Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #21
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
The OP is a woman, fine tuning the hitch may be easy, but if you have to take it apart, it may be to heavy for her to handle, just saying?

Yikes! You really didn't say that did you? I'll make sure the wife doesn't read that. She could always ask for help with the heavy lifting part if needed. But mastering the hitch setup builds confidence and independence when traveling. You go girl!
Old 09-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
OK, I've been labeled. Yes, I am a woman traveling with my Mom who has Alzheimer's and my spoiled rotten 1 year old Yorkie-Poo.

I rely on people acting professionally and doing what they say they will do for MY money. Surprise, it does not always happen.

Camping World surprised me and installed my brake controller without a hitch (pun intended).

I probably should have had them install the hitch but I brought it back to the dealer to install, thinking they will do a better job. OK, so I'll pay for my mistake.

I'm leaving for Florida in a week and would like my hitch to be fixed before I leave.
LiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
OK, I've been labeled. Yes, I am a woman traveling with my Mom who has Alzheimer's and my spoiled rotten 1 year old Yorkie-Poo.

I rely on people acting professionally and doing what they say they will do for MY money. Surprise, it does not always happen.

Camping World surprised me and installed my brake controller without a hitch (pun intended).

I probably should have had them install the hitch but I brought it back to the dealer to install, thinking they will do a better job. OK, so I'll pay for my mistake.

I'm leaving for Florida in a week and would like my hitch to be fixed before I leave.

Sorry I didn't mean to "label you" My mistake. I'm old and not very spry anymore. I wouldn't want to have to do what I consider to be heavy lifting like taking the hitch head apart from the shank and holding it in place while I remount it in a different position. I'm sure lots of women wouldn't mind doing that, and others not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #24
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Your awesome! Keep up the fight. I really admire you for traveling with your mom also.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to "label you" My mistake. I'm old and not very spry anymore. I wouldn't want to have to do what I consider to be heavy lifting like taking the hitch head apart from the shank and holding it in place while I remount it in a different position. I'm sure lots of women wouldn't mind doing that, and others not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Jeeze, when you're in a hole stop digging.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I bet Hillary Clinton can throw a Husky Centerline around.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Another woman chimes in

Two years ago I changed from 15 to 16 inch tires on my Safari. I did have the tires professionally mounted and balanced, but ran the trailer up on blocks and changed out each tire and rim. Whew. Talk about walking like a woman and smelling like a goat!

I know I can do certain heavy chores - especially if I take my time and stay hydrated. Others... just aren't worth risking - example: my Hensley is getting a bit rusty and could use a tear down, exam, paint and reassemble. AND if I get in trouble there's no one locally (including a couple of RV shops) that will touch it. All of my fellow local campers who see my Hensley ask about it, but I am the "resident expert" (OMG). If I were to start this chore and get it halfway done and get stumped I'd be on this forum for hours asking for help.

So anyone know of a good Youtube video that will tell me how to do this chore? Or even a PDF of idiot level instructions. I didn't find a book titled "Hensley Hitch for Dummies".

Paula
Old 09-23-2015, 05:43 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
--- my Hensley is getting a bit rusty and could use a tear down, exam, paint and reassemble.

So anyone know of a good Youtube video that will tell me how to do this chore? Or even a PDF of idiot level instructions. I didn't find a book titled "Hensley Hitch for Dummies".
Neither a YouTube video nor a PDF --

but, a good forum thread with photos can be found at Hensley Hitch Re-build and Paint.

Ron
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #29

Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Asked the dealer to install a Husky Centerline WD on my TV. Well, they weren't too happy because I bought it at Camping World. Gave the job to the youngest tech in their crew. The kid hardly measured anything just attached everything, stepped back two feet and said That looks level.

My first trip, I get to the campground and it took two maintenance men to help me take the bars off. We had the jack at every level possible, including all the way up. Still could not get the bars off.

Clearly, something is not right. Does anyone know where in New Jersey I can get help where someone can re-install it properly.
Good Morning,
I apologize about the inconvenience, I will be contacting you today to resolve this issue.
Brian Hawtin
colonialnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I bet Hillary Clinton can throw a Husky Centerline around.
I accept your dare. Going to Home Depot to buy a wrench set. I can whip Hillary's butt anytime.

Although, I need to have a tool set of my own, the dealer has called me to come back and take another look at the hitch.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Two years ago I changed from 15 to 16 inch tires on my Safari. I did have the tires professionally mounted and balanced, but ran the trailer up on blocks and changed out each tire and rim. Whew. Talk about walking like a woman and smelling like a goat!

I know I can do certain heavy chores - especially if I take my time and stay hydrated. Others... just aren't worth risking - example: my Hensley is getting a bit rusty and could use a tear down, exam, paint and reassemble. AND if I get in trouble there's no one locally (including a couple of RV shops) that will touch it. All of my fellow local campers who see my Hensley ask about it, but I am the "resident expert" (OMG). If I were to start this chore and get it halfway done and get stumped I'd be on this forum for hours asking for help.

Paula
Paula, give me a call about the Hensley. If you feel like a short road trip, you can park in our backyard, and either I can help get you out of trouble if you want to tackle it, or you can assist me with servicing it.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
...snip...

the dealer has called me to come back and take another look at the hitch.

Great. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Paula, give me a call about the Hensley. If you feel like a short road trip, you can park in our backyard, and either I can help get you out of trouble if you want to tackle it, or you can assist me with servicing it.

This is what I love about the forum and Airstreamers in general....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Colonial Airstream Saves the Day

Colonial Airstream came through with flying colors. They have fixed all my issues with my Husky Centerline. They re-measured and re-adjusted some things and made sure I can work the sway bars all by myself. To top this off I got a gift of towing mirrors for having to come back for an adjustment even though I needed some other things tweaked in the trailer. They Rock.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
On your first visit did you not go through hitching and unhitching by yourself under their supervision?

Kelvin
Old 09-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
LiaG,

So good to hear that your hitch is properly installed, functioning and can more easily be worked by yourself.

Also good to hear you went back to the same service place where you had a problem and disappointment in service.

Very good to hear Colonial did a the honorable task of reaching out to you to rectify this for you. Colonial gets so much praise and clearly someone had a bad day during your initial visit.

Sound like a willing customer and a redo on customer service install made for a very positive outcome on both sides.

Thx Lia for giving us a good perspective and Colonial for going the distance.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Hey Terry I'm going to Alumalina later this month - Perhaps I could stop by on the way home. I'd be perfectly willing to take it to the dealership and pay them rather than take advantage of your good nature - though I certainly appreciate the offer. How long do you estimate the job would take?
And are there any wear parts (washers, etc.?) that I should order in advance?

Paula