Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Crazy thing happened when leaving today-check your brake controller if this happens

We had a crazy thing happen today when leaving.

We hitched up, had everything connected, and were pulling from the campsite to the main road to depart.

Going super slow.

It felt like we hit something/ran over something, and we heard a noise.

I wasn't sure if we had left a stabilizer down, or had an errant item under the trailer we had run over. I got out to investigate. Husband backed up, tried again, and the same thing happened.

We realized that the Trailer Brakes were engaging.

We checked the connections and 7 pin and breakaway and those looked good.

Then husband realized that the brake controller inside the tow vehicle had somehow been bumped and the slide setting moved to be all the way on. Light was red.

Changed this and fixed the problem.

But we were really puzzled.

Hope you all can file this away in the back of your mind in case it happen to you.

Happy Trails.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Scary!

What type of brake controller do you use? I’ve had a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 for about 10 years (first for a different trailer and truck).
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Crazy thing happened when leaving today-check your brake controller if this happens

Does your controller have a parking brake function?

Don’t laugh I accidentally found that my MaxBrake has a parking brake function. While test driving a different trailer for brake function I set the gain to 100 and hold pedal for longer than ?? Sec and boom! Parking brake. It is in my manual as a tool to prevent trailer movement while loading think flatbed not RV I assume.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Scary!

What type of brake controller do you use? I’ve had a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 for about 10 years (first for a different trailer and truck).
That is the brand we have as well. Not exactly sure of the model.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The first thing to do when leaving a site is to check the manual operation of the trailer brakes . . . as in . . . right away, within 2-3' of starting to move the trailer. The rig's speed should be only 1-3 MPH, so that you can stop immediately if the trailer brakes are not working correctly.

The above practice would have caught the problem IMO. On a steep site facing downhill, this will prevent a worse accident if the trailer brakes are NG.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"set the gain to 100 and hold pedal for longer than ?? Sec and boom! Parking brake. It is in my manual as a tool to prevent trailer movement while loading"

Good way to burn out your brake magnets, I'd think. It's widely recommended that one should never use electric trailer brakes as parking brakes. In fact, my trailer's breakaway switch has a label warning against doing this.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
It’s a feature I’ve never used and agree it’s a what we’re they thinking feature.

But it took an experiment to find it.

But that MaxBrake has showed up as take offs from trucks and resold right quick on tdr1.com a Dodge forum.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote