Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Blairstown , New Jersey
CAT Scale weigh, Help!

So we finally managed to get the 1987 25' Sovereign to a CAT scale attached to the TV (2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee HEMI w/Factory Tow).

These are the numbers we got:
1st weigh TV with WD connected to Airstream:
Pad 1 (TV and me onboard @ 220bs) 6420 lb
Pad 2 (Both AS axles) 4900 lb. Total 11320 lb.

2nd weigh Tongue on Pad 1 and Airstream on 2, TV on 3 disconnected.
Pad 1 Tongue 1140 lb !!!! The distribution bars were resting next to the tongue base.
Pad 2 AS axles 4660 lb
Pad 3 TV with wife @ 135lb and attached hitch 5420 lb.

I had a cow because AS specifies a hitch weight of 700 lb for the MY and the GC limit is 720 lb.
Also, @ 1140 lb tongue weight is a whopping 20% of total weight.
Is there anything wrong with those numbers?
Help, we may have to move up to a heavy duty just for the payload and tongue weight.
Robertone139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Yep, what a shocker. But your TW may be close to published it is likely heavier than 700 alone. See below though.

What you have is called payload. That is whatever you have attached to the front portion of the AS and what you have loaded inside plus the extra’s or aftermarket items you may have. Tank fluids, WD system, etc... is not part of the TW base numbers.

You did not state what you have in or outside of the AS.

I would say you are over the limit with the Jeep GC.

Upgrade time ?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Your trailer is .... errr....30 years old. Is it 100% stock? Has somebody added bigger this or that over the years? ( like bigger batteries).

AS tongue weight numbers over the years have varied from "a bit low" to "way low", when compared to the real world on a loaded trailer. Expecting them to come out right on the money on a "loaded for camping" trailer ... not so much.

For real fun, weight your hitch and bars, also weigh what's in the front of the trailer. I'd bet you come up with a couple hundred pounds that would not be in the AS estimate. Next thing to check: Did AS fill the propane tanks or their estimate in 1987? How big were the stock tanks back then?

To really know what sort of shape your Jeep is in - weight the front and rear axles without the trailer. They weight them again with the trailer hooked up. Compare the numbers you get to the rated numbers on the axles.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
CAT scales

To really see what the deal really is you need to have the TV front axle on pad #1, TV rear axle on pad #2, and the trailer axles on pad #3.

Do this 3 times.

Once - all set up as ready to tow.
Again - with WD bars undone
Last - really just need the TV axles on pad #1 and pad #2 - unhitch / drop the trailer on pad #3 (or in the lot somewhere) - you want your TV individual unladen axle weights.

Sounds as if your rear axle may be overloaded....................at a minimum.

What does the TV tire / payload sticker (driver's door frame) have for payload? That includes tongue weight............

2022 Escape 19
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
As noted above you need three weights..👍
TV alone.
TV & AS w/o WD.
TV & AS with WD set for travel, loaded for camping.

Bob
🇱🇷
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f68.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	312108   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f9d.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	312109  

Old 05-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
One other thing about the tongue weight. It sounds like you weighed the trailer with the trailer jack lowered onto one pad, with the wheels on another pad.

There is a difference between the weight on the jack, and the weight on the hitch ball of your tow vehicle. It's because of the distance between the two. The coupler is a little farther away from the axle, and as a result it sees a little less of the weight.

On my modern trailer, the distance is only 6 or 8 inches, so the weight difference isn't much. How far between the two on your trailer?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Blairstown , New Jersey
Trailer is stock, I believe.
Like some else said the propane tanks are the 30lb, but were they loaded or not when AS published the specs?
Robertone139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Something seems odd, all right. Our 87 Sovereign TW at a rally loaded for camping came in right at 750#. That’s with full 40# propane tanks.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
Yep, what a shocker. But your TW may be close to published it is likely heavier than 700 alone. See below though.

What you have is called payload. That is whatever you have attached to the front portion of the AS and what you have loaded inside plus the extra’s or aftermarket items you may have. Tank fluids, WD system, etc... is not part of the TW base numbers.

You did not state what you have in or outside of the AS.

I would say you are over the limit with the Jeep GC.

Upgrade time ?
Yep the constantly present 900# Gorrilla called Payload. People buying into the smaller and lower to the ground will work better.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #10
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
As noted above you need three weights..👍
TV alone.
TV & AS w/o WD.
TV & AS with WD set for travel, loaded for camping.

Bob
🇱🇷

... and the AS alone should be at Robert's #1 above & it should have the hitch on th AS- not on the GC - as you stated on your 2nd weighing - i.e.: your hitch & bars need to be complete on the trailer for total TW/HW - unless I misunderstood that you kept your WD Hitch Head coupled to the Tow Bar on the GC. That could be another 20-50 lbs. on the TW/HW not counted in your weighing.

However, and as SSquared said - the TW/HW is out further than the tongue jack, & the actual TW/HW will be a different wt. due to the added length of that fulcrum point at the ball on tow bar point. So you need the weigh the trailer of TW/HW & it's total weight with the complete WD/AS hitch assembly on the trailer.

IMHO you'll be better off getting the TW/HW on a level pad/driveway/street at home with the WD/AS hitch attached as if ready to tow by using a Sherline or similar tongue wt. scale to get the actual complete TW/HW. The tongue scale will be set up to sit under the WD hitch's contact point in the hitch receiver of the TV.

That way you can play around with how & where you load your gear, fill-level of tanks up front vs. behind the axles, etc. to see if you can get a better balance to pull some unneeded wt. off of the hitch. You may be doing a Lucille Ball in "The Long Long Trailer" movie with her rocks & boxes of jam/etc. up in the front of their trailer in the movie - but with your gear - & thereby pushing more wt. on the hitch of the TV.

Also, if you have holding tanks in various points in the trailer (LP, fresh, grey, black), then typically run with some full, !/2, empty etc. - then their locations & fill state (read wt.) can shift the TW/HW around depending upon relative locations to each other & fore & aft of the axles.

Your AS will be significantly more than the factory stated TW/HW, but you can do some adjusting of it by where & how you load & fill-up the trailer's tanks. As others have stated also - if there was significant remodeling - say, if you or a PO used regular heavy construction grade plywood, OSB or particle board for new floors, cabinetry, furniture, etc. - then your AS would be heavier than when new with lighter marine plywood in those items.

For example, our 1960 Avion T20 factory TW/HW is listed in the manuals as only 285#, but it weighs in with the Sherline scale as 545# wet & loaded (no grey tank, black was at 1/4 full at the rear bath behind the singe axle), with full 2x 30# LP, a modified 27 gal poly fresh tank & elec. pump at the front wall (tank lighter than the original 20 gal. with air pump, offset by more water), plus my Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller mounted on a 12" x 18" x 1/8" steel plate on the tongue, manual tongue jack (not electric), plus our 160# Hensley Cub WD/AS hitch assembly, & stuff stored under the front dinette. So it just about doubled the TW/HW of the trailer with that 260# weight gain over dry/empty & no options factory TW/HW.

I can probably reduce that TW/HW somewhat when I mount bikes/rack & spare on my T20 bumper, but your tandem axle AS may not get as much fulcrum/see-saw effect out of weight items' movement & changes in fill levels. Check with other owners of the same AS model, plus look into your AS's history on mods, then play with it a bit.

Also on the GC - you need to look at all of the GCWR vs. the actual total of the loaded TV+AS, the GVWR vs. GC Curb Wt. (includes full fuel/fluids & 150# driver) plus you-over-150#+wife/passengers+gear in &/or on the GC+TW/HW, & the same as divided between the F & R axles of the GC on it's GAWR for F & R axles. You have to be within all of those limits - in addition to just the TW/HW & towing capacity ratings of the GC.

Happy Memorial Day & Good Luck!

Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertone139 View Post
So we finally managed to get the 1987 25' Sovereign to a CAT scale attached to the TV (2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee HEMI w/Factory Tow).

These are the numbers we got:
1st weigh TV with WD connected to Airstream:
Pad 1 (TV and me onboard @ 220bs) 6420 lb
Pad 2 (Both AS axles) 4900 lb. Total 11320 lb.

2nd weigh Tongue on Pad 1 and Airstream on 2, TV on 3 disconnected.
Pad 1 Tongue 1140 lb !!!! The distribution bars were resting next to the tongue base.
Pad 2 AS axles 4660 lb
Pad 3 TV with wife @ 135lb and attached hitch 5420 lb.

I had a cow because AS specifies a hitch weight of 700 lb for the MY and the GC limit is 720 lb.
Also, @ 1140 lb tongue weight is a whopping 20% of total weight.
Is there anything wrong with those numbers?
Help, we may have to move up to a heavy duty just for the payload and tongue weight.
There is nothing wrong with the trailer!
There are two primary problems with your methods.
1. Balance - it is up to you to add payload to the trailer correctly, so that tongue weight is what it should be. Balance the load over the axles.
2. The way you measured tongue weight is completely wrong, creating an error in your measurement. When you lifted the hitch above the ball you took weight off of the front trailer axle. That weight from the front axle was redistributed onto the jack foot and the rear axle of the trailer. Think about how a class 2 lever works.

If you would have pulled the tow vehicle forward and let the jack down to level the trailer, the weight would have been lower, much closer to what you expected.
When weighing tongue weight accurately the trailer MUST BE LEVEL so that each axle has about equal load, then either use a scale at the hitch (not the jack foot) or use the three step method at the Cat Scale. Measuring at the jack foot, can be close but is not as accurate as measuring at the ball location.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Trailer is stock, I believe.
Like some else said the propane tanks are the 30lb, but were they loaded or not when AS published the specs?
"30# propane tanks" don't weigh 30 lb, they hold 30 lb of propane.

Steel "30#" cylinders weigh about 24 lb empty, aluminum ones are about 17 (the original tare weight of the empty cylinder is stamped on the collar)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Our 1988, 25' Excella, center bath weighs 6300 lbs loaded, adds 800 lbs to the truck weight when hitched, and carries 5500 lbs on the trailer axles. When I weighed I left the hitch receiver on the truck so it did not count in the weight added by the trailer. 2 full propane bottles, 2 batteries, and no spare tire. I have never gotten a tongue weight for the trailer sitting by itself. I think if I were you I would try to do the CAT scales again or/and buy a Sherline scale.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I had another thought about the weight-on-jack measurement you have. When you lifted the coupler up above the ball and pulled your truck forward, did you leave the trailer nose-high? If the tongue jack is lifting the trailer above level, especially with older stiffer torsion axles, you may be carrying more weight on the tongue jack and rear axle and less on the front axle than would be the case with the trailer level. This is a possibility in addition to several of the others mentioned (weight method, jack weight vs coupler weight, etc.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
So we finally managed to get the 1987 25' Sovereign to a CAT scale attached to the TV (2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee

We drive a 2014 Jeep GC Ecodiesel which has the same towing package and specs as your HEMI. When we purchased our 23 FC we preferred the 25 FC. Both the dealer and AS manual listed tongue weights suggested that the 25’ would work for us. But we read the AS forums and knew the listed TW is well below actual ready to roll TW for AS trailers.

I use a CAT scale before all long trips and also a Sherline TW scale to get accurate measures as others describe here. We are always well below our towing capacity at 7,200 lbs (usually 5,600 lbs fully loaded with fresh H2O), but our tongue weight (measured at the coupler, not the jack base) usually is close to 700 lbs. The big problem is to keep our TV payload to less than the allowable 1,050 lbs in the Jeep (wife and I are 280 combined, plus 700 lbs on the tongue, portable solar panels at 37 lbs, our 20 lb. Westie, and a few small items take up the allowable payload).

We have enjoyed very safe and comfortable towing with our Jeep-23 FC combo for 40,000+ miles across high passes in all types of conditions. I am not sure if I would be saying this if we had purchased the 25 FC. If we decide to go up to a 25’ we definitely would budget for a new TV to allow for increased TW and payload. Any time you need to take such great care on so many simultaneous variables it increases the likelihood that the margin of safety is diminished due to unknown or non-considered factors. Everything might be great until fatigue finally breaks the overloaded TV rear axle somewhere in the middle of Utah.

That said, I have seen a number of AS 25’s being towed by Jeep GCs and heard a couple offavorable reports from owners at camps.

I’m impressed with your diligence and wish you many pink (as opposed to white) knuckle miles!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Coopersburg , Pennsylvania
Don’t give up! We have successfully towed our 27FB with a 2011 JGC Hemi with no problems. Verified by CAT scales (front axle, rear axle, trailer pad method) to be well within GAWR and GCWR specs.
BillF95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #17
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
When I weighed I left the hitch receiver on the truck so it did not count in the weight added by the trailer.

Just to be clear - I didn't say to take the hitch receiver itself off of the TV (even though it does add wt. to the TV's rear axle) - but to leave the WD hitch complete with the trailer, because it all adds wt. to the HW - including the draw bar/tow bar with ball or stinger (for Hensley/ProPride).

If that it left with the TV, then the trailer HW will be low by the 20-50+/- lbs. of the WD/AS hitch mechanisms.

PS - That is ho the Sherline HW Scale says to do it - entire WD/AS hitch assy. & tow bar/all on the trailer for an accurate wt.

If you're withing 50-100 lbs. of your TV'sHW limit, then the hitch assy. wt. can easily unknowingly put you over if not included. It sounds like the OP & GC owner above ar at or over their GC's HW limit.

Happy Memorial Day & Thanx to our Vets!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 05-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #18
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
The big problem is to keep our TV payload to less than the allowable 1,050 lbs in the Jeep (wife and I are 280 combined,

You should deduct 150 lbs. for the driver already included in the curb wt. (if you didn't) - since per SAE & other standards, curb wt. must include the driver at 150 lbs. plus all fuel & other fluids at full (coolant, oil, DFE, brakes, PS/PB fluids, etc.).

So also don't add for full fuel, for example.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Exactly what is or is not included in this or that manufacturer's number is a bit of an issue. There are some standards, but for the most part these guys seem to make it up as they go along. The number published here or there may include this or that and another published number on the same vehicle has a different set of things (not) included.

Many have suggested this is engineering by the marketing department.... If that is true, making decisions based on a hundred pounds this way or that may not be worth the effort. "Magic spring dust" is one term used for the same exact part numbers in a suspension suddenly becoming much more robust when the model year changes ....

There are lots of examples of people running vehicles way over their weight limits with no apparent issues. There are also many examples of people getting in all sorts of trouble with vehicles of all sorts. Figuring out what's what is far from easy. There is no quick or easy way to work out what's what.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
You should deduct 150 lbs. for the driver already included in the curb wt. (if you didn't) - since per SAE & other standards, curb wt. must include the driver at 150 lbs. plus all fuel & other fluids at full (coolant, oil, DFE, brakes, PS/PB fluids, etc.).

So also don't add for full fuel, for example.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

That statement regarding the driver weight may be a bit misleading if utilizing the NHTSA Tire & Loading payload value.

For calculating curb weight, that statement may be correct (depends on manufacture) , but the driver's weight is not already accounted for in the Tire and Loading sticker value.

Example wording from Ford below: (my emphasis added to "driver")

Steps for determining the correct load limit:
1. Locate the statement “The combined weight of occupants and cargo
should never exceed XXX pounds” on your vehicle’s label.

2. Determine the combined weight of the driver and passengers that will
be riding in your vehicle.

3. Subtract the combined weight of the driver and passengers from XXX
kilograms or XXX pounds.

4. The resulting figure equals the available amount of cargo and luggage
load capacity. For example, if the “XXX” amount equals 635 kg (1400 lbs.)
and there will be five 68 kg (150 lbs.) passengers in your vehicle, the
amount of available cargo and luggage load capacity is 650 lbs.
(1400–750 (5 x 150) = 650 lbs.). Metric conversion; 295 kg (635–340
(5 x 68) = 295 kg).

5. Determine the combined weight of luggage and cargo being loaded on
the vehicle. That weight may not safely exceed the available cargo and
luggage load capacity calculated in Step 4.

6. If your vehicle will be towing a trailer, load from your trailer will be
transferred to your vehicle. Consult this manual to determine how this
reduces the available cargo and luggage load capacity of your vehicle

2022 Escape 19
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote