rebuilt.

Equal-i-zer hitch
Changes: moved the hitch ball down one bolt hole, moved the L-brackets up one to increase front axle load.

Here's the finished product:

thanks for the help! I quite enjoyed tinkering with the twinkie today. I took it for a test pull and things seemed very well managed. Seeing the minivan with a 25'(ish) go into a violent sway disorder on the way out there certainly lent urgency to my task. Scary to see that in person, i was amazed at how violently the trailer went from side to side and seemed to pick up energy on each pull.

No accident but his hair appeared to turn white in the process. Far better to be the observer in the situation I think.

brad.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
It may be the photo, but it still appears that your trailer is a little nose high. Try measuring from the ground to the bottom of the frame on each end... see if they are the same. You might need to move the hitch one more hole.

I envy your hangar... wish I could find an indoor location to store my trailer here in Minnesota.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
It may be the photo, but it still appears that your trailer is a little nose high. Try measuring from the ground to the bottom of the frame on each end... see if they are the same. You might need to move the hitch one more hole.

I envy your hangar... wish I could find an indoor location to store my trailer here in Minnesota.
I left it purposely a bit high for load. There's a small amount of stuff in the truck on the second pic (~100lbs). I may have to do some readjustment once we get a full load in there but probably not a lot. I tried the hitch ball one hole lower and it was all-wrong.

The hangar is my father's and I can't thank him enough for the real-estate in keeping the trailer in there, it's quite nice to have.

b.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello bradk,

Your rig looks really good,the setup of the hitch is much better.well proportioned vehical and trailer.In reference to your comments about the minivan and the 25ftr ,it baffles me as to what people will try tow a long trailer with .Anyway enjoy your airstream!

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Talk about baffling!

Scott etal -

Could not BELIEVE my eyes today. I saw a Suzuki Samari (Extra MINI 4x4) with a '19er on the back. He was going 20 or 25mph uphill (8% grade) with NO flashers or anything. Merely SCREAMING along....

I didn't double back to see if he caught fire or overheated, etc... after the long slog (about 4 miles UPHILL!!!!).... guess it didn't happen since there was no fire department action or seeming alarm....

....Wonder where he got to?

What was he thinking!? Yikes!

Talk about baffling.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:04 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
that looks much better!

i would wager when your trailer has food, dishes, beer and half a tank of water it will be perfectly level.

you may also try letting off the bars a tad to get it to drop a bit.

i certainly like it when people take the time to get their hitch right after seeing to many horror stories as you described.

john
Old 05-21-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Brad. Looks much better than before. Nice rig.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
There was some video I saw of some mountain bikers who filmed a small car pulling a tandem trailer uphill, it was smoking badly ,then down backwards it came running off the road ,could have killed some people no doubt about it.You have to see it to believe it.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Nice setup!

Out of curoisity - what kind of mileage are you getting with your Pathfinder / CCD setup?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Proper set-up

Hello all -

Saw the post about the 'smoking car pulling uphill, ...then downhill....' and it made me think yet again how HAPPY I am when I see a proper towing set up. Guess I am just wierd like that. My wife definately just doesn't get it - when I rave about improper this or that, OR!!! proper this or that!!! She just humors me.

Since we live/ drive on I-40 which is a MAJOR southern alternative to I-80 I see a LOT of set ups. There are the Suzuki Samuri-23' footers, the F150's with the 36' 5th wheels with 4 S/O's. Then there are the "nose SKI HIGH's", the 'nose DRAGGING', the '82 'Burb with a '32 TT and boat behind it, the Nissan's with a pop-up and 2 4wheeler's on the tongue, and EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me started on the Class A's with all manor of stuff on top, behind and on the nose.... Double trailers behind....

I should sit on the roadside and take pictures!!!! I honestly could make ALL of you CRINGE in a days work. What I could DO in a week....!!!

Sorry, SKREETCH. Soap box is away for the night.

Not sure if this post adds anything to the discussion - but I got it off my chest.

Thanks for listening.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:33 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
pretty good actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Out of curoisity - what kind of mileage are you getting with your Pathfinder / CCD setup?
Marc
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE - 270hp V6 - 200-300lbs of stuff
2006 Airstream 19' CCD - full fresh tank, full propane.

Surprisingly - 15.8 L/100km (15mpg) from Montana back to Calgary at 60mph.

I was pretty suprised at how well it did. Going over the passes in Montana the truck never laboured to get up the hills, just zoomed up at 55-60mph and never touched the passing gear. I was very happy with the performance.

cheers,
brad.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Nice looking unit.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote