Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #15
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Baloney ...
We have a 99 F250 Superduty with a 7.3 with 160,000 miles that so far has not needed any major repairs. My brother-in-law and his sons are ranchers. They have milked 500,000 miles out of a Ford with no problems. And have had similar experience with Dodge and Chevy.
The 99-00 Ford 7.3 turbo diesel is the legendary amazing truck. Highly sought after. So sought after my 00 7.3 350 was stolen almost a year ago. Yes, 500,000 miles without leaving the frame rails is pretty standard. And everyone who knows trucks knows it so if you can get a nice one just grab it.

Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
You can't believe everything you hear on MSNBC...
I think they got rid of their investigative reporters and report what they are told.

The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #17
Home of Vortex tuning
2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
'06 early '07 are the best years, not having particulate (soot) filters and the means to burn/clean them. You will enjoy 5 or 6 speed auto trannys in this time frame. Generally before this, simpler smog but 3 to 5 speed autos.
"Chip Tank" is in Vacaville Ca..
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We like our 07 dodge with a 6.7 cummins and 6 speed auto, with 97000 miles, it has not had any problems.It has pulled our as coast to coast, and going to pismo beach this April...San Diego last April... Our 1992 ford 7.3 and ATS turbo had 187000 miles before it started going bad, right head gasket....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas

The best way to get info on used and problems of diff models is go to the individual forums like the duramax forums or Dodge Cummins forums. You can find out what years to avoid. The main thing I have found is stay away from 1st or 2nd year of new designs. Gives time to iron out wrinkles. Also extended engine and drive train warranties are worth the money. Talk to fleet service shops and find out the most common problems.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Originally Posted by joel View Post
The best way to get info on used and problems of diff models is go to the individual forums like the duramax forums or Dodge Cummins forums. You can find out what years to avoid. The main thing I have found is stay away from 1st or 2nd year of new designs. Gives time to iron out wrinkles. Also extended engine and drive train warranties are worth the money. Talk to fleet service shops and find out the most common problems.
If you believe that, my 2007 cummins, 6.7 , is one to avoid, I haven't had any problems, I don't idle it and very little town driving, hook on the as and go. Some people tend to create their own problems.....every thing is constantly changing...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Overall cost of ownership is higher for a diesel. For most of us 99.99%, it would take a lifetime to put more than 200,000 miles on a vehicle. So what happens after that, is not worth pondering. If something breaks is is expensive. The towing experience is great and if that is worth the extra expense then go for it. I would not pay $40-$60k for any vehicle gas or diesel.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #22
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Imho, the biggest issue with diesels is that they cost a fortune to fix when they do break.

The fact is, if you take two five year old trucks, one gas and one diesel, you are typically going to be able to buy a rebuilt gas long block engine for less than the cost of new diesel injectors.

This just is.

Talis gentium ceciderunt.
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
It's usually not the engine itself that is a problem, it's the emissions systems and the fuel pumps.

The emissions systems with DEF can be a real nightmare. My EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee had to go into service in limp mode because the exhaust couldn't "burn off". If you do a lot of short drives, IE: work is close, a diesel is not very good. They like long distance highway runs.

Also, the fuel pumps in modern diesels run at extremely high pressures. The engine itself may last 300K+ miles, but I have my doubts on those pumps. They are expensive. I decided to switch back to gas and got a Power Wagon.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Good advice on the 99 to early 03 Superduty with 7.3. My 02 7.3 with 6 speed manual is superb. Each manufacturer has their best years and engines. My preference is older with very simple emissions deisels. This is my 3rd 7.3 with no issues. I found it last year...used with 100k. Sold my previous deisel for afew thousand more than I paid 5 years before. It was a 7.3 and the first person to look...bought it. point is that good ones are out there so if your budget is more comfortable with a good used one, you'll get years of service. I give mine the best service and quality parts because I have a fraction of a new truck cost in it. If I need to replace it I would look for another like it . If I were buying new or late model, gas would be more affordable. Do your homework. It will pay off. Just make sure you buy a truck equipped to exceed your requirements so it holds up better and longer.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #25
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Caveat...... I'm buying a brand new diesel, BUT this brand new diesel is a Toyota Landcruiser 70 series with the old tried and true mechanical 1HZ 4.2 diesel. Simple, honest, easy to work on and indestructible. The sad part is I have to move to Belize to drive it.

Back in the good old days of mechanical diesels, like my Isuzu turbo diesel and the above 1HZ, life was good, albeit noisier. As long as the diesel had fuel, air, clean coolant and an oil change two or three times a year you could count on fairly maintenance free, cheap driving.

Things have changed with the advent of emissions, DEF, Ecotec, Bluetec and a myriad of sensors and nanny systems. The poor diesel engine since 07 has been going through what gas engines went through in the 70's with the advent of unleaded gas and catalytic converters. The diesel has been forced to clean up and be silent. This has sent maintenance costs through the roof with very expensive oils, injection pumps, injectors, particulate filters, DEF and a host of other filters, catalytic converters, turbos and other nonsense. The gas truck is now the cheap drive with little or no maintenance required.

Supposedly, owners of one brand of diesel truck perform twentyone different modifications, just to make it run right. These mods of course will run you afoul of the emissions police, as did placing cheater firmware in the PCM, to make VW/Audi/Porshe diesels run right. If the big companies with their multi billion dollar engineering labs can't make them run right, can you afford too?

IMHO If you can get away with NOT needing a diesel, I would stay away from them. You will save a lot of money in the long run.

Anyone that I know that has a modern diesel has regretted buying it the longer they own it.

Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
If you pencil out the fuel economy savings against the extra cost of owning a diesel it won't pay off for most people. If you can rack up a lot of highway miles then maybe. Get out a pencil, paper and calculator and try it for your situation. To get reliability from the newer diesels Mr. Heweit removes the smog equipment which won't fly in California or most places where you are required to have inspections. Maybe they will perfect the smog systems someday but they are so complex it adds a lot of expense to owning a diesel in the long run.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Diesel Longevity

I trade every 3 years to minimize depreciation.I have been in the automobile business for many years and have found that if I trade every 36 mos I can drive a $68k F350 6.7 Platinum Supercrew 4x4 turbo diesel for less than a stripped down f150(K1500 or Ram)To drive a vehicle this expensive until it's worth nothing does not make sense to me.To each his own but I would rather drive a new vehicle every three years under warranty for less money but that's just

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
1985 31' Sovereign
Lovettsville , Virginia
It's all a matter of personal preference and how you use and maintain your vehicle (gas or diesel). I have a 2002 F-250 (7.3L Powerstroke) with 203,000 original miles. It is my daily driver, my snow plow vehicle for the last 10 years, and tows my AS, motorcycle trailer, car hauler, and a bunch of other trailers over the years. Its had a couple of minor issues (brake caliper frozen, HPOP leak, turbo pedestal oil leak, and oil cooler o-rings gone bad) but other than that, just regular wear and tear maintenance. Definitely not bad considering everything this truck has done. I still average 17 MPG daily and 13-14 MPG towing. I don't know of any gas truck that will match the mileage, much less with anywhere near the same performance.

85 Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote