Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #29
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Good info. Sometimes we stay at a campground that has one dump on the property. I have been tempted to just put the AS on the ball and drive to dump, not wanting to do a full hookup with the Blue Ox... I always have, just to be sure...

HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetyfirst View Post
I picked up a new 30 Classic and towed it home on the ball only. About 90 miles, mostly interstate. Zero problem. Not saying you should but locally I do it regularly.
I am not in the habit of tempting faith however if these trailers are that unstable and fragile that you need to have elaborate hitches to use them I am not interested in owning one at all.
I have towed many of trailers hauling construction equipment with my pick ups over the years and never knew that WD/SP hitches existed until we bought or first Airstream. That and the floor separation issues. At first I told my wife lets get rid of this thing its a death trap.
Than common sense got hold of me.
I have picked up many good ideas and advice over the years participating in this forum but I learned that you have to spend some time reading through the none sense before you find the gem.

franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #31
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Yes you can.

You should be able to tow, even on public roads, as long as you are not driving at highway speeds. Around town at less than 40 mph you will not set up a sway condition and not build tire temperatures that would cause a failure.
I concur.

I've done it to re-position my trailer from Carport to curb side in front of my house, I have to go around the block to do it.
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Besides my posts of towing AS on ball I also pull flat bed imp. trailer with skid steer, back hoe, medium bull dozer, large commercial mower, tractors, etc. on pintle hitch at 65 mph + or - w/out any prob. and almost all items weigh much more than a 30ft. AS. Only have to watch loading balance so no sway. I have towed these items for many yrs. For Q. asked about on ball IMO go for it.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
As long as you don’t exceed the weight carrying rating on the hitch and the combination has adequate stability, tow it anywhere you’d like in that configuration.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #34
nixpix

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Wyoming
When to use weight distribution and when not.

As many others have pointed out, towing with your setup without weight distribution is no problem for short distances at low speed. For years I have used a similar setup with no weight distribution for long distances at high speeds without issue.

Something that has not been pointed out is that on rough roads, in tight turning conditions or on roads with big dips it is actually important to remove the weight distribution as otherwise you risk damaging your hitch. Good examples of these kinds of conditions would be getting into remote campsites, driving on Forest Service or BLM roads.
nixpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
No problem. Under 40 mph we do it all the time (Sprinter 3500/Suburban 2500). The delivery guys cruise at hwy speeds with no WD and no prob. That’s not for me, but under 40, go for it.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I have a question as to whether I can tow safely short distances on non-public roads without using weight distribution. For example, moving my RV on my property or from campsite to campsite within the same campground. All distances are less than 1 mile.

I have a 2018 Globetrotter. Max trailer weight loaded of 7,600 lbs and tongue weight estimated to be around 1,000. My TV is a 2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax. The confusion for me is the weight info on the hitch sticker and the weight info on the VIN lookup for my vehicle. The sticker on the hitch indicates tongue weight of 1,500 and max trailer weight of 13,000 with no mention of weight distribution, see picture.

The VIN lookup states 500 lbs Dead Weight Hitch Max Tongue weight and 5,000 lbs Dead Weight Hitch. It then states 1,300 lbs max tongue weight and 13,000 max trailer weight with weight distribution.

Im thinking the stamp on the hitch is what I go by and would be able to tow these short distances without weight distribution but looking for input / confirmation from the forum.
yes I do it all the time from my storage lot to my house
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Jacksonville , Florida
Ditto. Same problem. Words do not express my outrage!
Mento05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
yes I do it all the time from my storage lot to my house
The function of the WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION is to remove excessive weight from your TV rear axle and distribute some of it to its front axle and back to the Trailer axle.
That should also give the TV a level ride.

franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote