Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I got rid of my 92 IDI with about 190k on it. It needed a couple thousand of work done on it and that was if I did not find anything else wrong. It was always something with that truck. The only thing that I have that is diesel is my Kubota tractor and it has been bullet proof. I want nothing to do with them.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
i have a 1985 6.9 no turbo f-250, yes its slow but still gits the job done.
No smog junk on it no computer ect, wore out i traney and 2 starters.
I think i will stick with it ?.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Newmarket , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
WARNING VW fanboy here..

I think the 3.0L are also implicated in the VW scandal as the Porshe Cayennes and Audi's have a stop sale on them.

I think that VW should not be allowed to sell ANY cars in NA until it fixes the problem. Then we would see some real speed in getting this fixed.

You can keep your $600.00 15,000 km oil changes thanks.

Back to the OP who is looking at purchasing a domestic P/U truck diesel....not a VW.

Cheers
Tony
Not everyone has had the drink from the 3/4 or 1 ton truck Kool-Aid jug. The 3.0 L diesel engines on the German SUVs get the job done (27FB) and my last oil service including Ad blue was $140.00 USD.
Newmarketca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
2007 Dodge 2500 diesel. 170,000 miles on it. Many pulling 25' Airstream and also a daily driver. Love it. Pulled with a F150 for a year. Comparing fuel millage for both we have used about 4000 gallons less fuel with the diesel than we would have with the old 150. Not sure what that is in costs. I always seem to have high maintenance costs and repair costs no matter what I drive.
However we bought this on right in 2007. Deeply discounted because they were piled up on the lot. Now the replacement would be $60,000 or so. Not sure I would consider that. Though the new ones along on the last caravan were awful nice.
My game plan is to drive this one and hope.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarketca View Post
Not everyone has had the drink from the 3/4 or 1 ton truck Kool-Aid jug. The 3.0 L diesel engines on the German SUVs get the job done (27FB) and my last oil service including Ad blue was $140.00 USD.
I guess it depends on your payload requirements. If you can get by with 1000# of payload, then a mid-size SUV will work. 1500# payload requirement, and you need a 1/2 ton truck. 2000# payload requirement, and you probably need a 3/4 ton truck. 3000# payload requirement and you need a 1 ton truck...
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #45
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
We run 4 or 5 ford trucks. Pull trailers through town. Every trailer is full, 18,000#. My 7.3 was a King Ranch dually. Beautiful truck. Stolen. I only drive my half ton now. When I pull I use the Triton V10. It's strong but I hate it. I wish they would steal this one. Horrid mileage. We do run the bullet proofed 05-07 on two. Workhorses. One F250, one F350.

Do you wanna spend $25K on a super clean, really good looking truck that won't cost you a lot to maintain and won't break on you this year or next. Probably not the year after that? OBTW, how many know that Ford owns the patent on the Cummins diesels? Why did they leave them for their competitors to build? I don't know it's a great engine. Just wrapped in the wrong drive train.
Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moore View Post
We run 4 or 5 ford trucks. Pull trailers through town. Every trailer is full, 18,000#. My 7.3 was a King Ranch dually. Beautiful truck. Stolen. I only drive my half ton now. When I pull I use the Triton V10. It's strong but I hate it. I wish they would steal this one. Horrid mileage. We do run the bullet proofed 05-07 on two. Workhorses. One F250, one F350.

Do you wanna spend $25K on a super clean, really good looking truck that won't cost you a lot to maintain and won't break on you this year or next. Probably not the year after that? OBTW, how many know that Ford owns the patent on the Cummins diesels? Why did they leave them for their competitors to build? I don't know it's a great engine. Just wrapped in the wrong drive train.
Look at all the trouble fords 6 litre diesel had.....you keep them ,I'll keep my dodge and cummins, ford don't own cummins, the small engines were designed with case, dodge and ford engineers....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
There are two major dangers with diesels-----sitting idle for long periods and overheating. Don;t let them overheat. We have had 13 diesel engines with varied experiences. We currently have a 7.3 Powerstroke, a 6.5 GM, a Cat 3298, 2 500hp 6cx Yanmars (boat), and a diesel powered 12 KW generator. Dirty fuel is the enemy. When diesel fuel sits in the tank all kinds of organic material can grow. That clogs filters and injectors.

The longevity of diesel engines is legendary. However, the care of feeding can get rather expensive. At my age the next tow vehicle will probably be a gasser. Cheaper on the front end, and cheaper to maintain. Gas engines today are lasting much longer that before, and are getting decent fuel mileage. We do tend to run them into their maximum life. So, the Suburban will be my tow vehicle until it gives its all.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #48
BTB
1 Rivet Member

San Diego , California
I appreciate all the comments. There's a trend I can detect, which is likely to steer me away from a diesel - for multiple reasons, but mostly the aggravation factor, followed by the repair expense. If I thought I would do more miles, maybe that would tip the balance, but I don't realistically see us doing the kinds of trips that keep diesels in their sweet spot.
BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
There are two major dangers with diesels-----sitting idle for long periods and overheating. Don;t let them overheat. We have had 13 diesel engines with varied experiences. We currently have a 7.3 Powerstroke, a 6.5 GM, a Cat 3298, 2 500hp 6cx Yanmars (boat), and a diesel powered 12 KW generator. Dirty fuel is the enemy. When diesel fuel sits in the tank all kinds of organic material can grow. That clogs filters and injectors.

The longevity of diesel engines is legendary. However, the care of feeding can get rather expensive. At my age the next tow vehicle will probably be a gasser. Cheaper on the front end, and cheaper to maintain. Gas engines today are lasting much longer that before, and are getting decent fuel mileage. We do tend to run them into their maximum life. So, the Suburban will be my tow vehicle until it gives its all.
Your fuel was not properly taken care of if you got bugs and dirt, your gas will go bad and cause problems also....it's not the fuels fault ,it's operator error....go figure..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Our 99 F250 Superduty mostly sits ... usually for months at time ... winter, summer ... never any problems ...
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #51
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We tow an Airstream so bought a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel for it (three days ago). Have had no concerns about the durability of the engine itself, but many about the systems that make it run. Too complex.

Ram has a 5 year 100K warranty on this diesel, 5 year 50K on the gas model. The complex fuel and exhaust systems are only covered for 3 year 36K diesel or gas as I understand it.

Our VW diesel has been trouble-free for 10 years, runs/looks like new, and we'll hang onto it. My sense is if this small Ram diesel goes along well through it's warranty period, it may be good for the long haul as well.
Congratulations on the new truck, Doug. I'm sure you'll love the tow in your new EcoDiesel.

The Federal Emissions warranty on the light duty diesel covers the DPF, SCR/Catalyst for 8yr/80,000miles. Just the major components.

I have 33,000 or so on my 2014 Ecodiesel and plan on buying the Chrysler Maxcare 8yr/120,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty for peace of mind. This is a refundable warranty, so if you don't need to use it you can get a refund.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
2011 Ford F250 Lariat SuperDuty. First year of the current 6.7 liter diesel. Today it has 55,000 miles, about 50% towing the Airstream. Oil changed every 5000 miles, fuel filters every 15,000. Only one problem in almost 5 years. The DEF tank heater died at about 24,000 miles (check engine light came on) and was replaced by Ford under warranty with no issues.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #53
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post

What is the experience here? DO we need to trade our $70k diesels at 3 years? Is it a matter of poor maintenance, or driving them hard that make people recommend such a drastic and expensive approach to diesel ownership - or are such recommendations baloney?
No, but I would say it could cost an awful lot of money to keep a new diesel beyond the warranty period. I'm sure that recommendation comes from fear of a catastrophic failure that would be an out of pocket expense. The bill for a new diesel engine fuel system overhaul/rebuild can exceed $8,000.

If I were to go on the road nearly full time or full time, I would buy a new or certified used vehicle with the longest warranty available. Out of warranty vehicle repairs are very expensive, and diesel vehicles even more so.

I'm not sure how long of an extended warranty you can get on a newer (2014+) F250 or RAM or GMC 2500, but that would certainly be something to look at when shopping.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Smile

Your reading about the modern diesel and concerns is warranted. Diesel engines are proven but it's the other systems that are included in modern diesels that are an issue especially the fuel systems. The more basic a diesel, the better.

I just finished watching a set of gas truck videos the other day online- tow showdown, comparisons, etc and something that resonated with me is what one reviewer mentioned. "Ten years ago a buyer would have to go with a diesel in something other than a half ton to get the power and capabilities of the new half ton trucks." I believe he is correct. The new Ford F-150 for example maxes at 3300# payload and 12,200# towing depending on the configuration. That is quite a lot and more than enough to tow even a max 9000# Airstream.

I have to share this too. In one video the testers were running the IKE Gauntlet (7% grade) AND mind you the small 2.7 ecoboost 3:55 rear with a 9000# horse trailer I believe. The driver, after testing other brands of trucks, was so used to hearing the engine roaring at 5000 RPM kept flooring the Ford because he was thinking no roar, no acceleration. The other tester in the truck reminded him that he was accelerating and exceeding the speed limit. When he realized it the engine/tranny geared down and fell to 3500 RPM while still climbing the grade. The point? The torque was already there without shifting.
In each video I have watched between RAM, Chevy, Tundra, and Ford; there is a distinct difference that is apparent. The observations match the torque/RPM specs at speed. The Ford Eco engines are amazingly powerful at low torque and their power peak is at 2500 RPM which means that at around 70 mph, the way the gearing is set up, there is around 74% of torque available similar to a diesel. Every other gasser brand is at least 30% less torque regardless of engine choice due to gearing, etc. What that means is that the other brands MUST shift to get their higher torque band and thus wind up to higher RPM and noise and potentially lower MPG. My previous '09 F150 was no comparison to the newer truck but geared similar to the current Silverados. That too is why not to compare just any previous F150. I know first hand there is quite difference. It is true that the Silverado 6.2 (requires premium according to review due to knock retard and cylinder deactivation and 11.5 compression) is the most powerful half ton but as a TV it has 42% of torque at 70mph. It will have to shift down and, on their test on the IKE Gauntlet, shifted down twice and even hunted some. It earned 19mpg cruise/7mpg towing on the 100 mile flat ground test. I believe the draw to diesel is the torque. I am just suggesting that you consider a 3.5 eco gasser. It runs on Regular contrary to some posts but will accept premium if you want.

BTW, a properly designed diesel/cooling system should be able to idle and not overheat. That is another issue with some modern systems.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Congratulations on the new truck, Doug. I'm sure you'll love the tow in your new EcoDiesel.

The Federal Emissions warranty on the light duty diesel covers the DPF, SCR/Catalyst for 8yr/80,000miles. Just the major components.

I have 33,000 or so on my 2014 Ecodiesel and plan on buying the Chrysler Maxcare 8yr/120,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty for peace of mind. This is a refundable warranty, so if you don't need to use it you can get a refund.
Thanks Top. The local Ram dealership is part of a larger Larry Miller auto group that never mentioned Chrysler Maxcare, but pushed their own extended warranty program.

No dice. We'll look into Chrysler Maxcare.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Thanks Top. The local Ram dealership is part of a larger Larry Miller auto group that never mentioned Chrysler Maxcare, but pushed their own extended warranty program.

No dice. We'll look into Chrysler Maxcare.
Wait just a minute here! A little over a month ago your RAM 1500 Hemi was the "It's the best tow vehicle . . . for us.". Now you're sporting an EcoDiesel? But, but, but...
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Rodster, wasn't that Ike run the one with the 6.2l 6 speed? If not can you point me to the 8 speed version?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Here is the 8 speed version. The 42% is with 8 speed.

Interesting though. This is NOT the comparison video with the RAM and Ford. He does say that the 8 speed helps more from shifting and holding it in that power band. After experiencing the shifting on inclines and steep runs towing THAT is what pushed me to get a different truck. I wonder about the Appalachian roads versus towing across the Rockies. I know that the Rockies are taller but the steep narrow roads I was on in WV were just amazing. I drove a summer all over the South Island of New Zealand's mountains and it reminded me of that without the rock face and more trees.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Torque at a road speed alone isn't a good term. Torque is rated at an engine rpm. Road speed is different in each gear at peak engine torque (rpm)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
WARNING VW fanboy here..

I think the 3.0L are also implicated in the VW scandal as the Porshe Cayennes and Audi's have a stop sale on them.

I think that VW should not be allowed to sell ANY cars in NA until it fixes the problem. Then we would see some real speed in getting this fixed.

You can keep your $600.00 15,000 km oil changes thanks.

Back to the OP who is looking at purchasing a domestic P/U truck diesel....not a VW.

Cheers
Tony
It could be all confirmation bias on my part, but my VAG diesel is doing fine.

If you don't like VAG and have strong feelings about Dieselgate, there's Mercedes, BMW options. There's the domestic fiatchrysler powerstroke RAM 3.0 option in a pickup too or the Jeep grand Cherokee.

If your payload requirements after the airstream aren't super heavy I think it would be remiss to point out that there are smaller engined options that will do the job he is looking at without him buying and maintaining a large truck with 7L class diesel engine. (Particularly new)

Let the OP buy what pleases him.

Nothing here is going to be "cheap" to buy or run, with advanced gas engines closing enough of the efficiency gap as to make diesel less compelling than it once was.

I like the less regular fill ups, range, lowrpms on highway and longer service intervals as my time and peace and quiet is worth something.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote