Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
When I buy a new car, I am researching the best prices and contact local dealers asking if they can sell for $XYZ. All over internet to save time. The last car I bought locally, but do not service at the same dealership. All the local dealers are providing crappy service and it is difficult to build a good relationship in such environment.

The local TT dealers are not willing to work on a good deal, therefore, I am considering travelling to pick up a trailer.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
To clarify Indiana on out of state sales. I paid 8% tax in Phoenix for a trailer to be titled in Indiana. Indiana tax rate is 7% so no more sales tax money was paid to Indiana. If I had purchased at 6% sales tax, Indiana would have collected the 1% to make the total out of pocket 7%. They do not refund the higher taxes paid to other states.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:15 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Arlington , Texas
No problem.

Any dealer is glad to service your car. There is payment involved from the manufacturer. The dealer also will up sell oil changes, tires etc and hope you like their service and return for non warranty work. I have driven Cadillacs for years. My current car was serviced in Arlington, Lufkin, and San Antonio. Each was a little different but I received first class service.

Too bad you aren't in Texas. ( and it might be this way in other states). My sister was a state auditor and learned that any inventory on the lot or in the store, must have taxes paid on it. We always buy big items the last day of the year because the dealer does not want to pay taxes and would rather make a sale.
Claysews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Purchased new RAM truck out of state, and a used 2010 25' AS out of state. Buying the RAM out of state ended up being quite enjoyable. The long ride back in a new Truck was fun. Paid $12K lower than MSRP and about $6K lower than the local dealer. Service by local dealer has been good. On the AS - got around 100 pics before purchasing. also did an internet search on the dealership and all was good -- got a great deal.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

I have bought my wife's last three cars (3 leases and one bought off lease) from dealers within 100 mile radius of where I live. The local dealers sales department doesn't work with you because they are the only game in town. I do get the vehicles serviced at the local dealer which has not been an issue. I have talked to both the sales and service department about buying from them but, they still won't budge. The 100 miles drive is worth the thousands I have saved.

Good luck and buy what you want!! Safe travels!
Syr1pss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Anders79 Let me guess you took a trip to Idaho for that truck. Lots of people Ram their way in that direction.
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Tony - Good guess. Idaho it was. Ended up buying my AS in Kansas (and had it shipped to Washington).
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Anders79

Yes, I know people flock there. I can't remember the name. But it said they are the place to get a great deal. Could you say who they are, if not maybe a PM

Thanks

Tony
Old 12-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I was waiting until I got the 2015 NV3500 SL that I have in the works before I posted again. That way I could show a picture or two and tell you about my experience. But here is what has happened so far.

Well, I ended up putting the word out that if they could close the gap between the price of the cargo and a passenger van I would be willing to explore passenger van. Long and short, a fleet manager that I thought was square from the beginning (trust but verify) came up with three Silver window van options with prices and discounts. All had to come from another dealer, out of state. I picked basically one that was exactly what I wanted. If I put it in my woodworking business name I would get it for all in $3500 below invoice. That was something I could deal with. So I went for it.

What then happens his driver runs up to Washington from the Portland area and when he gets there the rig has close to 1000. Miles on it. So they call me and ask me if I still want it. I told him I would have to call him back. He had offered me a couple hundred more off. I asked him why it had that kind of mileage he said it probably partly was because of a previous dealer swap that isn’t uncommon this time of the year. Well with some hesitation I agreed to go ahead and we settled on $500 more off. I also want an oil change and made clear it needs to be perfect. I hope I wasn’t stupid. What do you think?

Anything I should be aware of or worried about? Anything I should do?

A little more information. One dealers in Portland area wouldn’t budge off MSRP stating they were not many NV3500 of them and enough demand ( ya well) Another offered, like it was a big deal, $1000 off MSRP. None of them seemed to have a clue about the fleet purchase discount. I don’t know if they were just lazy. The local guy went on vacation and said so and so would take care of me. I called so and so to go for a more extensive test drive and never got a call back. I went to the lot to look at it, no one came out to greet me.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

I did place this reply to another thread I started on the subject, I hope it doesn't break any rules or protocol.

Tony
Old 12-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
I buy new/used, i.e. typically three years off lease, and because my local market is $2k-$10k over-priced I buy all my vehicles online. I stick to certified vehicles from a dealership of that brand. I recently bought a Subaru and a Lexus from New York. No problem with local service. And it IS fun to fly out and drive them home!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
That is probably a shorter trip than my 5 hour drive. Fortunately it is Oregon and there are few drives I don't enjoy.

Tony
Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #32
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Is it worth it for you to look to Canada to purchase a new vehicle? Our dollar is .73 cents to yours right now.
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . .let's see, when in ATL, I bought an AS in Tucson, & now that I live in AZ, I just bought one in Alachua, FL. Our FC28 I found 7 miles from our house in North Scottsdale..........All are, or will be serviced by the local ex Airstream dealer because they have a great AS service guy. Fun, ain't it, regards, Craig