Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Cruise control/ safe or not at..?

Just wondering if on a long stretch of road, you are going say...55 mph. Can cruise control be used?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Yes
Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
Just wondering if on a long stretch of road, you are going say...55 mph. Can cruise control be used?

I use mine all the time, never had a thought about not using it. I use the + and - to make minor speed adjustments, much smoother than my foot. I hope I am not doing something considered dangerous.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Thankyou
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use mine on long empty stretches of road, however if traffic starts getting heavy or erratic I am quick to turn it off.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I use mine when ever it is practicle. Got a bit of a craped out back and right leg so the cruise control allows me to stretch my leg out and move it around. Keeps the cramps down. Definetly turn it off in traffic or dicy conditions.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
All the time ... weather and traffic permitting... but then I rarely exceed 60mph and prefer under 55.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Use mine all the time on interstates. Not so much on other roads.
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
My owner's manual says not to use it when towing. Their reasoning is the cruise control (it's a drive by wire truck) can cause the engine to over-rev, and grenade.
That's not to say I don't use it on fairly level stretches, though.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I use mine all the time. I turn if off going up long hills and on wet or slippery roads.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't use it on hills where I'm downshifting to get to the top, or keeping it in a low gear to help slow our descent. I've heard you shouldn't use it in the rain. But straight, flat, dry, boring stretches - sure, why not?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Funnily enough I find that my right foot is better at limiting the number of gear changes than the cruise control; it's because (I think), if I drop slightly below my set speed, I'm more patient than the cruise control in building the speed up again. That said, I have used it in the past, traffic and weather permitting.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I don't use it on hills where I'm downshifting to get to the top, or keeping it in a low gear to help slow our descent. I've heard you shouldn't use it in the rain. But straight, flat, dry, boring stretches - sure, why not?
It was explained to me that if you get into a situation in the rain where the road wheels lose traction, like when you aqua-plane, the cruise control detects that the wheels are moving more slowly and heaps on the power to try to get the wheels going at the right speed again, which is probably not what you want if you are aqua-planing.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I use it a lot on flat roads. Any hills or even overpasses I turn it off. The way my cruise control works on even small hills and overpasses it drops 1-2 MPH going up then as the hill starts to level out and I gain speed without the cruise adding throttle, the cruise suddenly increases throttle significantly and accelerates to 3-4 MPH faster then the cruise was set, seems like really poor programming.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
It was explained to me that if you get into a situation in the rain where the road wheels lose traction, like when you aqua-plane, the cruise control detects that the wheels are moving more slowly and heaps on the power to try to get the wheels going at the right speed again, which is probably not what you want if you are aqua-planing.
All this may have been true at one time, but the first thing that happens with ANY activation of Stability control, traction control, etc, is automatic and instantaneous disengagement of cruise control. At least on GM vehicles, and I suspect on most others as well.
Use it whenever you are comfortable with it. I also disengage in heavy traffic or in hilly terrain where I don't like the power apply logic. Cruise control can't anticipate like a driver can....just yet. In a couple of years cars will "see" what's ahead and will be able to anticipate a lot of things. Cadillac first, then filtered down to a lot of vehicles.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
All this may have been true at one time, but the first thing that happens with ANY activation of Stability control, traction control, etc, is automatic and instantaneous disengagement of cruise control. At least on GM vehicles, and I suspect on most others as well.
You're absolutely right, Rich, I tend to forget that it's there. My Toyota stability thing is excellent and I have a hard time getting the Sienna to do anything naughty at all on the snow, much to the relief of my step-kids who do not like my displays of handbrake turns and drifting in the other car!

I should point out that I'm not hitched to the Airstream whilst attempting said snow acrobatics....

Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I believe you can get better mileage by not using CC. Because when you approach a hill and the speed starts to drop off. The CC effectively puts the throttle to the floor. Wasting fuel in an effort to bring the speed back to the set point.
That said, I do use it on occasion. To give the leg a rest.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I watch the EGT gage and manually shift the automatic to keep the turbo charger temperatures in a safe range. I use the CC on the level or mild hills.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not safe on slippery roads, and not good for the transmission if it is shifting down repeatedly. If it is shifting down too much, you are probably in too high a gear and below the needed torque range, move it down a gear. If it still shifts down repeatedly, you probably have too small an engine or too big a load. For most gas engines on steep grades you should take it out of cruise control and manually select the gear/rpm/speed to comfortably go up (and down) the grade.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Not safe on slippery roads, and not good for the transmission if it is shifting down repeatedly. If it is shifting down too much, you are probably in too high a gear and below the needed torque range, move it down a gear. If it still shifts down repeatedly, you probably have too small an engine or too big a load. For most gas engines on steep grades you should take it out of cruise control and manually select the gear/rpm/speed to comfortably go up (and down) the grade.

doug k
This is really not a function of CC, IMO. If there is shift business, manually shift down and use cruise in the lower manually selected gear, just as you would with the human foot cruise control. As to slippery roads....again, on reasonably new vehicles, traction control will de-activate cruise if any slippage is present. A non-issue IMPO. (Snow/ice excluded...cruise isn't a great idea...towing or not.)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote