Old 07-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Message #14 was in response to #9 from Mr. Kottum.....hope that clears up asny confusion....

Kent
Houston

Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #16
Adrock

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Buffalo , New York
Tow rating

Looking to buy a new truck. How can I tell the towing capacity by looking at the sticker on the door jam?

Adam2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2026 View Post
Looking to buy a new truck. How can I tell the towing capacity by looking at the sticker on the door jam?
The label on the B-pillar tells you the max gross weights (total and per-axle) and payload capacity. Towing capacity is not mandated to be posted there so it's not. Ford publishes a guide every year, the "RV and Towing Guide" that shows the towing capacity for every truck, van and chassis-cab/cutaway they make. I'd guess the other manufacturers have a similar publication.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I have a 2016 with the 3.5 ECO Boost (truck is rated to tow 11,300) and tow a 2017 30' FC.

My first trip was a white knuckle experience. The truck and the trailer were all over the place on the highway at 60 mph. And the V-6 worked it's a$$ off in the VA mtns.

I put on a set of Firestone air bags and it helped but I still wasn't pleased.

I have since bought a ProPride 1400 # hitch. The white knuckle experience is gone and the truck is not working as hard to pull the rig. I tow between 60 - 65 mph.

There are a lot of opinions on this forum about needing a 3/4 ton truck, I had a 3/4 ton truck but the body was rusting away. I purchased the F-150 because my neighbor has one and pulls a brand "x" that weighs a ton and has three slides.

IMHO, the hitch makes all the difference in the world.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanMan5 View Post
I have a F-150 with the 5.0. You are at the max. You need to check the door placard and check the payload max which will be between 1100-1600 lbs. If you have all the options, you will be down at 1100 lbs. You will easily exceed this if you carry stuff because the tongue wt. and hitch will consume most of that.
Hardly.

Placard payload is useful when using the truck for hauling. It's ridiculous to consider when towing with a weight distribution hitch. The axle ratings are the limits and the w.d. hitch can ensure they are not overloaded, as well as distributing 20% or so of hitch weight to the trailer's axles.

Witness the thousands of travel trailers being towed by F150s, and many of them have marginal w.d setups. Airstreams are an easier, more stable tow than the masses because of their independent suspension, low center of gravity, and rounded side and frontal shape.

Weight ratings are a one-size-fits-all. Consider the things that really matter.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Revving a modern V8 won't hurt anything. There is a BIG misconception around here that you must have a $70k Diesel to pull with. The turbo in diesels allow more torque and HP down low and the same goes for a turbo charged gas engine. Yes a diesel is easier to drive for those who don't understand physics. HP of a non-turbo gas engine is up high in the RPM range. You have to pay attention to RPM more but it can be done. I think your truck is a little over taxed with that axle but as the others have said, if you stay out of the mountains and don't be afraid to down shift, you should be fine. You might invest in a scan gauge to monitor transmission temperatures if you don't already have a temp gauge for that. The lower geared rear end would help alot.

Perry
So , if I understand correctly what you said, those of us who choose a beefier diesel is because we are on the dumb side when it comes to physics. And as long as you are real smart about physics you can get by with a marginal set up. Got it ! I don' really understand how your reasoning helps the OP make a rational decision.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWN306 View Post
I have a 2016 with the 3.5 ECO Boost (truck is rated to tow 11,300) and tow a 2017 30' FC.

My first trip was a white knuckle experience. The truck and the trailer were all over the place on the highway at 60 mph. And the V-6 worked it's a$$ off in the VA mtns.

I put on a set of Firestone air bags and it helped but I still wasn't pleased.

I have since bought a ProPride 1400 # hitch. The white knuckle experience is gone and the truck is not working as hard to pull the rig. I tow between 60 - 65 mph.

There are a lot of opinions on this forum about needing a 3/4 ton truck, I had a 3/4 ton truck but the body was rusting away. I purchased the F-150 because my neighbor has one and pulls a brand "x" that weighs a ton and has three slides.

IMHO, the hitch makes all the difference in the world.
Now I heard it all when it comes to hitches.
A Pro-Pride will take the place of a 3/4 ton pick up. Awesome, you might want to impart that bit of wisdom to all the truck sales people in your town.

I have posted a great number of remarks about this subject relating my actual experience in towing a 30' with my 1/2 ton for three years and eventually throwing in the towel and upgrading to a 3/4 ton. And there are hundreds of others who made the same decision based on the same experience.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2026 View Post
Based on my experience pulling a 30' international for three years with a 2012 F-150 Platinum Ecoboost heavy duty tow package, 3.79 rear axle you would be fine going anywhere with a 27' AS. My truck with all the bells and whistles still had a respectable 1,560 lbs payload.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #23
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Based on my experience pulling a 30' international for three years with a 2012 F-150 Platinum Ecoboost heavy duty tow package, 3.79 rear axle you would be fine going anywhere with a 27' AS. My truck with all the bells and whistles still had a respectable 1,560 lbs payload.
Ecoboost with 3.73 gears is a night and day difference with the 5.0 and 3.55 that the OP has.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
ford f150 5.0l v8 with 3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
If you resist the urge to drive like a "bat out of hell" and you stay in relatively flat areas you will be fine. It's once you get into hill country that you will have to be extra careful. And it's not only "out west" the Appalachians out east have some pretty long grades. You will need to gear down and take it slow on the uphills. You might also have to turn off the air conditioner when going up a steep grade.

If your travels are only occasional and close to home you'll be OK with that engine. But if you plan to travel extensively including some cross country trips, you will probably want to get a new tow vehicle. The F-150 with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost is a very popular tow vehicle for larger Airstreams.
Stick with the one you have.. the 5L is the old 302 engine... good work horse... and you should not have any problems with it... I used to pull a 31 ft AS with a E350 ford van with the 302 in it and it did a good job... so long as your not in a hurry... the weakest part is the transmission... but so long as you don't push it with the 3.55 rear end.. it should work just fine...

If you wanted to improve the towing... you might want to think about a 3.73 or 4.10 rear gear set... but if your not towing every week... the 3.55 is good enough...

the 3.5 L echoboost is a piece of junk... and prone to expensive replacement parts... about the only thing going for it is the 6 speed trans that they had to put behind it... but, oh my listen to the little engine that thinks it could wind up in RPM... you'll be glad that you have your 5L v8... believe me...

just get the right hitch and don't over hitch the airstream... PUs are a lot rougher ride... andy at inland RV has lots of good advise on which hitch to get... as well... the airstream likes a softer ride... so to speak...

by the way... Ford is going back to the 5L 302 engine in their more expensive PU trucks... go figure

Good luck and welcome to RV'n
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
Stick with the one you have.. the 5L is the old 302 engine... good work horse... and you should not have any problems with it... I used to pull a 31 ft AS with a E350 ford van with the 302 in it and it did a good job... so long as your not in a hurry... the weakest part is the transmission... but so long as you don't push it with the 3.55 rear end.. it should work just fine...

If you wanted to improve the towing... you might want to think about a 3.73 or 4.10 rear gear set... but if your not towing every week... the 3.55 is good enough...

the 3.5 L echoboost is a piece of junk... and prone to expensive replacement parts... about the only thing going for it is the 6 speed trans that they had to put behind it... but, oh my listen to the little engine that thinks it could wind up in RPM... you'll be glad that you have your 5L v8... believe me...

just get the right hitch and don't over hitch the airstream... PUs are a lot rougher ride... andy at inland RV has lots of good advise on which hitch to get... as well... the airstream likes a softer ride... so to speak...

Good luck and welcome to RV'n
The 5.0 in a recent F150 is unequivocally NOT the "old 302." You don't seem to know much about the Coyote *or* the Ecoboost, old or new. The Coyote and the pre-2017 Ecoboost have the very same 6R80 transmission, and while the 3.5 Ecoboost is not a perfect engine (any more than any other) it's a *LONG* way from "a piece of junk" and does quite a good job towing close to sea level, and will walk away and leave a 5.0 (or GM's 5.3) gasping for air climbing a grade at any sort of altitude.

The 5.0 is a good engine. If I were buying a truck to tow staying below 3000 ft or to drive to the mall I might've bought one. If I'd already had one when I bought an Airstream I would've kept it until time to replace it, and just caned it mercilessly like I did my 5.4 when it was time to cross Raton or the Continental Divide.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
Never push the limits of your tow vehicle. You will never be satisfied with the results.
I am speaking from experience.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
Never push the limits of your tow vehicle. You will never be satisfied with the results.

I am speaking from experience.

You mean never push or never exceed? Limits are there for a reason.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Conroe , Arkansas
All the comments about gearing, turbocharged at high rpm all great information.
Problem is the truck is close to maxed out. You load water, camping / cooking gear, black tank and gray tanks full (in certain situations) along with the stored items in the truck bed you are well over the limit. Place this setup in a high altitude, steep grades then you can max out your brakes along with the suspension. My F-250 is daily truck for me and have felt twice the safety pulling our Airstream in the mountains. The setup I mentioned is not unusual out on the road on a extended trip especially leaving a camping area without facilities to dump your tanks. I haven't even mentioned weather as another factor. It sure is nice to have a larger truck when put in difficult situations on the road. When you're at the limits of your tow vehicle and you are aware of it, the overall trip is more stressful.

Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote