Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
I am confused by some of the post about the "high cost" of maintaining a diesel truck.

Every system in a diesel truck is in a gas truck. With the exception of the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) system and DPF (diesel particulate filter) and on a gas truck the spark plugs and all related ignition system. Modern gas engine run direct fuel injection, high pressure fuel pumps, fuel rails ect.

The trucks components are the same? Transmission, differentials, transfer cases, fuel filters, cooling system, electrical. Capacities may be more on the diesel, but really paying 75-100 for an oil change compared to 30-40 is "HIGH COST". Your buying a 50k-60k truck and complaining about paying for maintenance while towing your 70k trailer???

Buy a diesel because you want one or don't, but asking people on the internet to tell you it's ok doesn't make sense.

When a modern vehicles brakes it's expensive gas or diesel. When a turbo fails in a diesel it expensive, when the turbo in a new Ford ecoboost dies it's expensive ,and it has 2 of them.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #82
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Lincoln , Nebraska
Duramax

We just purchased 06 chevy duramax with 65000miles, one owner, with service records from day one. The 06 and part of the 07 year model came with the LBZ diesel cranks out 650lbs torque and no emission regeneration. I did quite a bit of research on the early chevy duramax's, I will admit I"m a chevy guy, have been since the early 70's. First trip with the 06(not towing) got 19.1mpg. I think the big three all build good trucks, do your best to purchase one that has low mileage and good service records. Then take care of it, let's go streaming.
79fasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:51 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Bottom line is it takes iron to move iron, heavy trailer ,bigger engine, small V6 with turbo isn't going to pull hard for long, you can study this one to death...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #84
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Bottom line is it takes iron to move iron, heavy trailer ,bigger engine, small V6 with turbo isn't going to pull hard for long, you can study this one to death...

Guess that's why the little 10.8L ISM 410 Cummins in my company KW is outlasting the larger 12.7L Detroits, hey?! Bus motors against 78-9k loads is pretty funny, you'll admit. At least the older Petes are running big pre emission Cats.

My 305HP/555TQ Cummins pickup is overkill for any Airstream ever made. Just can't find a replacement that is reasonably priced, can work like a one ton and get up to 16 towing a 35', 26 solo highway and 21 around Fort Worth. The stars aligned only once.

And the Blue koolaid about the "legendary" 7.3 Fird is funny, guys. Fird has been offering diesel pickups since 1983. But only got it right in 99-03. Too bad the man trans was a terrible match and no ones automatics were very good. If someone had to make a living with a one ton diesel, it was a Dodge or go broke. Maybe (maybe) Ford finally has it right with the new Chihuahua motor.

But they've all become too expensive to buy and repair with onslaught of emissions.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #85
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
It's pretty much a fact that a diesel will last much longer than a gasser. The question is; are you willing to drive a 25 year old vehicle to use that extra life?
I'm not.
Besides, diesels Stink. The exhaust stinks and the fuel stinks. Fueling at the bigger fuel bays it's inevitable that you'll get diesel on your clothes or shoes and then you'll smell it all day. And diesels are Noisy.
I have diesel tractors and like them when I'm being a boy and getting rough and dirty. But when I'm clean and handsome and want to stay that way, I sure don't want to be messing with a nasty diesel.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #86
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
It's pretty much a fact that a diesel will last much longer than a gasser. The question is; are you willing to drive a 25 year old vehicle to use that extra life?
I'm not.
Besides, diesels Stink. The exhaust stinks and the fuel stinks. Fueling at the bigger fuel bays it's inevitable that you'll get diesel on your clothes or shoes and then you'll smell it all day. And diesels are Noisy.
I have diesel tractors and like them when I'm being a boy and getting rough and dirty. But when I'm clean and handsome and want to stay that way, I sure don't want to be messing with a nasty diesel.
I have never heard such sacrilege.....

Diesel fuel has a wonderful aroma, and diesel exhaust smells even better. Noisy? Well, yes they can be. My old Fird makes lovely clattering noise, and only seems to bother the occasional driver when they are sitting next to me at a stop light, window down, on their cell phone.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #87
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
My diesel is quiet, clean and its exhaust doesn't stink.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Diesel Longevity

Lol, step in that stuff the guy before you spilled at the pump and tell me you don't smell diesel for the rest of the day.. Or longer if you track it in.

I have played "diesel pump twister" trying to step around the mess....

This issue is a valid one.

Yea, diesel and gas motors share a lot of common parts, more or less, one of their big differences is the cost of repair parts, the cost of shop labor, and the time required to complete a given repair.

Who knows that for many (common) repairs on Duramax and Ford diesels that the technician commonly removes the cab from the frame to save time?

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I installed Weathertech floor liners in my Ram 2500 just in case I step in diesel, mud, dog poop, gum.

Planning on taking disposable gloves and hand cleaner with me on my summer trip to Montana this year.

I hope I can use the diesel pumps at the front of the convenience stores vs truck islands since I'm only towing a 25fb.

Kelvin
Old 03-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
I'm not.
My dodge isn't smelly ,and is quiet the same as my KW with a cat, you should get updated, this is 2016.... Besides I like the Hp....
Old 03-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Diesel stinks so don't get it on you or step in it or grab the nozzle without a paper towel or top off the tank after the nozzle shuts off.

We chose a new Ram Ecodiesel over gas 5.7 for it's low RPM torque, somewhat amazing fuel economy, 40k more power train warranty, and little difference in negotiated purchase price. And all the torque, space and load capacity we'll ever need while providing a nice ride for us and our Airstream.

We chose a Ecodiesel over Cummins because it cost less, weighs less, rides better, handles better, and is more maneuverable in town and campgrounds.

All these engines can handle an Airstream well, it's more about the package they come in and the needs/wants of individual buyers. The weaknesses of all are the fuel and emissions systems. Most Airstreamers will never wear any of the engines out before trading or they become too shabby/rusty to drive in public.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Diesel stinks so don't get it on you or step in it or grab the nozzle without a paper towel or top off the tank after the nozzle shuts off.

We chose a new Ram Ecodiesel over gas 5.7 for it's low RPM torque, somewhat amazing fuel economy, 40k more power train warranty, and little difference in negotiated purchase price. And all the torque, space and load capacity we'll ever need while providing a nice ride for us and our Airstream.

We chose a Ecodiesel over Cummins because it cost less, weighs less, rides better, handles better, and is more maneuverable in town and campgrounds.

All these engines can handle an Airstream well, it's more about the package they come in and the needs/wants of individual buyers. The weaknesses of all are the fuel and emissions systems. Most Airstreamers will never wear any of the engines out before trading or they become too shabby/rusty to drive in public.
Heck, in another 50k miles you'll trade this in on the 2500 to get the exhaust brake and say the same thing!
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Yep. We have heard that before. Your Hemi rode like a Caddy and handled like a Vette 3 months ago, yet you traded that.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Yep, the small over rated pickups are soon traded up for more power, you always get what you paid for....my 6.7 at 1550 rpm is relaxing like my 500 hp cat in the KW...
Old 03-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well, this is our third half-ton pulling our Airstreams, the last one from gas to small diesel with about the same torque and same coil suspension. It's the lower rpm torque that gives our new diesel improved mpg. I doubt the overall economy will be much better, time will tell.

The gas Hemi was quite relaxed towing 95% of the time and the remaining 5% was not enough reason to give it up. Great trade-in value and great mark-downs on the new trucks was though.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #96
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
The RAM 2500 with the Cummins is a nice truck, but since it is built in Mexico, I wouldn't own one.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our Ecodiesel was built in Detroit with Italian engine and German transmission. I wonder if all those computers came from . . . China? That takes us back to the reliability question.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our Ecodiesel was built in Detroit with Italian engine and German transmission. I wonder if all those computers came from . . . China? That takes us back to the reliability question.
Were just running it on you Doug! Nice new truck!

The price of parts comes down over time. You can buy new injectors for my Gen2 truck for less than $100 each. As these newer trucks age and more vendors vie for market share prices become more reasonable. Pricing parts for trucks that are mostly still under warranty is misleading at best. As far as longevity goes, crash gods willing I want to see 500k miles out of mine.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm 70 years old, it's not the diesel's longevity I'm worried about.

Nice to have a new truck. We've always thought of these things as work horses, nothing more, but this time she wanted the bells and whistles too. Most everything on the lot had them; negotiated price at 10:15 pm (9 pm closing) on the last day of the month Feb 29th while they're almost at their quota helped.

We're thrilled, never had anything so fancy.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Doug, Looking forward to your towing report on the Ecodiesel. We carry to much for the payload of the Ecodiesel but I am curious about it nonetheless.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote