Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Considered a bumper bike mount on my Bambi 20FB but after all the advice against went with an over-the-truck-bed mount using RetraxPro XR. A bit pricey but met all the requirements. Limits what I can put in the truck bed, but gives some good protection and helps me not decide to overload. So far I like it. The cover, crossbar and associated parts, and bike racks total something under $3k.

Supposed to be a picture here.
WizardOfAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #62
lookingin

Currently Looking...
Golden , Colorado
Too far out

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I made a similar hitch. It hung below the tray but attached to the side rails like yours.

I did not like the way it performed (too much bounce), And, because of the increased chance of sway, I took it off. It's still laying around somewhere. I need to repurpose it for some other use.
Attachment 338621
The hitch looked extended to far out. You could build it in such a way to tuck in inside under the RV furthest possible, when you mount the bikes loosen/turn the handle bars of the closest bike to the RV sideways, then when you put the rack on, insert the rack shaft as far inward as possible being careful not to hit the body. This will bring the center of gravity as close as possible to the AS. Use the lightest most stable rack system, such as 1up, then try with very light bikes, say no more than 25lbs each.
lookingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim c View Post
. . .
. . . I welded a receiver hitch under the bumper so I could tow a couple of jet skis behind the AS. We put somewhere around 1200 miles on that trip. The setup really worked well. The only minor problem I had was if you were doing over 80 on the interstate around some of the curves in the mountains the jet skis would want to sway a bit more than I felt comfortable with.
. . .

Were you vying for a Darwin Award?

Lucky to avoid a major sway incident, not to mention that your B-train towing rig is probably illegal IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Lucky to avoid a major sway incident, not to mention that your B-train towing rig is probably illegal IMO.

Darwin Award; good one! I was thinking same thing...hope there's more than one; I see some others here that are at least runner ups with some of the stuff they post!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The Darwin Awards system does not have runner-ups. If a person lives, there is no award!

https://darwinawards.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=Darw...com&gws_rd=ssl

Keep breathing . . . life is short!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaulborg View Post
Any reason not to go with an over the bed type bike rack?
No.
But for those of us who use a hard tonneau, it's not practical. The Retrax is great, but it doesn't leave enough room under it to store certain generators. And you still have to lift the bikes up on the top.
I think the best option for pickups is a cap, look like grandpa but carry all the toys inside.
Best choice is a van, but it's hard to justify a van so you can carry a bike/scooter.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
clarkson , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Sure is funny how some people are, and then those that dogpile on. I see pickups pulling campers with boats behind them all the time. Against the law??? Check the law, Nebraka, Colorado and Wyoming are almost the same, only a 5 foot difference in total length. (Too bad states cannot be more uniform on their laws for length whether hauling oversize loads on your semi or your total length of load...) I have been involved with pulling trailers my whole life. Pay attention to detail including the law and what works good for other people and learn what works and doesn't. Love you guys!!
tim c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Sure is funny how some people are, and then those that dogpile on. I see pickups pulling campers with boats behind them all the time. Against the law??? Check the law, Nebraka, Colorado and Wyoming are almost the same, only a 5 foot difference in total length. (Too bad states cannot be more uniform on their laws for length whether hauling oversize loads on your semi or your total length of load...) I have been involved with pulling trailers my whole life. Pay attention to detail including the law and what works good for other people and learn what works and doesn't. Love you guys!!
I see it in MT also...ever see one of these trains get into a pickle at the gas pumps and have to back up?? Tied us up for half hour while he unloaded both trailers and had to maneuver to pull the last trailer out and maneuver to reconnect...all the while the wife was yelling at him.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
clarkson , Nebraska
Maybe when he hooked his trailers back up he should have unloaded extra baggage...
Old 05-12-2019, 12:01 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, just curious; Is towing over 80 MPH legal? Many states only allow double towing with fifth wheels.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #71
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
clarkson , Nebraska
80 mile an hour speed limit in certain states on the interstate. I was only trying to see how my trailers handled at certain speeds, higher and lower. It took over an 80mph speed in a simulated passing situation for my second trailer to sway just enough to notice it as the rear trailer came back into line with the whole setup. I do not like to be surprised. This has proven to be a really nice setup for us. I do not recommend it to anyone unless you do your own homework, and then you also have to feel confident in your own abilities. As for filling up with fuel, you really have to plan ahead and don't get yourself into situations that are difficult to get out of. People like to add their two cents on the forums, and that is a good thing. We can all learn quite a bit here.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
80 mph is the highest speed limit for trailers in the US. I have tested my rig at that limit, towing on the ball. There was no perceptible sway. Never once did my ESC activate.

Airstream claims their trailers can be towed safely at any legal speed and I find that to be true. Mechanically, the weakest link in the system is the tire speed rating, 87MPH if you are using Goodyear Endurance tires.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Bumper bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
No.

But for those of us who use a hard tonneau, it's not practical. The Retrax is great, but it doesn't leave enough room under it to store certain generators. And you still have to lift the bikes up on the top.

I think the best option for pickups is a cap, look like grandpa but carry all the toys inside.

Best choice is a van, but it's hard to justify a van so you can carry a bike/scooter.

Really? I guess ‘practical’ is a matter of opinion, like all else in this forum. Undercover Ridgelander hard tonneau, Rhino Rack bars, 1Up Fat tire rack, Rad Rover e-bike. Very satisfactory and practical for me. Yes, I remove the bike to lift the tonneau. Yes, I fit a Yamaha 2400is and other gear beneath the tonneau. To each his own.

[ATTACH]340752
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1200.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	340752  
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote