Old 03-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
What is this of diesels over heating? They cool off when idling , only one time did I get one warmed up good, when a thermostat stuck closed, on a 7.3, you do not idle any of the newer truck diesel engines, shut them off, no big deal, most warrentys aren't worth the paper they are written on, no problem..

Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
LOL! I thought this thread was about diesel longevity
OK, back on track. Purchased my Ram 2500 CTD last August, have 2000 miles on it and it is still running great. Oil looks black, guess that's normal for diesel. I've owned it for 6 months, maybe I should get the oil changed.

I would be interesting for owners of modern diesels using DEF technologies could report.

Kelvin

Old 03-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
I worked with C-mm-ns on a two different projects with DEF tanks, none on the automotive side, and based on that I would buy a gas engine.
If you get a bit of road dust in the DEF tank you have a high chance of destroying your DEF system. Iif you idle your truck too long, or don't drive it far enough or hard enough very often, you have a high chance of destroying your catalytic converter. If you disable part of your DEF system, you vehicle will go into a limp mode and report itself to the EPA if not repaired quickly.
The systems we were working on were for larger engines, not automotive, but I can say definitely that the engineers on those systems did not know anything about reality. Sorry about being so negative. on the other hand my dad has a 2008 ford f-350 diesel, no hard driving, mostly long trips. He's had to put in a new intercooler and blend doors inside. other than that it's been a good truck for him. Of course he gets 10-11 mpg towing his snowmobile trailer, and pays more for fuel.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #74
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Just a side note on extended warranties...the third party companies do not make a stink about having work done at independent shops instead of the dealer. This could be important if you have a lame dealer or find yourself away from home and need work. My independent shop loves my warranty company.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , Florida
I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Diesel 4x4, and I will turn 200,000 miles in two days. So far it has been extremely reliable. I avg 12-13 towing my Airstream 27FB at 68mph and 18-19 at 70 mph unloaded.

Here is a list of what I have replaced or repaired. Minus regular wear and tear items like water pumps, brakes, etc the only things that have broke on me while driving was two air conditioning compressors at 38k and 76k miles. Turns out there was a bad batch of the compressors and after I went aftermarket I haven't had any issues since. I had to recently replace the fuel boost pump and one rear brake caliper that stuck.

I didn't have to at the time but at 170k miles I had the transmission rebuilt and an upgraded torque converter put in. I wish I would have done it right after I bought it. Made a nice difference in the feel of driving it and putting power to the ground.

I plan to drive it to at least 250-275k before getting another truck.

My older brother had a 2004 dodge diesel he put about 200k on and currently has a 2008 chassis cab Dodge diesel and has 160k on it. All have been great trucks.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
LOL! I thought this thread was about diesel longevity
It is; however when BTB wrote the original post, there was more than one concern along with diesel longevity including deciding on what TV to get with a diesel being a most likely choice but then...his second post #48, was moving away from diesel based on the reading and commenting. Reading through the post I threw in an alternative #54, still within the context of diesel sub-systems and warranted concerns but added the benefit of modern gassers specifically the Ecoboost as being diesel-like in its low end torque.

@dznf0g, as far as the power and torque curve of an engine go, they only tell part of the story- primarily the best RPM to run the engine. The GEARING is critical and what I did was use an online spreadsheet that calculates RPM at travel speed OR GIVEN ENGINE RPM considerate of wheel size, final drive, , etc. The calculation then shows the available torque at RPM for a particular truck per se at 70 mph. From that it is simple to see what the percentage of torque is available at a given speed without shifting.

My point was that at 70 mph and at the final gear, a 5.3 or 6.2 L GM is running at around 42% of peak torque. A shift is inevitable as was shown in the gauntlet and why they were roaring up the road in the video. Yes, the guys were entertaining but the camera showed the tach at 5000 RPM and holding. Meanwhile the Ford is geared for 75% of its torque at 70 mph. When they tested even the smaller eco 2,7 the driver was pulling the trailer and used to hearing the roar. He kept flooring the Ford unnecessarily and his partner told him that he was exceeding the speed limit. When he finally was cruising. It was pulling the same hill at 3500 rpm which baffled the driver. This mind you in the 2.7L not the 3.5 with even more power.It is all about available torque at a given RPM. The point is the benefit of a diesel has always been the low RPM torque for towing. Now there is a gasser that provides that benefit too. I firmly believe that torque is KING in towing and how a truck is geared is important too.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
That all might be true at sea level and level country, here in Montana it is up hill both ways, more diesel power than gas pulling trailers, you also do not see any big gas engines in trucks anymore either, there is a reason for that...
Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #78
BTB
1 Rivet Member

San Diego , California
Again, I appreciate all the comments and input.

The bottom line from my POV is that I am not a diesel expert, having never owned one. And while someone more informed than I might feel comfortable searching through auto-trader for months looking for just the right older Ford/GMC/Dodge truck with just the right diesel, I don't feel qualified to do that.

And I also drew similar conclusions to what's in Post #54 - the Ecoboosts have a power curve closer to a diesel than any "regular" gas powered truck - and I am way more familiar with the technology on the gas engines.

So the discussion has been very helpful, to help me decide that for me, despite the initial lure of a brand new diesel super-truck and despite all the glowing reports from people who have bought one and relish sailing up mountains and passing everyone, for me the looming downside (unless I can find a cherry example of just the right make/year/model etc etc) of grief and woe once I am out of warranty (or even when IN warranty - but at least the grief and woe is "only" time and aggravation and not $$$) is more than enough to tip the balance away from such a wonder-wagon.

I guess the upside is that this eco-boost approach has come along at the right time! With the appropriate towing and payload package - and axle ratio! - I believe I can find something that will work for me - I plan to go and educate my local dealer on all this, maybe even today.

Thanks again.

Bill
Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I absolutely believe in diesels when matched to need. I would be disowned by my father otherwise. 🙊

I hope to get to Montana in the future!
Old 03-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #80
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
When I bought my 2005 Dodge Cummins I had absolutely no need or justification for it. I was hooked and just had to have it. 11th year, 180,000 miles later it's doing the job with no complaints.

An industrial diesel with a manual trans in a strong chassis.

Spark plug free since '05 and daily commuting with a '00 VW Beetle TDI 5 speed over 208,000 on it.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
I am confused by some of the post about the "high cost" of maintaining a diesel truck.

Every system in a diesel truck is in a gas truck. With the exception of the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) system and DPF (diesel particulate filter) and on a gas truck the spark plugs and all related ignition system. Modern gas engine run direct fuel injection, high pressure fuel pumps, fuel rails ect.

The trucks components are the same? Transmission, differentials, transfer cases, fuel filters, cooling system, electrical. Capacities may be more on the diesel, but really paying 75-100 for an oil change compared to 30-40 is "HIGH COST". Your buying a 50k-60k truck and complaining about paying for maintenance while towing your 70k trailer???

Buy a diesel because you want one or don't, but asking people on the internet to tell you it's ok doesn't make sense.

When a modern vehicles brakes it's expensive gas or diesel. When a turbo fails in a diesel it expensive, when the turbo in a new Ford ecoboost dies it's expensive ,and it has 2 of them.

Joe D
Old 03-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #82
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Lincoln , Nebraska
Duramax

We just purchased 06 chevy duramax with 65000miles, one owner, with service records from day one. The 06 and part of the 07 year model came with the LBZ diesel cranks out 650lbs torque and no emission regeneration. I did quite a bit of research on the early chevy duramax's, I will admit I"m a chevy guy, have been since the early 70's. First trip with the 06(not towing) got 19.1mpg. I think the big three all build good trucks, do your best to purchase one that has low mileage and good service records. Then take care of it, let's go streaming.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:51 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Bottom line is it takes iron to move iron, heavy trailer ,bigger engine, small V6 with turbo isn't going to pull hard for long, you can study this one to death...
Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #84
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Bottom line is it takes iron to move iron, heavy trailer ,bigger engine, small V6 with turbo isn't going to pull hard for long, you can study this one to death...

Guess that's why the little 10.8L ISM 410 Cummins in my company KW is outlasting the larger 12.7L Detroits, hey?! Bus motors against 78-9k loads is pretty funny, you'll admit. At least the older Petes are running big pre emission Cats.

My 305HP/555TQ Cummins pickup is overkill for any Airstream ever made. Just can't find a replacement that is reasonably priced, can work like a one ton and get up to 16 towing a 35', 26 solo highway and 21 around Fort Worth. The stars aligned only once.

And the Blue koolaid about the "legendary" 7.3 Fird is funny, guys. Fird has been offering diesel pickups since 1983. But only got it right in 99-03. Too bad the man trans was a terrible match and no ones automatics were very good. If someone had to make a living with a one ton diesel, it was a Dodge or go broke. Maybe (maybe) Ford finally has it right with the new Chihuahua motor.

But they've all become too expensive to buy and repair with onslaught of emissions.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote