Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Not a necessity of course, but very happy we bought the diesel - my first one.

Would buy it again, Gobs of torque and it just seems such a relaxing tow with nothing seeming to being close to being strained.

We are getting about 12.4 towing at typically 65-70mph with a 31 footer.

Apart from the initial cost (some of which I presume will be recouped upon selling) the only minor downside I have found is that when towing (other than on interstates with the many Pilots, Flying J's etc. It can be a tad more difficult to fuel up - now I must not only find a gas station with readily accessible pumps, but also one with diesel, and then try to guess where they have put the diesel pump as I approach! Not really a big deal though.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
With the encouragement and support of Mrs. evil, I was able to suspend my Luddite tendencies long enough to buy an F-150 with the Ecoboost engine.

I haven't done enough towing with it yet to tell if I've made another mistake, but I do know that if Mr. Ahmadinejad acts up, I'm going to feel pretty smart.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Lots of opinions, and here is mine.

I like my diesel. I will replace it with another.

All the hoopla is just that, someone's own opinion about what they feel is the best. Some folks just like to argue and post lots of words in an attempt to validate their opinion.

Test drive several rigs, take your time and pick the rig you like and are willing to afford.

Best Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Do any non-diesel vehicles have engine brakes?

I suppose a 6 liter truck would have double the engine braking power, but that wouldn't be enough if we get the 6,000 pound AS we're dreaming of.

So are the only choices get a diesel / stay off that road?
Engine braking works for gas or diesel. Diesel braking is more pronounced because of higher compression. My late model gas truck actually has more effective engine braking than my old diesel. The reason is the integrated engine/braking controller.

The truck has an inclinometer and knows if the trailer is hooked up, so when it starts going downhill the tranny/engine controller automatically puts itself in "downhill tow mode". All I do is touch the brake which causes a downshift, and the torque converter locks. This provides effective engine braking and I can ease off the brake. More brake pressure causes more downshifts as needed. It is seamless, automatic and provides more effective engine braking than our old diesel. I need little brake pressure in the mountains and do not even have to think about it.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
(Very nice description, Wayward)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote