Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Brand new VW Touareg and a 23D

Just bought a new Touareg Diesel and a 23D Arstream. The Touareg came with a factory installed hitch. Know nothing about towing. What else do I need to safely tow this without sway? All and any help would be appreciated.
LiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Get ready for more advice than you ever thought possible...and welcome to the Forums.

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome, as posted prepare for opinion overload. You might need a weight distribution hitch. Plenty of good ones out there. Also a break controller if not already installed on your VW.
(Let the commercials begin)

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Find a local Commercial Drivers License center and sign up for a safe RV driver course. My wife and I did that the first weekend we had the trailer (we had never towed either). Great investment - especially with what you just invested in a new trailer and tow vehicle.

As for the rest - I'm out! 😃
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Round Rock , Texas
Congrats! I'm not going to get into the specifics, cause I am sure someone else will handle that. If it were me, I'd get a good weight distribution setup, sway bars if you don't go with a system that includes them, a brake controller, and find some place that offers RV classes in your area. If there aren't any, find a big open parking lot and go practice driving and parking it. End of the day, drive carefully and don't panic when you get in trouble.

Thats my basic way of looking at it. Now...you will get hundreds of opinions.
txtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Find a local Commercial Drivers License center and sign up for a safe RV driver course. My wife and I did that the first weekend we had the trailer (we had never towed either). Great investment - especially with what you just invested in a new trailer and tow vehicle.

As for the rest - I'm out! 😃
I tried to sign up for local course a couple of months ago. It was cancelled due to lack of interest. Office told me this was their third class in a row cancelled. They did not think it would be offered again. To bad, it seemed like a good opportunity to learn a few tricks from professional drivers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
That's weird. Literally we were the only couple there that weekend! Maybe there's an RV- specific school nearby?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome, Lia. Good advice here. There are several threads on hitches, and reading them all will make your head spin. Just take it slowly, ask lots of questions here, and remember that everyone who responds to your question really is trying to help, even if it sounds like they are arguing with someone else. If there is an Airstream owner near you (check the members list above) you can probably get some pretty good advice.

Once you get your tow vehicle set up and coach home, take it out to an empty parking lot and practice driving it some. If necessary, take an experienced person to drive the rig out and give you some lessons. Then you drive the coach home. Remember that slow and easy is the best way. Also remember the trucker's rule: G.O.A.L. which stands for Get Out And Look. If you are not sure about what might be hidden from you, put on the flashers, get out and LOOK. Obviously that won't work at night on the Interstate, but when trying to get into a campsite it is a good rule to follow.

Then, go out camping.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Airstream dealer didn't set you up with a brake controller and weight distributing/sway control hitch?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Thank You all for your responses. I'm looking for driving lessons in Florida or Jersey. The dealer, of course, wants to sell me what they want to sell. Sway control and brake controller for $1500.00. I thought i would do my own research.

I wish I could drive to Can-Am but I can't. Does anyone know how they would outfit my rig or has anyone had it done with similar TT and TV?
LiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
Just bought a new Touareg Diesel and a 23D Arstream. The Touareg came with a factory installed hitch. Know nothing about towing. What else do I need to safely tow this without sway? All and any help would be appreciated.
I think you'll get more on point answers & info from fellow T-reg, Cayenne & Audi Q7 owners if you go to this link, read up & ask your question there. They'll also like pix of your rig!

Ooops, forgot the link...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...rs-134917.html

We're on the hunt for a 06-10 Cayenne S ourselves now, & have towed with rented Nissan Pathfinders (similar size etc.), so FYI - we're using a Hensley Cub WD/anti-sway hitch & a Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller (mounts on trailer with hand controller unit in TV cab & plugs into 12v port/lighter, for use with multiple TVs since we originally planned just to rent trucks/suvs), & we have their McKesh removable door mounted side/rearview mirrors too (pic in one of my posts at the link above, as well as some of the CanAm hitch info you mentioned, & you can message Andy T at CanAm from his post there too).

If your 23D is less than 6000 lbs Gross trailer wt., then you can use their Cub at $1300-1700 cost - much less than their larger capacity Hensley Arrow or ProPride, but others will have other favorite hitches too.

IMHO the towing class is a good idea, & I think Good Sam may also offer them too.

Have fun!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
I pull a 2014 25FB Flying Cloud with a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel and it is a great combination and I am getting about 16 MPG with a good 1000 # load in the Airstream.
I use a Equal-i-zer hitch with integrated sway control and a Tekonsha Brake Controller and I would highly recommend them.
When you purchase the Hitch make sure to have it adjusted for proper tongue weight and height at a reputable dealer. Being new at this, you don't want to do this yourself.
Your brake controller will also need to be adjusted to the settings that work for your combination. A little experimentation with the 2 settings will payoff before you hit the road.
Good luck!
phawk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
San Jose , California
Although there are many who run Touregs with weight distributing (WD) hitches, Volkswagen states they are not to be used with the Toureg. I discovered this when researching a new tow vehicle and it was confirmed during a visit to the dealer. Chances are running a WD hitch with a Toureg won't be a safety issue but could cause problems in the event of a warranty or insurance claim
ajnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
Our 2012 TDi Touraeg shows limits (they are the same) with and without a WD hitch.

Volkswagen, go figure.

John
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
golden , Colorado
I have been pulling a 25' CCD with our 2011 Touareg Hybrid, without a weight distribution hitch (per ajnz above), and it's a smooth non-swaying ride. Might be because of the geometry of the short VW wheelbase and rear overhang plus AS double axles, but we hardly feel the trailer!
I have had problems with the brake controller however. My hitch expert could not find the brake controller coupling inside the dashboard (?!) so we installed the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller, and have had difficulty pairing. I was told that Touareg, Cayenne and Mercedes need an additional hardware/software part. Tekonsha apparently came out with a fix and are sending it to me - we'll see....
uncle boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I can save you a lot of time looking for answers. I have a 2015 Q7 TDI that I tow a 25FB with. The Q7, Touareg, and Cayenne are all built on the same platform and have the same engine and factory tow hitch. The listed limits on mine are 662 Weight carrying and 662 Weight Distributing. The listed tongue weight with 2 30lb propane bottles and the spare tire is 720Lbs on your 23D. Remove one of the propane bottles and replace with a piece of 4" ABS pipe. I have been using one tank all summer and it is still half full. That will drop the tongue weight by 52 lbs. Remove the spare tire and put it in the back of the Touareg. That drops another 48 lbs. You are now down to 620lb tongue weight. Figure on adding 500lbs of gear and 10 gallons of water for travel and you will be below the 662lb limit. Buy a Tekonsha Primus brake controller and take it and your VW to the dealer. The factory wiring plug is located under the steering column wrapped in a foam like tape. I can send them the Technical Service Bulletin if they can't find it. You don't want anyone hacking into the wires that doesn't know anything about your car. Take it to the dealer. Go to Etrailer.com and buy an adapter for the LED trailer lights, about $25. For some reason the European cars don't recognize LED trailer lights, not enough resistance. I purchased a Blue Ox 1000 WD and had the Airstream dealer install and adjust it. They charged me $125. It all works perfectly! 18MPG on my last trip.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
Bravo. This choice of TV and TT are spot on from my perspective. I drove a Touareg while living in Europe and loved it. We have a 23' Airstream ourselves but tow with a Ford 250 6.7L TD which is not ideal for my around town driving. Hence we have three cars: mine, my wife and the truck!! Do communicate the experience towing with the diesel Touareg.

Others have well advised your need to practice driving with the trailer (backing up/parking) and in safe areas. I used a similar size garden trailer for practice. Go Slow and stop often to check your progress. Do not panic just stop and adjust. The advantage of a very light weight trailer is you can always stop, disconnect, start again after reconnecting and correcting your backing -up results. Then again you can do the same with the Airstream just practice in a vacant parking lot (a lot!!) Cheers and best wishes.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Pikchures ???

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Near Arroyo Grande, Calif, an almost new Tahoe and almost new airstream rolled over and flattened the two air conditioners were flattened and one side looked caved in 2-3 inches, I will bet that hurt...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
golden , Colorado
Sounds like an nice setup. We pull our 25'CCD with a 2011 VW Touareg Hybrid without a weight dist. hitch (see note from AJNZ above). It really feels weightless with no sway, possibly due to the short distance between car and trailer axles.
We have had problems with the Prodigy RF brake controller however. Apparently Touareg, Cayenne and Mercedes have problems pairing, but Prodigy says they have a fix - and it is being sent to me no charge...we'll see...Enjoy!!
uncle boo is offline   Reply With Quote