Old 07-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
My dad bought a 1954 Country Squire (a Ford station wagon), back in the day when there was real wood trim on the exterior cars. It had the V8 and a 3 speed on the column. Luggage rack on top. 10 of us, 9 seats positions filled and a baby on Mom's lap up front. I'm sure we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies. Every trip, even a short one, was an adventure. On one trip in the late 50's, I remember getting stuck in the sand on the beach at Nags Head. We were all packed up ready to head home. Luckily, Mom thought I was too young to help dig or push. But we had plenty of people power to get it out. The dead turtle I found on the beach and sneaked into the car was forgotten in the chaos, but Mom found (smelled) him a few hours down the road. Wish I still had this old woody for a tow vehicle!

Later we had a 1959 Plymouth station wagon. I was only 14 when Dad let me drive a few miles on one of those trips, out in the middle of nowhere. Another time Dad hauled a pony home in the folded up middle seat, Pony's head out one side and tail blowing in the breeze on the other side. I still remember people's heads turning as we drove right through downtown. A new pony and a herd of loud happy children get attention.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
My dad bought a 1954 Country Squire (a Ford station wagon), back in the day when there was real wood trim on the exterior cars. It had the V8 and a 3 speed on the column. Luggage rack on top. 10 of us, 9 seats positions filled and a baby on Mom's lap up front. I'm sure we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies. Every trip, even a short one, was an adventure. On one trip in the late 50's, I remember getting stuck in the sand on the beach at Nags Head. We were all packed up ready to head home. Luckily, Mom thought I was too young to help dig or push. But we had plenty of people power to get it out. The dead turtle I found on the beach and sneaked into the car was forgotten in the chaos, but Mom found (smelled) him a few hours down the road. Wish I still had this old woody for a tow vehicle!

Later we had a 1959 Plymouth station wagon. I was only 14 when Dad let me drive a few miles on one of those trips, out in the middle of nowhere. Another time Dad hauled a pony home in the folded up middle seat, Pony's head out one side and tail blowing in the breeze on the other side. I still remember people's heads turning as we drove right through downtown. A new pony and a herd of loud happy children get attention.

This must bring back memories!
My '54 Country Squire, maybe someday it will pull the Safari.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468424881.153673.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	266652

AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
my parents bought our 69 Safari new. the TV we had were: two Toronados in a row - first was a late 60's model and then a 72 Toronado GT (455 engine - with headers from the factory) and then graduated to two Chrysler station wagons in a row with 3 rows of seats. My Dad put rear air shocks on all the cars to raise the back up during towing. He bought a 97 Tahoe new which we now use as the TV and it has been a great TV.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
When I was a kid, we had a 1967 Ford Country Squire wagon with a 460.
The kids rode in the "way back" in 2 sideways facing seats that folded up from the floor.
There wasn't as much plastic in these old cars. They had more metal than the cars of today.
I remember the vent windows on the Country Squire had small window cranks. That seemed sill to me even then. Most vent windows had a latch in the corner and you simply pushed them out.
A couple of years after that vent windows disappeared completely.
The '67 Country Squire was traded in on a '75 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, which was traded in on a 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, which was traded in on a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, which was totaled in an accident. Then a 1985 Buick Lesabre was purchased.
We also had a 1956 Buick Roadmaster, 1960 Studebaker Lark wagon (used for tent camping and fishing with an aluminum john boat),1963 GMC pickup (also used for tent camping and fishing with an aluminum john boat), a 1970 Chevrolet Bel Air, and a 1973 Oldsmobile Omega.
There was a 1964 Rambler American and a 1970 Ford Maverick (also used for tent camping) in that gaggle of automobiles, too.
Of all those, the 1967 Ford Country Squire would have likely been the best tow vehicle, followed by the 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic and 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
anderson , South Carolina
Vintage tow vehicle

Currently pulling 25 ft 1970 tradewind with a Dodge 2500 deisel with no problem.
Back then we used a 1968 Buick 225 with the 430 engine. Pulled heavier Holiday
RAMBLER also. Visited the AS detailed in Greenville s.c. and he used exactly the
Same car and set to pull all sizes from Jackson Center to s.c. Buick had over
100,000 miles and had only one transmission problems.

ShinneyToaster
Old 07-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
When I was a kid, we had a 1967 Ford Country Squire wagon with a 460.
Of all those, the 1967 Ford Country Squire would have likely been the best tow vehicle, followed by the 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic and 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale.
Here's your chance to relive those days:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true

If our Trade Wind was in operational condition and I had time to take on something like this I'd go out there and drag it back.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
You mustn't compare apples to oranges. Forget manufacturer's paltry tow ratings. They're nothing more than a cut-and-dry "selling point."

Instead, you must not only think in terms of trailer weight, but also trailer length. Never lose sight of the fact there's a lotta sail area on a 31 footer.

In your case, the tail will most certainly wag the dog, especially in a cross wind or when a big rig passes by and you get sucked into his vortex.

Simply stated, you must never rely solely on manufacture's recommendations. They are, after all, nothing more than "selling points."

Tom
Old 07-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hauula , Hawaii
In high school, I owned old Cadillacs, a 1959 Coupe and a 1960 Coupe deVille were my favorites. I sold a pink '59 Cadillac to pay for my wedding. That's the one classic car I don't regret selling

But my dream is a modified '59 or '60 restomod with disc brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jetsmooth sm.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	660.5 KB
ID:	266663  
Old 07-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
International Travel All with a 345 V8 with a granny 4 speed and 4.10 gears was the top dog travel trailer town vehicle.
Ask Wally
Old 07-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
You mustn't compare apples to oranges. Forget manufacturer's paltry tow ratings. They're nothing more than a cut-and-dry "selling point."

Instead, you must not only think in terms of trailer weight, but also trailer length. Never lose sight of the fact there's a lotta sail area on a 31 footer.

In your case, the tail will most certainly wag the dog, especially in a cross wind or when a big rig passes by and you get sucked into his vortex.

Simply stated, you must never rely solely on manufacture's recommendations. They are, after all, nothing more than "selling points."

Tom
Agreed. The shorter wheel base and lighter vehicle weight definitely increased the amount of sway compared to my crew cab truck. It never became unmanageable, only a slight pull when a large truck would pass. You did have to pay attention. A slight acceleration would negate the effects nicely.

I'm enjoying reading all the responses. Looks like a lot of V8 powered station wagons were used back in the day. I do wonder if they pulled on a set of Cat scales with the same setup today if it would meet the standards that we try to adhere to today.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Come on now younguns. 1980 ain't vintage.

My brother in law had a 57 and a 58 Corvette. Yeah if he got on it, you would get pushed back into the seat, BUT, it was like driving a brick on wheels.

We used his 52 GMC pick up……truck, to move a washing machine. You should have seen us speeding down the highway, flat out. 45 miles an hour.

Back to the 80s. My mom had an 1980 Continental with a 460, suicide doors, and a trunk that slept three. Yeah, you could smoke the tires off the line. I know it could have pulled my 20' Argosy. She traded it in for the largest ever, production model Caddy with a 475. You could buy an after market bumper kit to make it longer.

My mom always told me…." Airstreams are the Cadillac of trailers. "

Do they still make Cadillacs ????? My sister says NO !!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha
Old 07-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
I read that one of Wally's friends said he didn't like to travel with him because he drove too slow. With that rig I can see how that is possible. Still a cool truck and more time to enjoy since it won't whiz by. I hear that 345 is a bear to find parts today.

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 Crew Longbed
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Sometimes we'd leave on a Friday evening when my dad got home from work and because there was nothing to see out the windows after dark I'd curl up in the rear seat foot well of the family "57 Coupe DeVille. That was a primo place to sleep, warm from the mufflers and soothing rumble from V8 drive train and road noise. Until a rude wake-up call of the frame grinding on rocks in a creek-bed that meant we were approaching the camp area. The hitch was bolted just to the bumper on that car and never gave a problem with a 16' trailer even on rough logging roads. Mom bitched about gas mileage, Dad just used his Standard Oil credit card. Old Airstream ads always showed passenger cars towing trailers and parking at the ocean or next to a trout stream! I'm sure my Linclon Town Car would tow my 31' well if I dropped the differential gearing down to about 3:73, I've been tempted...
Old 07-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Good thread. Those classic car memories are great.
And my Scouts with 345 and my International 2wd half ton 345 were the best tv's ever. Loved that low end torque...almost as good as a diesel. I started camping in 1972 and have never used anything but truck or old suv's like Scouts. Not saying it's the best...just my choice. My silver blue 62 Olds Starfire would have been sweet with an AS. Oh the memories....
Dave