Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
Car tires

Can someone please tell that I'm gonna be alright towing my triple axle 72 miles on car tires? I'm scared to death & with such short notice, that's all can find around here used. I can't afford new tires right now & that's as far as they will ever go if i can feel safe doing it. All 6 have to be replaced.

Thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
Tampatomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Depends on the car tires. I would have no concerns with XL P-Metric tires that weren't showing signs of rot.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Passenger car tires have a less stable side wall then truck & trailer tires. When a trailer turns a corner a lot of pressure is exerted to that tire sidewall eventually causing the tire to create a bubble that leads to a blowout. If possible find LT tires (truck) for your short trip, car tires might do the job but its risky.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampatomgirl View Post
Can someone please tell that I'm gonna be alright towing my triple axle 72 miles on car tires? I'm scared to death & with such short notice, that's all can find around here used. I can't afford new tires right now & that's as far as they will ever go if i can feel safe doing it. All 6 have to be replaced.

Thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
What is the reason they have to be replaced? Age, holes, cracks, etc?

You might be better off using the existing tires if they are S or ST rated tires, than a mismatched bunch of used car tires. Inflate them and see if they hold air. If they do, you could be good to go. GO SLOW!!!

However, if you must use car tires:
1. Make sure they all are the exact same type and the same size. (do not mix radial with other types like bias ply tires)
2. Look at the date code that is stamped on each tire. If they are more than 5 years old, do not by them. They are too old.
3. Your trailer has 3000 lb axles, so each tire should be capable of supporting more than 50% of the load. Since the load of the trailer is not always equal on the tires my opinion is at least a 15% safety margin is required. Car tires have to be load de-rated by 10% when you use them on a trailer. Look at the sidewall of the tire and find the maximum load rating. I think the minimum acceptable maximum load rating for a passenger car tire (type P) should be ~1,800 lbs for your trailer's tires.
4. Inflate the tires to the maximum allowable, also noted on the sidewall. Also make sure all tires are inflated equally so that they all are capable of carrying the same load.
5. While you are towing try to not turn sharply. A 3 axle trailer will pivot on the center axle tires and drag the front and rear tires onto the sidewalls. You do not want to do this while using car tires. BLOWOUT!

Good luck!

Again, whichever method you do, GO SLOW!

PS: Don't forget to check out the spare and carry a jack and tools in case you need them.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One more thing. It is extremely important that the hitch ball be set to a height that makes the trailer set level while towing. If it's not level the tires are not loaded equally.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
What size car tires? Often they are better than trailer tires. You are likely fine as a 34 has very little weight per tire. It does need to be level.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #7
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
Thank you all so much! My choices are limited & 2 of the tires i was sold are 215/75R/15. The rest are 225/75R/15. The places i have dealt with so far have lied to me & told me they had the exact tires i needed, but don't. I'm stuck with what i have. I'll check all this out tomorrow, but the 215's have to go on. I can't take them back & money is being gobbled up left & right. Being angry & frustrated is futile at this point. I'm told the difference is slight, but unsure where to place these two tires. Front, middle or back? Seems the front will be higher than the back no matter what we do, so logic says to put them on the front, but this is bizarre & i know nothing about any of this.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampatomgirl View Post
I'm told the difference is slight, but unsure where to place these two tires. Front, middle or back? Seems the front will be higher than the back no matter what we do, so logic says to put them on the front, but this is bizarre & i know nothing about any of this.
The numbers 215 and 225 are the width of the tire, not the height. I don't think it makes any difference on the position but put them on the same axle, like both front or middle or back (one on each side). If you're only going 78 miles I don't think it would make a difference. If you travel on the interstate keep to the right and go slow, maybe 50-55. Make sure they are properly inflated. Low tire pressure will create more heat in the tire.

For that short a distance I'm sure you'll be OK. Good luck.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You should not have any problems with the P rated tires given the short distance you are traveling.
Triple axle trailers are famous for tire drag when turning. So make wide turns if possible.
Go slow 50mph or so and you will be OK.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
215 is the width of the tire, 75 is the aspect ratio and 15 is your rim size. Your 225/75R15 well be about .5 inches taller and wider. So if your trailer is tongue high like you mentioned I would mount the smaller ones (215/75R15) on the rear axle.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #11
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
While this is a terrible idea, I see you have no choice. Be sure to inflate the 215 tires to 44 psi. Then tow as slowly as you can.

Then plan on replacing the tires with the proper ones. Now that you know that the tires have to be ordered, plan ahead. EVERY tire dealer ought to be able to get proper tires within a few days from their tire distributor.

Good Luck
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #12
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
I appreciate all the responses. I had no warning, so I have to work with what i have. I planned to put all new tires on in April. Best laid plans...It's life. Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
The numbers 215 and 225 are the width of the tire, not the height.
That maybe true, but the outer diameter of the tire will be different from the 215 and the 225 if the tire has the same aspect ratio (the 50,60, 65,70 number in the follow). A 215/65R15 would be 26.02" in diameter, where as a 225/65R15 would be 26.54" in diameter as another poster already suggested.

Always use a tool like this to find true tire sizes, especially if upsizing a wheel or tire to try and maintain the same or close actual diameter.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/ty...ire-dimensions

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote