Old 08-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As a rather Old Phart, I tend to try to build safe habits when towing the Airstream, or doing anything else that has potential danger in it, like woodworking with power tools. My memory has never been what it "used to be", so I double-check every move. I have some rather weird-looking habits around sharp blades and powerful machinery, and it tends to look like a slow ballet at times. However, no major damage to my person or hardware so far...

While I agree with the idea that moving an Airstream short distances at low speeds without fully hooking up the hitch is generally not an issue, I find it better to do a full hook-up and follow the checklist to the letter.

Reason is that it trains the habit of doing it right each and every time. Doing a process correctly every time, especially a safety-related one, enhances safety. Just skipping a step, "Just this one time" for some reason, like not bothering putting the chocks in place and locked while unhitching for a "few moments" is a shortcut to disaster. Remember that Murphy is always lurking and waiting for you to screw up. Also keep in mind that, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, (at the worst possible moment)" is the essence of Murphy's Law, and in many circles, Murphy is considered to be an optimist.

We won't talk about the last ime I was all hooked up to the Airstream in our front yard, released the TV brakes, and, for some strange reason, could NOT get the trailer to move--until dear daughter piped up with, "Dad, are you going to release the chocks???" Dumb move, and in front of witnesses. No foul, but real dumb...

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I’ve done it (or do it) and the reasonableness of above proscriptions are correct.

But habits are hard to break. In this case the variables multiply. So I limit myself to across the parking lot or campground. No public roads. Not even across a road. (That good habit thing). It’s not enough to justify my actions, IOW. (A Hensley is “always” hooked up; just tension bars. Doesn’t matter. It is, or it isn’t).

Really well-said rmkrum. Thanks.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Iíve done it (or do it) and the reasonableness of above proscriptions are correct.

But habits are hard to break. In this case the variables multiply. So I limit myself to across the parking lot or campground. No public roads. Not even across a road. (That good habit thing). Itís not enough to justify my actions, IOW. (A Hensley is ďalwaysĒ hooked up; just tension bars. Doesnít matter. It is, or it isnít).

Really well-said rmkrum. Thanks.
Thanks. Writing in too much detail is one of my marginally bad habits around here... but I seriously try to be clear and accurate.

The ProPride is the same, either connected or not connected.

But I go ahead and hook up breakaway cable, safety chains, umbilical, check all the lights, pull chocks and retract stabilizers, disconnect hoses and power cable, etc. every time. Keeps the backup checklist in my head updated. The three walkarounds include looking high, middle and low for issues. All this before I fire up and go. Doesn't take long, but sure avoids dumb moves...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Correction to prev. post only have 1/2 inch sag. instead of 1&1/2 but over 40 to 50 mph hook up bars for sway. I'm very wary of sway after rolling 30 AS because of of hitch failure do to faulty design that manf. reimbursed in full. The transporters of new trailers don't use wd and bars, and some go faster than I do at 65 70 mph w/full hook up.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Louisville , Kentucky
I do exactly as you request without any problems at all... just consider distance from hitch, assembly to road even when navigating holes and ruts, and keep speeds low.
Wingman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I tow my 2018 Serenity 28 (961lbs tongue weight) from my house to the storage yard (3 miles) without WD. F250 doesn’t even flinch.
I would not tow at highway speeds without WD/Sway.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
I have traveled thousands of miles with my 2011 Flying Cloud and Tundra TRD with air bags "free balling" with zero issues. It's the nut behind the stearing wheel most of the time that causes accidents, blow outs, etc. Don't exceed the mph your tires are rated for and watch where you're going.
bobgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #22

1971 29' Ambassador
rosenberg , Texas
Just put on a good set of airbags and forget about all that other stuff. I have pulled my 29ft.ambassador all over the country at all speeds, and never had a problem.
lfhs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I was having my parking pad for my Globetrotter updated and literally had to move it about 50 feet from my pad to my front yard. I had heard this truck could tow this weight w/o weight distribution but was conflicted as to whether the hitch was limited to 500 lbs tongue weight or 1,500 as the hitch stated. I didnít want to have my hitch drop off in my front yard. I was pretty sure the truck could handle it and appreciate your confirmation of this.

Iím pretty much a creature of habit as well and go thru my routine for hitching / unhitching. These are the only 2 situations I can see doing this and definitely use the W/D / sway control as my normal procedure. When my pad is complete I feel comfortable moving it back using just the Equalizer hitch without the W/D / Sway bars. Thanks again for your input.
GOUSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I think everyone has missed the issue. The trailer is not the issue nor the TV it is the Hitch receiver that is the problem. Forces greater than the 500 pounds dead weight put excessive loads on the receiver that can cause cracking of the receiver. If this wasn't the case then the rating would be higher. Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Well, if you inspect the receiver for cracking when you are done take your chances. Cracking happens on the back end of the receiver. Have to crawl under the TV and look on the top side of the receiver. Generally the cracks start out very small, Microscopic and then grow. Since I don't have to pay for the damage or do the inspection all I can say is what's so hard about hooking up the WD? I guess I am too cheap to take the risk.

Happy Streaming and good luck
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I think many are delivered to dealers with a 2500, on the ball. Quite sure mine was...

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
The VIN lookup states 500 lbs Dead Weight Hitch Ė Max Tongue weight and 5,000 lbs Dead Weight Hitch. It then states 1,300 lbs max tongue weight and 13,000 max trailer weight with weight distribution.
The 500/5000lb numbers are if you were to mount a hitch ball to the center of your bumper (old school) not using the installed hitch. You are fine towing anywhere, at any legal speed, with a naked ball attached to the stock hitch assembly, as far as your weights go (up to 1300lb).
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
The 500/5000lb numbers are if you were to mount a hitch ball to the center of your bumper (old school) not using the installed hitch. You are fine towing anywhere, at any legal speed, with a naked ball attached to the stock hitch assembly, as far as your weights go (up to 1300lb).
(Quote) I think everyone has missed the issue. The trailer is not the issue nor the TV it is the Hitch receiver that is the problem. Forces greater than the 500 pounds dead weight put excessive loads on the receiver that can cause cracking of the receiver. If this wasn't the case then the rating would be higher. (Quote)

These last 2 replies were of interest to me. The second one made me think that towing on the ball may not be safe to tow w/o W/D. The first one provided clarification for me and cleared up the 500 / 5,000 lb limit stated in my VIN lookup.

With regard to the second quoted reply. In my mind the hitch on my 2500 includes the receiver and the receiver is the square tube that you slide the Equalizer solid shaft and ball into. Since the stamp on the hitch is rated for 1,300 lbs without weight distribution it would appear to me that it could be towed these short distances w/o weight distribution. I would be interested in gr. Austin's thoughts if he agree's with that in my situation. I can see where his statement may apply in other situations but I don't think it applies in this particular situation.

I always plan on using W/D for any other towing use. However, just for conversation Ė when I was looking for a tow vehicle I had a long conversation with another Globetrotter owner who used to work as an engineer for Honda. He said Honda did not recommend W/D when towing as it made towing less safe rather than more safe.

He said W/D was invented because most vehicles did not have a rear axle weighting good enough to support the tongue weight / cargo. W/D can also add additional length behind the hitch and this length also increase the amount of weight put on the rear axle. Long bed SUVís and other vehicles also have this fulcrum effect of adding addtíl weight to the rear axle. This distance not only increases the amount of weight on the tongue but the distance also increases the chance for more sway. The reason you donít see W/D on heavy equipment vehicles is that their rear axles are strong enough to support the weight without using weight distribution.

At the time I had a Chevy Suburban half ton 5.3L SUV. I looked at the owners manual towing section and it mentioned the fulcrum effect of the tongue weight but never quantified it. It never made sense to me until after I had this conversation with this engineer. My SUV did not have the towing package and I didnít feel like spending $$ís to upgrade a vehicle that may or may not tow properly.

This engineer had chosen the 2500HD Duramax as his tow vehicle for his Globetrotter and after addít research I ended up doing the same.
GOUSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Early Bird , Florida
hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
I tow my 2018 Serenity 28 (961lbs tongue weight) from my house to the storage yard (3 miles) without WD. F250 doesnít even flinch.
I would not tow at highway speeds without WD/Sway.
brick
come on Brick.......wowwwwwww
was thinking Brick knowa all

AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote