Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Cummins diesel or international?

How about it you diesel fans? Dodge cummins diesel or Ford with an international?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I prefer my Sprinter with a Mercedes diesel for pulling my 19' Bambi. 16-17 mpg when towing, 22-24 mpg when not towing. 25.2 mpg average while running around Chicago today.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Agree with Robert, Mercedes makes the diesels appropriate to Airstream, unless you need to pull two Airstreams at the same time.

doug k
Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Btw, 2011 and up Ford no longer has a contract with international. Ford makes their diesel engines in house.

I'm not sure if your looking for an older diesel or not.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Quesnel , British Columbia
The newest generation of diesels have all found themselves to be reliable motors... and all freakishly expensive to repair once they mile-out. Cummins certainly has the longer pedigree if that means anything to you...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #6

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
I've been looking into this too! I found this interesting article from Diesel Power magazine. While I was at my local diesel parts & repair shop last week purchasing some diesel fuel additive for my Cummins powered motorhome, I asked the guy behind the counter for his thoughts. He said that they're all good (Dodge, Ford, Chevy/GMC), but advised me to stay away from 2003-06 Fords. Glad to discover that my 12-valve Cummmins is possibly the most reliable of the bunch!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
I found this interesting article from Diesel Power magazine.
I don't want to pay $19.95 to view the article. How about a brief review of what the article said?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Alachua county , Florida
Having pulled with a sprinter diesel and a cummins, there is no comparison. An underpowered van or a powerful truck. Sorry to hijack the thread. jim
Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Went and had a look at your previous posts. That trailer is not at all big. Any of a number of vehicles can be made to tow it. It is more a matter of how much stuff and how many people you will travel with. A fulltimer can make better use of a big pickup (diesel) than a "vacationer" (infrequent though regular trips). I see you've also asked about other TV's for your trailer in other threads. Probably any of those could be made to work (contact Andrew Thomson, of CAN AM RV in London, ON). Some good choices on minivans (HONDA Odyssey) could be made.

Do some reading. There are plenty of threads about this kind of question. Your situation is not unique, and that reading leads to better questions that will, in turn, lead to better answers.

As to diesel pickups there are about a dozen of us with 2003-06 Dodge with 28'- 34' aero aluminum trailers which weigh from about 7 to 11k pounds getting high reliability and 13-16 mpg towing. None of that matters except for full timing or with a truck that otherwise has some IRS deductible miles.

I chose mine strictly for longest life at lowest cost with highest reliability (which left out both Ford and GM). 2WD & manual transmission make it bulletproof and a great pleasure to drive. IFS plus rack & pinion steering give it very good sensitivity on the highway. But it's overkill even for my 8k GVWR 32' trailer . . unless I load as if for full-timing (4-season plus hobbies or business, etc) which is where I am at present (living and working from trailer, ready to move based on job opportunity in the oilfield).

1] How long will you keep the trailer?
2] How many nights aboard in that period?
3] How many miles under tow?
4] How many miles on TV, overall, in same period?

Come up with some time/distance/use answers and TV questions are more easily sorted out. A TV that is of reasonable size and doesn't really do much towing based on percentage of total miles can be easier to live with, with a lower cost of operation, than going bigger and bigger (the RV'er disease).

No surprise that the same crowd who advocated bigger last year are cutting travel this year (other RV boards) as their operating expense is too high. An A/S behind an economical TV (of which mpg is barely a top category of comparison) is a winner on many counts. Initial expense, total cpm of operation, and ease of use are what matter.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I must vote Cummins, sure love mine. I have an 07 with the 6.9. Six speed manual, factory installed optional exhaust brake, DRW. 13-15 towing,18-22 solo. Pulling a 34 so 12 tires rolling. I've only had it about 1.5 years , been very good. I also like the low, sleek front end that I think helps with aerodynamics (mine is 2wd) compared with other brands.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I purchased a 99 Dodge/Cummins new in late 98. I used this vehicle to deliver trailers all over the U.S for quite a few years and still use it to pull my own AS.

I now have 565,000 miles on this truck and other than an injection pump at 458k, there have been no engine related repairs. I have known of several that made the million mile mark.

I pretty well know what truck I will buy when it is replacement time
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Went and had a look at your previous posts. That trailer is not at all big. Any of a number of vehicles can be made to tow it. It is more a matter of how much stuff and how many people you will travel with. A fulltimer can make better use of a big pickup (diesel) than a "vacationer" (infrequent though regular trips). I see you've also asked about other TV's for your trailer in other threads. Probably any of those could be made to work (contact Andrew Thomson, of CAN AM RV in London, ON). Some good choices on minivans (HONDA Odyssey) could be made.

Do some reading. There are plenty of threads about this kind of question. Your situation is not unique, and that reading leads to better questions that will, in turn, lead to better answers.

As to diesel pickups there are about a dozen of us with 2003-06 Dodge with 28'- 34' aero aluminum trailers which weigh from about 7 to 11k pounds getting high reliability and 13-16 mpg towing. None of that matters except for full timing or with a truck that otherwise has some IRS deductible miles.

I chose mine strictly for longest life at lowest cost with highest reliability (which left out both Ford and GM). 2WD & manual transmission make it bulletproof and a great pleasure to drive. IFS plus rack & pinion steering give it very good sensitivity on the highway. But it's overkill even for my 8k GVWR 32' trailer . . unless I load as if for full-timing (4-season plus hobbies or business, etc) which is where I am at present (living and working from trailer, ready to move based on job opportunity in the oilfield).

1] How long will you keep the trailer?
2] How many nights aboard in that period?
3] How many miles under tow?
4] How many miles on TV, overall, in same period?

Come up with some time/distance/use answers and TV questions are more easily sorted out. A TV that is of reasonable size and doesn't really do much towing based on percentage of total miles can be easier to live with, with a lower cost of operation, than going bigger and bigger (the RV'er disease).

No surprise that the same crowd who advocated bigger last year are cutting travel this year (other RV boards) as their operating expense is too high. An A/S behind an economical TV (of which mpg is barely a top category of comparison) is a winner on many counts. Initial expense, total cpm of operation, and ease of use are what matter.
Rednax, I'll be making regular trips from Memphis to central Florida...and expect to put 40,000 a year on it. My 24 ft. weights approximately 5,000 fully loaded but I expect in 2 years I'll upgrade to a larger airstream, but never more than 9,000 lbs.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
I don't trade vehicles, and tend to wear them out. My Surburban has 200,000 on a gas engine. I am buying the diesel for power and longevity.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Another vote for the Cummins. My '07 with the 5.9 just turned over 150,000 with zero repairs. No question it's way overkill for my little 19' but I'm getting much better mileage towing than I ever did with my old F150, the brakes are amazing and travel is more relaxed with the engine barely breathing as we chug along at legal speeds. BTW the coachwork on the Dodge has proven to be as solid as the engine as well.