Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
I have traveled thousands of miles with my 2011 Flying Cloud and Tundra TRD with air bags "free balling" with zero issues. It's the nut behind the stearing wheel most of the time that causes accidents, blow outs, etc. Don't exceed the mph your tires are rated for and watch where you're going.
bobgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #22

1971 29' Ambassador
rosenberg , Texas
Just put on a good set of airbags and forget about all that other stuff. I have pulled my 29ft.ambassador all over the country at all speeds, and never had a problem.
lfhs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I was having my parking pad for my Globetrotter updated and literally had to move it about 50 feet from my pad to my front yard. I had heard this truck could tow this weight w/o weight distribution but was conflicted as to whether the hitch was limited to 500 lbs tongue weight or 1,500 as the hitch stated. I didn’t want to have my hitch drop off in my front yard. I was pretty sure the truck could handle it and appreciate your confirmation of this.

I’m pretty much a creature of habit as well and go thru my routine for hitching / unhitching. These are the only 2 situations I can see doing this and definitely use the W/D / sway control as my normal procedure. When my pad is complete I feel comfortable moving it back using just the Equalizer hitch without the W/D / Sway bars. Thanks again for your input.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I think everyone has missed the issue. The trailer is not the issue nor the TV it is the Hitch receiver that is the problem. Forces greater than the 500 pounds dead weight put excessive loads on the receiver that can cause cracking of the receiver. If this wasn't the case then the rating would be higher. Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Well, if you inspect the receiver for cracking when you are done take your chances. Cracking happens on the back end of the receiver. Have to crawl under the TV and look on the top side of the receiver. Generally the cracks start out very small, Microscopic and then grow. Since I don't have to pay for the damage or do the inspection all I can say is what's so hard about hooking up the WD? I guess I am too cheap to take the risk.

Happy Streaming and good luck
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I think many are delivered to dealers with a 2500, on the ball. Quite sure mine was...

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
The VIN lookup states 500 lbs Dead Weight Hitch – Max Tongue weight and 5,000 lbs Dead Weight Hitch. It then states 1,300 lbs max tongue weight and 13,000 max trailer weight with weight distribution.
The 500/5000lb numbers are if you were to mount a hitch ball to the center of your bumper (old school) not using the installed hitch. You are fine towing anywhere, at any legal speed, with a naked ball attached to the stock hitch assembly, as far as your weights go (up to 1300lb).
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
The 500/5000lb numbers are if you were to mount a hitch ball to the center of your bumper (old school) not using the installed hitch. You are fine towing anywhere, at any legal speed, with a naked ball attached to the stock hitch assembly, as far as your weights go (up to 1300lb).
(Quote) I think everyone has missed the issue. The trailer is not the issue nor the TV it is the Hitch receiver that is the problem. Forces greater than the 500 pounds dead weight put excessive loads on the receiver that can cause cracking of the receiver. If this wasn't the case then the rating would be higher. (Quote)

These last 2 replies were of interest to me. The second one made me think that towing on the ball may not be safe to tow w/o W/D. The first one provided clarification for me and cleared up the 500 / 5,000 lb limit stated in my VIN lookup.

With regard to the second quoted reply. In my mind the hitch on my 2500 includes the receiver and the receiver is the square tube that you slide the Equalizer solid shaft and ball into. Since the stamp on the hitch is rated for 1,300 lbs without weight distribution it would appear to me that it could be towed these short distances w/o weight distribution. I would be interested in gr. Austin's thoughts if he agree's with that in my situation. I can see where his statement may apply in other situations but I don't think it applies in this particular situation.

I always plan on using W/D for any other towing use. However, just for conversation – when I was looking for a tow vehicle I had a long conversation with another Globetrotter owner who used to work as an engineer for Honda. He said Honda did not recommend W/D when towing as it made towing less safe rather than more safe.

He said W/D was invented because most vehicles did not have a rear axle weighting good enough to support the tongue weight / cargo. W/D can also add additional length behind the hitch and this length also increase the amount of weight put on the rear axle. Long bed SUV’s and other vehicles also have this fulcrum effect of adding addt’l weight to the rear axle. This distance not only increases the amount of weight on the tongue but the distance also increases the chance for more sway. The reason you don’t see W/D on heavy equipment vehicles is that their rear axles are strong enough to support the weight without using weight distribution.

At the time I had a Chevy Suburban half ton 5.3L SUV. I looked at the owners manual towing section and it mentioned the fulcrum effect of the tongue weight but never quantified it. It never made sense to me until after I had this conversation with this engineer. My SUV did not have the towing package and I didn’t feel like spending $$’s to upgrade a vehicle that may or may not tow properly.

This engineer had chosen the 2500HD Duramax as his tow vehicle for his Globetrotter and after add’t research I ended up doing the same.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
I tow my 2018 Serenity 28 (961lbs tongue weight) from my house to the storage yard (3 miles) without WD. F250 doesn’t even flinch.
I would not tow at highway speeds without WD/Sway.
brick
come on Brick.......wowwwwwww
was thinking Brick knowa all
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #29
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Good info. Sometimes we stay at a campground that has one dump on the property. I have been tempted to just put the AS on the ball and drive to dump, not wanting to do a full hookup with the Blue Ox... I always have, just to be sure...
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetyfirst View Post
I picked up a new 30 Classic and towed it home on the ball only. About 90 miles, mostly interstate. Zero problem. Not saying you should but locally I do it regularly.
I am not in the habit of tempting faith however if these trailers are that unstable and fragile that you need to have elaborate hitches to use them I am not interested in owning one at all.
I have towed many of trailers hauling construction equipment with my pick ups over the years and never knew that WD/SP hitches existed until we bought or first Airstream. That and the floor separation issues. At first I told my wife lets get rid of this thing its a death trap.
Than common sense got hold of me.
I have picked up many good ideas and advice over the years participating in this forum but I learned that you have to spend some time reading through the none sense before you find the gem.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #31
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Yes you can.

You should be able to tow, even on public roads, as long as you are not driving at highway speeds. Around town at less than 40 mph you will not set up a sway condition and not build tire temperatures that would cause a failure.
I concur.

I've done it to re-position my trailer from Carport to curb side in front of my house, I have to go around the block to do it.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Besides my posts of towing AS on ball I also pull flat bed imp. trailer with skid steer, back hoe, medium bull dozer, large commercial mower, tractors, etc. on pintle hitch at 65 mph + or - w/out any prob. and almost all items weigh much more than a 30ft. AS. Only have to watch loading balance so no sway. I have towed these items for many yrs. For Q. asked about on ball IMO go for it.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
As long as you don’t exceed the weight carrying rating on the hitch and the combination has adequate stability, tow it anywhere you’d like in that configuration.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #34
nixpix

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Wyoming
When to use weight distribution and when not.

As many others have pointed out, towing with your setup without weight distribution is no problem for short distances at low speed. For years I have used a similar setup with no weight distribution for long distances at high speeds without issue.

Something that has not been pointed out is that on rough roads, in tight turning conditions or on roads with big dips it is actually important to remove the weight distribution as otherwise you risk damaging your hitch. Good examples of these kinds of conditions would be getting into remote campsites, driving on Forest Service or BLM roads.
nixpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
No problem. Under 40 mph we do it all the time (Sprinter 3500/Suburban 2500). The delivery guys cruise at hwy speeds with no WD and no prob. That’s not for me, but under 40, go for it.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I have a question as to whether I can tow safely short distances on non-public roads without using weight distribution. For example, moving my RV on my property or from campsite to campsite within the same campground. All distances are less than 1 mile.

I have a 2018 Globetrotter. Max trailer weight loaded of 7,600 lbs and tongue weight estimated to be around 1,000. My TV is a 2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax. The confusion for me is the weight info on the hitch sticker and the weight info on the VIN lookup for my vehicle. The sticker on the hitch indicates tongue weight of 1,500 and max trailer weight of 13,000 with no mention of weight distribution, see picture.

The VIN lookup states 500 lbs Dead Weight Hitch – Max Tongue weight and 5,000 lbs Dead Weight Hitch. It then states 1,300 lbs max tongue weight and 13,000 max trailer weight with weight distribution.

I’m thinking the stamp on the hitch is what I go by and would be able to tow these short distances without weight distribution but looking for input / confirmation from the forum.
yes I do it all the time from my storage lot to my house
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Jacksonville , Florida
Ditto. Same problem. Words do not express my outrage!
Mento05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
yes I do it all the time from my storage lot to my house
The function of the WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION is to remove excessive weight from your TV rear axle and distribute some of it to its front axle and back to the Trailer axle.
That should also give the TV a level ride.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote