Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #15
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We save all that wheeling/dealing time by using Costco's car / truck buying service. No stress, no mess, simple and fast every time at an attractive price.

That said, at any dealer the sales department's job is to win the sale today to meet or beat quota. It is the service department's job to win the *next sale* and bring in profitable revenue (even warranty $$$ counts).

So, maybe it's sensible to just take the best deal you can get and "don't worry, be happy." Good hunting to you.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Buying out of town or out of state will not be an issue as far as warranty and repair.
I still prefer the Nissan dealer in the next town to our local Nissan dealer. The people are a little friendlier and their labor rates are lower. Go figure.
Be careful on sales tax, though, if you are purchasing from an out-of-state dealer. Make sure they either charge no sales tax. You will pay sales tax in your state. If they collect the sales tax, be sure they forward the funds to the appropriate state. Otherwise, you'll end up paying sales tax twice and will not see a savings.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I'm basically saying meet the price, sign some papers, and I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. I did this the last two days of the month. I am not a push over I don't think with straight invoice because it has to be ordered. PLEASE PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. The thing is there is not a bunch of these around but there may not be a lot of demand either, but it is growing. Not all Nissan dealerships can sell them or service them.

I wrote this in another post earlier:

Something I found out that could be a problem or at least an bit of an issue is that not all Nissan dealerships can or will service the NV1500,2500,3500. For me here in Southern Oregon I have one dealer in Medford and the next is up in the Portland area. Maybe one in Salem but I don't think so. That is at least a 4 hour drive away. Hmmm food for thought I guess.

Rocinante, we bought our Subaru through Costco's buying services and it went well.

Tony
Old 12-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
In one city where I lived the local dealer would give great deals to out-of-towners but stick it to the locals. Most ignored him and bought 30 miles away. The local still has to honor the warranty.
On the other hand, the one advantage I found to buying locally is priority service. The local dodge dealer would schedule an oil change two weeks out for those who were not local purchasers. I could have saved $800 on my Dakota by purchasing in Toronto but chose to buy at the local dealer so I had some leverage on him. First time I hooked up the AS getting ready to caravan to a rally, I had an engine code pop up. I called the dealer and said I would be there in 10 minutes to see what was happening. The dealership owner personally took the reader to my truck. cleared the code and said don't worry. On my way to the rally in under 45 minutes....try getting that service if you buy out-of-town!

JCW
Old 12-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The question of leverage vs purchase price is worth considering. We went with an internet deal, because our local dealers are reluctant to sell at significant discounts. It's not impossible, but more likely if you are a repeat customer or leasing. We were not a repeat customer, not leasing, and uninterested in a long negotiation marathon. We also believed that service is a profit center and likely would not be an issue. There are several dealers within a reasonably short distance, so we had options if we were wrong.

Given a local dealer who will work with you at least somewhat, building a relationship with that dealer has value. But be aware that the relationship may be with the service writer and the sales associate, not specifically with the dealership.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Exactly PKI have had such a relationship with the service writer, at the Chevy D for my Express van. I have a call in to him now. They are also a Nissan dealer but one that doesn't sell the NV's but if they can handle my Chevy van they can handle the NV3500, I suspect. It maybe a matter of will or what is allowed by Nissan.

Tony
Old 12-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
When I buy a new car, I am researching the best prices and contact local dealers asking if they can sell for $XYZ. All over internet to save time. The last car I bought locally, but do not service at the same dealership. All the local dealers are providing crappy service and it is difficult to build a good relationship in such environment.

The local TT dealers are not willing to work on a good deal, therefore, I am considering travelling to pick up a trailer.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
To clarify Indiana on out of state sales. I paid 8% tax in Phoenix for a trailer to be titled in Indiana. Indiana tax rate is 7% so no more sales tax money was paid to Indiana. If I had purchased at 6% sales tax, Indiana would have collected the 1% to make the total out of pocket 7%. They do not refund the higher taxes paid to other states.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Arlington , Texas
No problem.

Any dealer is glad to service your car. There is payment involved from the manufacturer. The dealer also will up sell oil changes, tires etc and hope you like their service and return for non warranty work. I have driven Cadillacs for years. My current car was serviced in Arlington, Lufkin, and San Antonio. Each was a little different but I received first class service.

Too bad you aren't in Texas. ( and it might be this way in other states). My sister was a state auditor and learned that any inventory on the lot or in the store, must have taxes paid on it. We always buy big items the last day of the year because the dealer does not want to pay taxes and would rather make a sale.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Purchased new RAM truck out of state, and a used 2010 25' AS out of state. Buying the RAM out of state ended up being quite enjoyable. The long ride back in a new Truck was fun. Paid $12K lower than MSRP and about $6K lower than the local dealer. Service by local dealer has been good. On the AS - got around 100 pics before purchasing. also did an internet search on the dealership and all was good -- got a great deal.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

I have bought my wife's last three cars (3 leases and one bought off lease) from dealers within 100 mile radius of where I live. The local dealers sales department doesn't work with you because they are the only game in town. I do get the vehicles serviced at the local dealer which has not been an issue. I have talked to both the sales and service department about buying from them but, they still won't budge. The 100 miles drive is worth the thousands I have saved.

Good luck and buy what you want!! Safe travels!
Old 12-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Anders79 Let me guess you took a trip to Idaho for that truck. Lots of people Ram their way in that direction.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Tony - Good guess. Idaho it was. Ended up buying my AS in Kansas (and had it shipped to Washington).
Old 12-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Anders79

Yes, I know people flock there. I can't remember the name. But it said they are the place to get a great deal. Could you say who they are, if not maybe a PM

Thanks

Tony