Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
Cat scale readings

Went to the cat scales today. I have a 28' international that I tow with a 2015 Ford F150 ecoboost crew cab.
My weight readings with the distribution bars attached were
Steer axle: 3240
Drive axle: 3740
Trailer axle: 5660
All the tanks in the trailer were empty.
I have pro style distribution bars with the chains on the ends. To adjust you add or subtract a link. I'm on the third link now.
I think if I go to four links I might be more even front to back on the axle weight but the truck and trailer are pretty level now.
I'm afraid of beating up the trailer if I go too heavy on the bars. I've read that Ford warns against too much weight on the front axle.
Can someone with a F150 give me some advice?
Not sure if I should be happy with theses reading or not.
Thanks in advance.
printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's best to have made three passes across the scale, same day.

Preferably loaded for vacation; full propane and water also.

Same for truck. Full fuel and the vacation load.

First pass is both vehicles with WD bars under tension.

Second pass is as above, but WD bars slack.

Third is truck solo.

Cannot really say good, bad, indifferent without being able to "see" the rig as above.

For general purposes, your current readings are a check on door placard axle limits and for TV tire pressures.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
As mentioned your single pass gives you only 1/3 of the calculations. If it was a CAT scale you can do additional weighings within 24 hours of the first ticket for $2 each. Do a search on how to weigh by searching for Ron Gratz
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Deland , Florida
First pass with no bars
Steer axle 2900
Drive axle 4200
Trailer axle 5520
I'll have to go back and weigh the truck.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Pic's & 1000 words....

Notice that all but 100lbs has been restored to the TV front axle.

What you don't see.....The TV & AS are dead level, loaded for camping with the WD set.
I'm within the load ratings for the receiver, tires, and TV axles

1st...TV alone

2nd...no WD, 3rd...WD set.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by printman View Post
---I think if I go to four links I might be more even front to back on the axle weight but the truck and trailer are pretty level now.
I'm afraid of beating up the trailer if I go too heavy on the bars. I've read that Ford warns against too much weight on the front axle.---
For your truck, Ford specifies that the WDH should be adjusted to restore approximately 50% of the load which was removed from the front axle when the TT was attached with no WD applied.
Your scales data do not allow us to calculate how much load was removed from the front axle, so we'll have to make some guesses.

If the TT's tongue weight was 800#, a load of approximately 320# would have been removed from the front axle.
Your scales data (with some minor adjustments) indicate approximately 330# was restored when WD was applied.
This means the front axle load restoration, assuming an 800# TW, would have been about 100%.

If the TT's tongue weight was 1000#, a load of approximately 400# would have been removed from the front axle.
This means the front axle load restoration, assuming a 1000# TW, would have been about 80%.
And, if the TW was 1200#, FALR would have been about 70%.

For this range of TW estimates, the WDH was transferring more load than required by Ford.

To get a measure of the TT's tongue weight, you'll need to weigh the TV by itself.
The loading of the TV should be as close as possible to what it was when you made the other measurements.
Also, the WDH should be in the receiver and the WD bars should be in the hitch or in the back of the truck box.

Ron
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Deland , Florida
Thanks for the info guys. I'll go back and have the TV weighed.
To weigh the trailer by itself, should I just park it on one scale and unhitch it? I think I read somewhere that the jack should be on one scale and the axles on another. Is that the way to get the tongue weight?
As I was weighing the trailer a huge 5th wheel camper pulled in. It had 3 axles. The tire on the center axle was blown. Did some damage to the camper. Proof again good tires are worth the price.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
TW will be deduced by the three passes.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
---To weigh the trailer by itself, should I just park it on one scale and unhitch it? I think I read somewhere that the jack should be on one scale and the axles on another. Is that the way to get the tongue weight?---
To measure the tongue weight directly in one pass, you should be able to position the rig so the truck's axles are on the first scale section, the tongue jack is on the second, and the TT's axles are on the third.

Be sure there is no load on the ball and the TT is level when the weighing is made.

And, be sure to ask the scale operator if it is okay to unhitch the TT from the TV.

Ron
Old 08-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Cat scale readings

Start with the scale master on arrival if you want to be exact about TW. (See also Bathroom Scale Method via Google search.

That is at the fuel desk; the one dealing with truck concerns at the door nearest the diesel fuel island, NOT the front door gasoline and junk food cashier.

Most do not allow trailers to be dropped on the scale. Explain that it is a travel trailer. And you MUST have substantial chocks for trailer tire.

I would add a fourth pass. Re-weighs are about $2 ea.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Deland , Florida
Went back today and weighed my TV.
Steer axle: 3260
Drive Axle: 2820
The only difference was my wife was not in the TV this time.
The steer weight is almost identical with the bars installed.
What you guys think? Am I transferring too much weight to the front axle?
Measurement with bars is
Steer axle: 3240
Drive axle: 3740
Trailer: 5660

Measurement without bars:
Steer Axle: 2900
Drive Axle: 4200
trailer: 5520
Old 08-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Cat scale readings

I think you're at a good place. With TT tires at sidewall maximum pressure, get the TV tires adjusted according to door placard numbers.

Also recommend you read Andrew Thomsons Hitch Hint column in RV Lifestyle magazine from the 11/14 RV Buyers Guide edition. Search online; and other of his articles can be accessed through the Can Am RV website (not to mention posts and threads on this site).

Since you now know how to achieve 100% FALR, Part Two is: on a piece of level ground, learn to take the fender measurements as Andy recommends to achieve equal squat. One of these two lash ups is to be preferred, IMO.

The 50% FALR per Ford is likely to be the lash up with the least amount of good handling.

Keep a log, note single changes (as to FF or RR TV tire pressure alone, say, not along with a change to one of these other three hitch settings, but separately, until things about the change are clear to you) and do a little experimenting.

Most folks won't even do as little as you've done. But it's an excellent place to start.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Went back today and weighed my TV.
Steer axle: 3260
Drive Axle: 2820
The only difference was my wife was not in the TV this time.
The steer weight is almost identical with the bars installed.
What you guys think? Am I transferring too much weight to the front axle?
If we add 100# (for the missing passenger) distributed 60# to the front axle, and if we add 20# to the previous no-bars front axle weight (to make the GCWs equal), the three sets of adjusted scales data show very good agreement.

The indicated tongue weight is about 940# with 140# being transferred to the TT's axles via the WDH.

With the adjusted numbers, 400# is removed from the front axle when hitched with no WD applied, and 320# is restored when WD is applied.
The front axle load restoration of 320/400 = 80% is greater than the 50% specified by Ford for the 2015 F-150.

IMO, you should not attempt to transfer more load to the front axle.

Ron
Old 08-09-2015, 04:55 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Good to go.

If you feel the load for a specific trip is outside those values...re-weigh.
Other than that...... Enjoy!!

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Deland , Florida
Thanks for the help. One less thing to worry about as I head down the highway.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
Printman - thanks for the detailed write-up, and everyone for the helpful advice. I'll be doing this very soon. New truck and AS arrives very soon.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Thanks for the help. One less thing to worry about as I head down the highway.
So, going by your weight figures, the total weight(Gross combined weight) is 12640. And, if you subtract the actual weight of your uncoupled tow vehicle(6080) then subtracting that from GCW is 6560 lbs., which would be weight of trailer and tongue weight combined. 6560 minus 6080(TV weight) would be approximate actual tongue weight(900lbs) on tow vehicle. Is this correct way to figure the additional weight applied to the payload ratings of the tow vehicle by the trailer?
coolbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbikeman View Post
So, going by your weight figures, the total weight(Gross combined weight) is 12640. And, if you subtract the actual weight of your uncoupled tow vehicle(6080) then subtracting that from GCW is 6560 lbs., which would be weight of trailer and tongue weight combined. 6560 minus 6080(TV weight) would be approximate actual tongue weight(900lbs) on tow vehicle. Is this correct way to figure the additional weight applied to the payload ratings of the tow vehicle by the trailer?
Sorry, should have checked my post before submitting. I should have said The total trailer weight(6560) minus the original trailer axle only weight(5660) would be a 900lb. tongue weight.
coolbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote