Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Diesel vs. Gas

I realize this has probably been debated ad nauseam on this forum, but I'm still trying to get me ducks in a row.

Here are the facts:

I'm looking to purchase a new 27' FC.
I have a 2010 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew long wheelbase 3.73 rear slip differential with the tow haul package (I think I gave you all the important stuff), and will be using a ProPride hitch.
From everything I've seen I have enough truck to manage the weight.

What I'm trying to decide is should I upgrade to a F250 SD Diesel?

I've heard diesels are very costly to maintain. And what is it with the 'death wobble' on the F250? I saw a video on this, otherwise I never would have known about it.

So, for all of you who are far more experienced at this than I, let me know your thoughts. Do I have enough truck or not? I'd rather have more truck than not enough.

You never know, I might want to throw one of my motorcycles in the bed... lol

Old 09-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Answer is... it depends.

You have enough truck to pull that 27. Question is do you have enough payload to carry all the people and stuff you want to carry with you.

If you do, you do not NEED a F250. If you don’t, then you do need one.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
One doesn't "need" a pickup at all.

As above, it depends on the vehicle load, both solo and towing.

Solo use predominates for TV choice. That's where to start.

Spreading tongue weight adequately across three axles doesn't require a farm vehicle.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
you need to find out tongue weight, how much crap you going to haul around in the bed, how much you and the wife weigh and subtract that from the door tag stating how much weight you can carry and there you go..

for a part time deal the f-150 will be fine, for full time not so much so. If you have it use it..

diesel are a bit more to maintain but the payback is better power, longer life etc. and just more bad a$$ to boot..

the death wobble is on truck with larger than stock tires most times..
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A full size van might be a good option... and you don't have to buy a cap or tonneau.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
I wouldn’t say maintenance is that much higher. They take more oil, so the changes cost a little more; but you’re interval is 10k miles instead of 3k or 5k, so there’s that. There’s no other routine maintenance on a diesel over a gasser.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsjms7 View Post
I realize this has probably been debated ad nauseam on this forum, but I'm still trying to get me ducks in a row.

Here are the facts:

I'm looking to purchase a new 27' FC.
I have a 2010 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew long wheelbase 3.73 rear slip differential with the tow haul package (I think I gave you all the important stuff), and will be using a ProPride hitch.
From everything I've seen I have enough truck to manage the weight.

What I'm trying to decide is should I upgrade to a F250 SD Diesel?

I've heard diesels are very costly to maintain. And what is it with the 'death wobble' on the F250? I saw a video on this, otherwise I never would have known about it.

So, for all of you who are far more experienced at this than I, let me know your thoughts. Do I have enough truck or not? I'd rather have more truck than not enough.

You never know, I might want to throw one of my motorcycles in the bed... lol
The 150 will pull it. Airstreams aren't that heavy.

If you don't want wobble, keep suspension components tight, wheels balanced and tires rotated.

The diesel and gas options for an F250 are a matter of preference. When the miles add up you will start to see the difference in maintenance costs on the diesel. My F350 is the first gas engine truck I've had in awhile, and it has as much power as my boss' F350 diesel. Personally I didn't want to deal with the emissions crap, DEF, regen, limp mode etc this time. just don't kid yourself into thinking a gas truck will go 200k without maintaining it. It won't.

Good luck. I'm gonna grab some popcorn and wait for the "torque is better than horsepower" discussion to start.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
I wouldn’t say maintenance is that much higher. They take more oil, so the changes cost a little more; but you’re interval is 10k miles instead of 3k or 5k, so there’s that. There’s no other routine maintenance on a diesel over a gasser.
Some of the maintenances are 15k miles now.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Deciding what TV to use to pull your AS is as you can see by past threads can be an emotional issue. I can only tell you my experience with my 2012 F250 diesel, four door with the 8 foot bed and yes it is probably more then I need to pull my 25 FT AS, however, I am of the side of more power is better then just enough.
Anyway I now have about 78,000 miles on it and I predominantly pull on the east coast between Vermont and Florida. To date I have averaged just over 17 miles per gallon for the 78,000 miles. When pulling the AS I get about 14+ MPG and between 19 and 20 MPG with a tow vehicle. What I like about it is that it keeps its speed going up or down hills and does not lag like my old vehicle did. As to the expense to maintain, I do my best to have it service at the proper intervals and just recently replaced the brakes and at about 68000 miles replaced the tires. I have found this reasonable. One factor you do need to make into consideration is fuel prices as dies does cost a few pennies more then regular gas. One thing I strongly recommend is purchase a vehicle with a fifty gallon tank or do what I did and put on an after market tank. I found this gives you not only longer range but more importantly it gives you more options as to when you want to refuel. With the 28 gallon tank I was refueling quite frequently as I never liked to go below a half of tank. This last trip of 500 miles I did not refuel until I got to our destination and believe me you don't want to refuel in Connecticut. I do not worry about payload and I have not have a problem with sway. I use the Reese equalizer hitch.

So all in all from a layman's perspective I am very happy with my diesel.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I pull a 28' with 2017 F150 Ecoboost. The new Ecoboost has more horsepower and torque so can't compare it yours. It pulls just fine. Now having said that if I was pulling 3 to 6 months a year I would probably get the 250 diesel. But it probably wouldn't be a FORD. My son, diesel mechanic, prefers the Cummins diesel in the Dodge.

My thinking was: I'm probably going to be camping about 2 months a year at the very most. I have to drive this without the AS most of the time. I road in a Chevy 2500 and hated the ride empty. VERY rough.

So I decided to opt for a smoother ride for most of my driving and maybe give up a little bit of power.

Now when I fully retire and don't use my pickup for work (I'm an appraiser) then I'll probably opt for a diesel or at least a heftier engine and frame.

It's tough call. I agonized over it for a long time. But as one person told me the 1/2 tons of today are not those of the past. And in fact it is a misnomer to call them 1/2 tons. They are closer to the 3/4 tons of 20 years ago.