Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lafayette , Rocky Mnt. Region
Calculating CGVW

When calculating the CGVW, do you include the tongue weight in the value of the TV's GVW? My first guess would be "NO" because the tongue weight would be counted counted twice: once with the TV and once with the trailer.

Thanks in advance!

Rich
richschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I agree.

Look at it this way if the entire rig was on a scale that is the number you are looking for.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi rich and welcome to the forums....

i'm not sure what you mean by 'calculating gcvw'....

if that implies adding things up based on published or assumed weights...

then the tongue weight is NOT added twice...or even once.

gcw is tv+trailer+hitch+people+gear+fluids.....and so on

in other words as lipets has suggested, 'everything' that will be rolling.

the tongue IS part of the trailer so estimated or reported trailer weights already include the tongue, but sometimes do not include lpg, the spare tire or fluids...

now IF what you are trying to determine involves the tow vehicle and its gross weight, then yes the tongue and hitch are added once along with the base tv weight, options, cargo, people, fuel and anything else loaded in or on the tv...

if this doesn't answer your question, how about elaborating on your situation...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Lafayette , Rocky Mnt. Region
This is what I was looking for. My wife and I are looking at a 25' Safari SE FB and also at TVs. I created a spreadsheet to try and calculate GVW for both vehicles and CGVW. I was including the tongue weight in the TV's GVW and then adding that with the GVW of the trailer to compute the CGVW (and thus counting the tongue weight twice).

Thanks for the responses!
richschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have an '06 Safari FB SE and an '06 GMC 4x4 2500 crew cab short bed. CGVW with a full tank of gas was 12,440#. The listed CGVW for that truck is 16,000#
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Rich -- Welcome to the Forums!

A question about GCWR opens a large range of issues pertaining to adequate tow vehicle for the intended trailer. As a reference for others, a starting point on this topic might be Airstream's FAQ page (though there are many sources).

Factors to consider in loading:
Tow capacity
GCWR
GVWR of trailer
GVWR of tow vehicle (TV)

Payload of TV is not a stand-alone figure like the above 4 -- payload is GVWR minus the base or curb weight.

Submitted for your approval, approaching the max of either tow capacity or GCWR could put you over the line on TV GVWR.

Manufacturers place one driver into the TV to determine tow capacity -- and that is the base model as specified, without options or add ons (like additional passengers, truck caps, cargo onboard TV). Therefore tow capacity is the heaviest trailer under optimized and unusual conditions. [on edit: I'm not implying that this method is used for GCWR.]

A trailer will have tongue weight equal to 12-15% of its gross weight. This is only an approximation until you'd actually weigh it. Weight distribution gear does little to change this. Tongue weight is a load on the TV and must be added toward its GVWR. And of course figure in the approximate weight of passengers, TV accessories and cargo.

There are many layers to this onion. Like 2air' I'd suggest that you give us some examples of what TV-Airstream combinations you are considering. There are so many hypotheticals that this could descend into chaos...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote