Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Cummins Exhaust Brake Troubles

Our '01 Dodge 6spd stick is intermittently cutting out or not engaging at all. It always resumes operation after shut down/cooldown. Have had a handful of throttle sensor fault codes during the same time frame (sensor replaced, but additional faults since). Anyone had the same experience and found a Rx? It's irritating since we can't depend on the downhill braking when towing.
Each time it's been in for repair (at Dodge, Cummins and separate mechanic), the report is "We can't duplicate the problem you describe". Thanks for any help you can offer.

nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Search at Cummins Forum in generation subforum on drivetrain

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
thnx… will do!
Old 06-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Mono City , California
Here is some info on operation of the exhaust brake from Cummins Quickserve. As you can see the throttle position sensor is an input to the ECM, and control of the exhaust brake.

Can you get me the engine serial number and some of the codes you have experienced with the throttle position sensor. I can then check Cummins service information to see what maybe the cause.

The exhaust brake retards engine speed by creating high exhaust back pressure. This back pressure is obtained by restricting airflow through the exhaust system. The exhaust brake can only be activated when the accelerator pedal is at its low idle position. With the throttle at low idle position, fueling commands to the cylinders will not detract from the braking power of the brake system.

The exhaust brake is actuated by a solenoid. The solenoid can be controlled by the engine's electronic control module (ECM). The ECM monitors its sensors (such as accelerator pedal position and engine speed) and energizes the brake solenoid when the proper braking conditions are present.
TBSarfari28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Great help, TB, and thank you. I've learned a little more about my brake in the meanwhile. It is a PAC Brake. Local Cummins shop referred me to them for tech support. I was sent service and maintenance bulletins which I shared with my mechanic.
I can not provide a VIN because my truck is in the shop. The codes I remember seeing were for Throttle Sensor and Companion Module (which Dodge says is redundant and does not specifically indicate anything).
I'm hopeful that some PAC Brake Rx is now possible. Should know tomorrow and will share as there is news. Thnx again.