Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Doug, look into getting the Ecodiesel cam sprockets pinned. They are simply sandwiched together with pressure and at high RPM they can slip a cam.

My EcoDiesel in my Grand Cherokee needed to be replaced at 500 miles due to the cam slipping and destroying the engine (interference engine).
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #102
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Doug, look into getting the Ecodiesel cam sprockets pinned. They are simply sandwiched together with pressure and at high RPM they can slip a cam.

My EcoDiesel in my Grand Cherokee needed to be replaced at 500 miles due to the cam slipping and destroying the engine (interference engine).
Not a worry, Doug.

It is one of those .005% failure things. Anything made can break.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #103
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
I am confused by some of the post about the "high cost" of maintaining a diesel truck.

Every system in a diesel truck is in a gas truck. With the exception of the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) system and DPF (diesel particulate filter) and on a gas truck the spark plugs and all related ignition system. Modern gas engine run direct fuel injection, high pressure fuel pumps, fuel rails ect.

The trucks components are the same? Transmission, differentials, transfer cases, fuel filters, cooling system, electrical. Capacities may be more on the diesel, but really paying 75-100 for an oil change compared to 30-40 is "HIGH COST". Your buying a 50k-60k truck and complaining about paying for maintenance while towing your 70k trailer???

Buy a diesel because you want one or don't, but asking people on the internet to tell you it's ok doesn't make sense.

When a modern vehicles brakes it's expensive gas or diesel. When a turbo fails in a diesel it expensive, when the turbo in a new Ford ecoboost dies it's expensive ,and it has 2 of them.

Joe D
I hear you, but it is a bit more complicated than that.

I can buy 5W30 synthetic on sale all day long for less than I can buy a mineral 15W-40 diesel oil; no you can't run a diesel on gasoline oil. My 5.8L Isuzu takes 15.5 liters of that more expensive oil compared to 4.5- 5 liters for an equivalent gas engine.
The engine oil filter is also double, if not triple the cost of a gas filter. If you have a turbo, you probably have another set of inline oil filters before the turbo.

Then the fuel and water separator filters can be pricey and must be changed more frequently than a gas, as they do clog up.

Particulate filters on a modern diesel (not on gas motors) are very, very expensive. VW quoted my boss $4,500 for the filters on his Jetta TDI. Depending on the vehicle and how it's driven will determine how long an interval should they be changed.

Then you have DEF fluid and the modern day diesel emissions systems, like EGR valves. These systems have been in gas motors for decades, but only since 2007 have they been mandated for diesels. There have been growing pains with emission parts failing very early and often.

A fuel pump on a modern day gasoline vehicle you could buy for $100.00, while a electronic fuel pump for a modern day diesel could set you back $2,500- $5,000.

Also other components like transmissions and drivetrains are built differently for diesels and since the diesels are relatively scarce compared to gas models, these components are pricier due to their rarity.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Not a worry, Doug.

It is one of those .005% failure things. Anything made can break.
Yeah, we won't be pinning any cam sprockets for the first 100K, five years of warranty. My experience is if things go that long without failure they're more likely to go the distance.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:44 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My good friend is now 78 years old and last year he bought a new duramax to pull his 25' 5th wheel trailer, he loves it ,just wished he did it years ago when he could get more use out of it, he always worried about saving his monies from the ranch for his kids and grand kids....but no more enjoy..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote