Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
With all due respect to your vast knowledge ("Gearhead") : I believe that you will find that after 03, Ford purchased the engine block and associated parts from IH and did their own engineering of the motors in question. In addition, you will find that the Navistar people (IH) were not included in the class action suit, only Ford.

>>ron<<
What I think I find is that the engines (not just blocks) were assembled by Navistar in Huntsville, but Ford had several Ford-specific external (but essential) systems such as emissions control, software, oil cooler and a Ford-specific coolant.

They were each used in IH applications as well as the Ford applications. I'm sure IH had different software and such, since they were "heavy duty" applications not subject to the same emissions as consumer pickups, etc. IH called the 6.0 a VT365 and the 6.4 a MaxxForce 7.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome to America. Give me someting for (next to) nothing. Pop a pill, don't change bad habits.

Fuel efficiency gains are between the ears of the driver. Aftermarket "solutions" tend to do things like change torque control on the transmission . . leading to shortened life of that truly expensive component.

Short of buying a pre-2009 CTD, or a 2013 (DEF required) where fuel mileage is higher, the driver can cut fuel consumption effectively by:

1] Drive fewer miles overall. Combine trips.

2] Drive remaining miles at a higher skill level (it's more than just driving slower). Effectively, never use brakes and never idle. The details reveal themselves quickly to someone willing to effect some discipline on themselves.

I would never knowngly buy a diesel pickup where programming has been altered from factory settings. I know the so-called arguments and I am familiar with the various aftermarket offerings. You never get something for nothing.

A 1T of this type is meant to work hard up to engine design life of 250k (Ford or GM) to just over 350k miles (Dodge) and anything that changes the diagnostic decision tree as a vehicle ages is just asking for trouble.

One can find plenty of people who claim no problems only benefits . . but the commercial operators of these vehicles who leave them alone are the ones with the lowest overall expense per mile.

According to KENWORTH the difference between the worst and best professional driver is a one-third difference in fuel consimption. Same exact work, same exact truck, same exact conditions.

Learn to drive smarter is what works. And pays from the first mile to the last.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
To the OP,
I recently looked into putting a chip on my 2009 Dodge CTD due to the emissions equipment (egr) killing the turbo and dpf filter. It cost several thousand to fix these two items....... Diesels are overly expensive to fix.
Long story short - if you can find the tuners they are expensive. The only one that can help with emissions equipment is EFI Live or you could find a used Smarty or H & S tuner.
I tried it for a short time..... The drone in the cab was awful and I had nothing but check engine lights and other problems... I went back to stock and have been happy ever since.
With a 2011 truck be careful of your driving habits - meaning that you need to let the exhaust system regenerate on a regular basis to keep it running properly.
Love the truck, hate the emissions, will probably own a gas engine truck in the future due to the expense of the repairs.
Fuel mileage for my stock truck - 11- 13 towing at 70 mph, 17-19 non-loaded highway 70 mph and 15-16 mixed driving around town.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
To the OP,
IDiesels are overly expensive to fix.
Long story short - if you can find the tuners they are expensive. The only one that can help with emissions equipment is EFI Live or you could find a used Smarty or H & S tuner.
With a 2011 truck be careful of your driving habits - meaning that you need to let the exhaust system regenerate on a regular basis to keep it running properly.
I've had two Diesels now, an '08 Duramax, and now a '12 Cummins, and never know if, or when they regenerate, so how do you know, and what do you do to "let the exhaust system regenerate"?

Quote:
Love the truck, hate the emissions, will probably own a gas engine truck in the future due to the expense of the repairs.
Fuel mileage for my stock truck - 11- 13 towing at 70 mph, 17-19 non-loaded highway 70 mph and 15-16 mixed driving around town.
My exact sentiments.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
SteveH,
To know if the truck is regenerating I can usually tell by watching the overhead console for a sudden drop in fuel mileage and often when at a stop light I can smell the exhaust. I know that I have stopped the truck too soon if I hear the exhaust ticking loudly when the motor is shut off. I always minimize idle time and short trips.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
SteveH,
To know if the truck is regenerating I can usually tell by watching the overhead console for a sudden drop in fuel mileage and often when at a stop light I can smell the exhaust. I know that I have stopped the truck too soon if I hear the exhaust ticking loudly when the motor is shut off. I always minimize idle time and short trips.
Guess I'm just not observant enough, but I do minimize idling. I was happy with my mileage until Chrysler did a recall and a computer reflash for emissions, and after that my mileage went down about 15% in all driving conditions. I think they must have increased the amount of EGR flow, or something.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
SteveH find out your average mph (total engine time divided into miles). I do short trips back and forth to work, but on days off make it a point to take the truck out on the highway and to drive right around 60-70 miles iin errand running even though my truck is pre-emssion.

I use a grille cover (removeable panels) in up to 75F weather, and in coldest weather a true winter front. I also plug in the truck without regard for temps. Keeping warm-up time to minimum is a good idea for any diesel truck, is good for mpg, and keeps fuel burn at a higher level of efficiency. An engine oil pan heater is a near future addition (a recommendation by the Cummins engineer with the highest mpg known; in his private CTD).

Accurate fuel records against engine hours (above 27-mph) is a good goal for any short trip (under 45-miles) vehicle. Keep the average high (30+ is best). Emissions gear/programming is least-used, so to speak, with a fully warmed vehicle travelling steady state.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Herkimer,NY , soon to be Keswick,VA
First off, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. As a new, and yet unproven AS owner and also a new diesel owner I have found this very interesting. I may be wishing I had not bought what I thought was a great diesel truck. That said, I did take a short trip of 400 miles last weekend and it averaged 17 mpg. Going to VA next week with an round trip mileage of 1200 so am anxious to see how it goes. Does everyone have issues with emissions? Seems like minimizing short, cold trips and excessive idling is the most important. Many of my farm clients have diesels and I have heard minimal about emission/turbo clogging problems from them. Heck, most of them don't even plug them in during our cold winters. Thanks again for all the comments and we can't wait to take possession of our FC and hit the road this spring! JnJ
Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
SteveH find out your average mph (total engine time divided into miles).
I can't do that with my truck because the timer is resettable, sort of like a trip timer.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The overhead readout is what I use for tank-to-tank. But total engine hours are recorded separately. In mine it is a matter of key-on and off while depressing trip odometer re-set. Check your manual or ask on CF for your year model of how to obtain total engine hours.

Lifetime average speed, just as lifetiime average mpg, are good tools to review annually how well une is driving. I do mine at the annual engine oil change (as total miles are low the past few years). In concert with tire & brake life one has a pretty good snapshot of how effectively we are using fuel, thus the truck.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
OK, I had to just search around because it wasn't in the book, but found it in EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center) under what else, Vehicle Information, and my average speed is 37+ miles per hour, and that's total odometer miles divided by total engine run time.