Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carefree , Arizona
Damaged Atwood Sharkfin using Anderson WD

I have been using an Anderson WD hitch on my 2010 25FB and F150 for a year. Overall it has performed well.

Unfortunately, my Atwood coupler's sharkfin has become damaged. I believe it is one of the 88xxx versions that Anderson now says are not compatible. As you can see from the photo, the leading edge of the fin has been sheared off. Approx 1/8" remains. I assume that the upward pressure has caused the issue.

I know it needs to be resolved. Question for those knowledgeable on the forum, how dangerous is it as it is right now? Can the sharfin be ground off and a new fin welded?

If the coupler has to be replaced, what brands are recommended? I love the concept of the QuickBite but they appear to have gone out of business as their website is gone and phone disconnected. Is there anything similar to it out there?

I am also considering giving up on the Anderson and getting a Equalizer 90-00-1000 which is rated at 1000 pound tongue weight and 10,000 overall weight. Any feedback and thoughts would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805-3.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	206894  
wiredforless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would not tow with it using any hitch system if the fin is damaged. It will have to be replaced. I would question any repair of the original coupler. I don't believe any parts are available for repair, although possibly a new one could be used as a donor parts source. There are other couplers on the market that could be used with the Anderson, or any other hitch. Coupler cost is relatively low, $50 to $125, and the replacement cost to remove and re weld is generally in the $150 to $200 range.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have towed my 25' Safari for nine years using an Equal-I-zer hitch. [one that you mentioned] With no problems at all. The Andersen puts an unusual amount of pressure on your coupler. And with the Andersen, the coupler has too much play in the latch mechanism. If you were able to drill the latch pin area so all of the holes are the same size and install a lock or pin that fits that hole tight, there would be little or no movement at the shark fin, and it probably wouldn't fail. With your lock in the pin hole, use a small flat blade screw driver, and push the latch away from the shark fin. [I did this] You will see on a new / undamaged coupler, that you can almost push it completely off of the fin. This makes it easy to fail.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carefree , Arizona
Thanks Robert. Anderson too has suggested drilling the hole which makes sense. I am going to do this to try to salvage a trip we planned this weekend. Following that, I'll likely switch over to an Equalizer setup. I was wondering if you could tell me exactly where to drill the hole? A picture would be great but not sure if you have one handy or not. Any info here would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredforless View Post
Thanks Robert. Anderson too has suggested drilling the hole which makes sense. I am going to do this to try to salvage a trip we planned this weekend. Following that, I'll likely switch over to an Equalizer setup. I was wondering if you could tell me exactly where to drill the hole? A picture would be great but not sure if you have one handy or not. Any info here would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, in your picture, the hole where your lock is. The holes are two different sizes. You need one size that will fit a lock shaft or pin fairly tight.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carefree , Arizona
Got it...thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Regarding a replacement coupler for the a-frame, I have wondered if the bulldog collar lok would work well for use with the andersen. Heavy duty, and the closing mechanism comes in to wrap around the ball from the side. We have them on a couple of our small horse trailers. I like the design.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quickbite couplers are still available from lots of sources. Lippert Components bought the patent a few years ago.

Adding one is my next project.

Enjoy the journey,

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredforless View Post
I am also considering giving up on the Anderson and getting a Equalizer 90-00-1000 which is rated at 1000 pound tongue weight and 10,000 overall weight. Any feedback and thoughts would be appreciated!
We found our Andersen troublesome and unable to transfer the tongue weight of our trailer. The situation you have now is dangerous. Anderson should have enclosed a warning their hitch is not compatible with standard Airstream couplers for this reason.

The Equal-I-Zer will work well, simple to install and use, and is safe. We've used one. But you still need to fix your damaged coupler.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I knew I did not like the Anderson hitch design. Since the Anderson pulls forward it puts all the stress on the locking mechanism and not the front nose of the hitch?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I replaced my Andersen with a Equal-i-zer because (1) I couldn't get proper weight transfer and (2) the same hitch compatibility issue. Very happy with the Equal-i-zer.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I started last year with an Andersen hitch, a Quick-Bite coupler and an EZ-connector electric plugs. All have worked very well together on our 1987 25' sovereign. I found my Quick-Bite on Amazon at half the price. My second choice would have been the Bull Dog hitch. There seem to be several people that must cruse this forum looking for anybody asking about the Andersen hitch so they can add their negative comments. There many more of us that are using the Andersen hitch and are sharing what we have learned about it. This includes its many good points and also its short comings.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
I replaced my coupler with a Quickbite when I got an Anderson. Not because I worried about the Anderson but because the coupler was 45 years old. I love the combination and it did cost a lot to do it. I also believe several people have reported they used the Anderson recommended fix successfully.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have an Andersen, and it works very well on the trailer I use it on, a 17' Casita. And judging from what I've seen on this forum and others, I wouldn't recommend using an Andersen with any trailer having a tongue weight over about 500 pounds.

They just don't have the geometry to distribute the tongue weight beyond that without stuff failing.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Anderson hitch looks very attractive to eliminate porpoising we experience with our Equalizer. Nearly 100K miles on the Equalizer and Quick-Bite 7700 coupler, we love them both. Just a great setup for us. But good grief, get on a road with frost heaves, we just slow down after bounding up and down madly

Back to the OPs question, replace the old coupler with a Quick-Bite, you'll never look back.

Pictures of ours on http://dreamstreamr.com on the home improvements/exterior page.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I have had many trailers with various couplers over the years - the best that I have found are made by 'Buyers'. I now have converted all my trailers (8) to them. I buy them through Northern. The are cast iron and lock automatically, and are very positive locking.
The old style I found on my Airstream (and is still sold) I would not trust - they are never tight and solid as the Bull Dog as mentioned above (which are very solid) and Buyers - which I prefer for ease of use.
First thing I would do (and did), is change out the Airstream coupler - cheep insurance.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
...snip........ There seem to be several people that must cruse this forum looking for anybody asking about the Andersen hitch so they can add their negative comments. There many more of us that are using the Andersen hitch and are sharing what we have learned about it. This includes its many good points and also its short comings.
It is not for everyone, but one person or two seem to think it is their responsibility to repeat over and over their opposition to the Andersen hitch. If those who enjoy a good experience repeated their story, the negatives would be lost in the avalanche. Most peope enjoy traveling more than complaining.
Rendrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I too have the Anderson hitch. We just came back from a 5 week trip to sunny Florida. I still have the Airstream atwood coupler but I also have a Quik-bite to install. I like the Anderson and plan to continue with it. I have put about 20k miles towing using the Anderson with no complaint.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote