Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
CAT Scales ... how-to?

I will have a chance to take the rig to a CAT Scale next week.

As the scales are designed for big-rigs, I'm curious ... are there any tricks to getting it done with a Suburban pulling a 16-foot Bambi?

Checked the CAT web site, and the video makes sense ... if you are an over-the-road driver behind an 18-wheeler.

What's the process for a humble driver and his Airstream?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Download CAT Scales App so you don't have to push call button. Then go to fifthwheelst.com use their 4 step weight safety plan.
I would recommend taking the three measurements as described then fill in the blanks.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Good information at fifthwheelst.com but I like to refine it a little more. The worksheet doesn't consider the weight difference between the axles on the trailer. I've often found significant weight imbalance between the axles that can be adjusted thru the WD system.
Truck scales in Oregon are open all year long and many are low volume use and available to the public that aren't limited to commercial trucks. Sometime it can take a few hours to measure and weigh to get a very balanced set up. Once done properly, it can make a huge improvement in towing and handling.
Almost all RV dealers do not have scales and often I've helped members of our unit readjust their WD systems. I just helped a friend readjust her system set up by a major nationwide RV dealer. It was done so poorly it took 3 hours to completely reinstall and adjust the system. It was so bad, the torsion bars were screaming as she drove because the dealer had seriously over loaded the bars because the system was so far out of alignment.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
CAT scales

Walk inside and ask. The operators at the Flying J that I went to were very helpful and appreciative that I walked inside and talked to them, rather than just pulling up on the scales and pushing the call button.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you *do* set up a CAT account - be really careful with their "security questions". They are really generic stuff that a lot of people could dig up the answers to. Either give bogus answers (and write them down) or assume your account is not very secure.

Yes, I realize this has very little to do with the topic at hand ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Very good point on the weight difference between trailer axles. I'd think if you had a spotter to stop you, you could get a single axle weights between two pads. You'd need a 4th pass across the scale for sure, and worst case is you subtract the known single weight from the gross trailer weight to get the other axle.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
I went through the Escapees Smart Weigh when installing/dialing in my hitch-- seeing the imbalance between the two was worth the effort. Keep us posted!!!
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
We weighed in at a Pilot Flying J with a CAT scale. Procedure was as follows.

Pull on the scale. Make sure your front, rear, and trailer axle(s) are on separate pads.

Hit the button and hop back in your truck with the widow down.

Operator asks if it's a first weigh or a reweigh. Tell him first weigh.

Operator asks your truck number. Make up a two digit number. 00 works.

Unless the operator keeps talking, you're done. Pull off the scale and head inside to pick up your ticket at the register. They may ask if it's commercial or private. Tell them private.

Repeat as necessary, indicating "reweigh" when asked. I had to provide a code printed on the bottom left of my initial weigh ticket.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I like the part about pushing the call button and quickly jumping back into your truck.

My weights were always off by 200+lbs.

After I shimmy up the pole to push the call button, I usually just hang there to talk to the operator. So my body weight is missing from the scale ticket.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Updated step two:

Push call button out your window with a broomstick. Quickly chuck broomstick off the scale, unless you plan on carrying it in your truck.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
For basic weighing, I second the recommendation to install and use the Weigh My Truck app from CAT. Pull onto the scales as described above, punch into your phone the number of the scale you are on, and within a few seconds your weight sheet is emailed to you. $11 for the initial weigh. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Updated step two:

Push call button out your window with a broomstick. Quickly chuck broomstick off the scale, unless you plan on carrying it in your truck.
Hi

If I chuck the broomstick, what will I use for backup transportation?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #13
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I was just going to say that Bob. My broomstick has served me very well for 40 years.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
You always need to keep track of your towel, and your broomstick.

42 plus Harry P. Makes perfect sense to me...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Updated step two:

We actually carry a broomstick designated as the "CAT scale stick". One end is wrapped with rubber repair tape so it gets traction on the button. (we do have another use for it: It's marked in inches and it helps us get centered in our back-in storage place).

Next time I will download the app.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #16
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
We actually carry a broomstick designated as the "CAT scale stick". One end is wrapped with rubber repair tape so it gets traction on the button. (we do have another use for it: It's marked in inches and it helps us get centered in our back-in storage place).
Can you please elaborate? How do you employ the other use? marked in inches? Helps you get centered in your back-in storage place?? Must share more, please. Thanks! Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
We weighed in at a Pilot Flying J with a CAT scale. Procedure was as follows.

Pull on the scale. Make sure your front, rear, and trailer axle(s) are on separate pads.

Hit the button and hop back in your truck with the widow down.

Operator asks if it's a first weigh or a reweigh. Tell him first weigh.

Operator asks your truck number. Make up a two digit number. 00 works.

Unless the operator keeps talking, you're done. Pull off the scale and head inside to pick up your ticket at the register. They may ask if it's commercial or private. Tell them private.

Repeat as necessary, indicating "reweigh" when asked. I had to provide a code printed on the bottom left of my initial weigh ticket.
In addition to what's well described by The Greatleys, we found it useful to do a reweigh with both axles of tow vehicle on one scale, the unhitched trailer tongue on the second scale, and the trailer axles on the third scale. This gives you actual weight of TV without trailer, the tongue weight alone, and the weight on the axles with no tow vehicle involved.

And then a second reweigh with the original setup, but weight distribution bars disengaged. When compared to the first, this gives you the information about what weight is being distributed to the trailer axles and to the TV..

Your tongue weight should be 10-15% of yiur trailer weight. If not, you will want to shift trailer payload so that it dies fall within that range, keeping the heaviest items as close to the axles as possible for the best handling.

We walked inside between each measurement.

Please remember to be courteous to other users of the scales. When we used local CAT scales, there was no one behind us until the third weigh--then an 18 wheeler pulled in and we scooted of quickly, reattaching our WD bars while off the scales. Had he pulled in earlier, we would have pulled out and around and got in line behind him for our last measurement.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
two and three scales used for a TV and AS22FB test

we used the cat scale in the Soo ( Sault St Marie)
the guy was very nice, he let us do two runs and asked us which one we like
this was our first CAT scale test

we did a two scale ( one for the TV and one for the AS22FB)
we did a three scale ( one for the front wheels and another for the rear wheels of the TV and one for the AS22FB)

this is how we parked for the two runs

we like the three scale test as it lets us know if the weight distribution bars and load in the TV and trailer are even around all three sets of wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on two scales.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	293358   Click image for larger version

Name:	on three scales.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	293359  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
See the thread

Cat Scale. The results are in
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I will have a chance to take the rig to a CAT Scale next week.

As the scales are designed for big-rigs, I'm curious ... are there any tricks to getting it done with a Suburban pulling a 16-foot Bambi?

Checked the CAT web site, and the video makes sense ... if you are an over-the-road driver behind an 18-wheeler.

What's the process for a humble driver and his Airstream?
This is what you will be experiencing:

When you pull on scales you will need to push the Call button for the attendant. They will ask for Company name just respond private. If that doesn't work just give your name as company name and say truck number 1 or whatever. You will also be asked if that is your first weigh. Say yes because when you go back around to reweigh it will be half the price.

1. When you pull on the scales you will see 3 different sections.
2. Drive forward to where your TV steer axle is on the first section and the
drive axle is on the second section.
3. Make sure that you don't drive too far forward because the Bambi axle
needs to be on the 3rd section.
I would weigh first round without WD engaged. Truck fueled, water tank full and all passengers and and cargo loaded. Then reweigh with the WD engaged.
I normally weigh the TV solo first fully loaded for trip and I step of the scale while its being weighed. This gives me a reference point.
I have also weigh the truck before loading it. Of course that is not possible if you hit the scales while on the road with your rig just do it the with and without WD engaged.

(I am fortunate to have a cat scale 15 minutes from my house so I can play around.)
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote