Old 08-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Golden , Colorado
I have been pulling a 25' CCD with our 2011 Touareg Hybrid, without a weight distribution hitch (per ajnz above), and it's a smooth non-swaying ride. Might be because of the geometry of the short VW wheelbase and rear overhang plus AS double axles, but we hardly feel the trailer!
I have had problems with the brake controller however. My hitch expert could not find the brake controller coupling inside the dashboard (?!) so we installed the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller, and have had difficulty pairing. I was told that Touareg, Cayenne and Mercedes need an additional hardware/software part. Tekonsha apparently came out with a fix and are sending it to me - we'll see....

Old 08-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I can save you a lot of time looking for answers. I have a 2015 Q7 TDI that I tow a 25FB with. The Q7, Touareg, and Cayenne are all built on the same platform and have the same engine and factory tow hitch. The listed limits on mine are 662 Weight carrying and 662 Weight Distributing. The listed tongue weight with 2 30lb propane bottles and the spare tire is 720Lbs on your 23D. Remove one of the propane bottles and replace with a piece of 4" ABS pipe. I have been using one tank all summer and it is still half full. That will drop the tongue weight by 52 lbs. Remove the spare tire and put it in the back of the Touareg. That drops another 48 lbs. You are now down to 620lb tongue weight. Figure on adding 500lbs of gear and 10 gallons of water for travel and you will be below the 662lb limit. Buy a Tekonsha Primus brake controller and take it and your VW to the dealer. The factory wiring plug is located under the steering column wrapped in a foam like tape. I can send them the Technical Service Bulletin if they can't find it. You don't want anyone hacking into the wires that doesn't know anything about your car. Take it to the dealer. Go to Etrailer.com and buy an adapter for the LED trailer lights, about $25. For some reason the European cars don't recognize LED trailer lights, not enough resistance. I purchased a Blue Ox 1000 WD and had the Airstream dealer install and adjust it. They charged me $125. It all works perfectly! 18MPG on my last trip.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
Just bought a new Touareg Diesel and a 23D Arstream. The Touareg came with a factory installed hitch. Know nothing about towing. What else do I need to safely tow this without sway? All and any help would be appreciated.
Bravo. This choice of TV and TT are spot on from my perspective. I drove a Touareg while living in Europe and loved it. We have a 23' Airstream ourselves but tow with a Ford 250 6.7L TD which is not ideal for my around town driving. Hence we have three cars: mine, my wife and the truck!! Do communicate the experience towing with the diesel Touareg.

Others have well advised your need to practice driving with the trailer (backing up/parking) and in safe areas. I used a similar size garden trailer for practice. Go Slow and stop often to check your progress. Do not panic just stop and adjust. The advantage of a very light weight trailer is you can always stop, disconnect, start again after reconnecting and correcting your backing -up results. Then again you can do the same with the Airstream just practice in a vacant parking lot (a lot!!) Cheers and best wishes.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Pikchures ???

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Near Arroyo Grande, Calif, an almost new Tahoe and almost new airstream rolled over and flattened the two air conditioners were flattened and one side looked caved in 2-3 inches, I will bet that hurt...
Old 08-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Golden , Colorado
Sounds like an nice setup. We pull our 25'CCD with a 2011 VW Touareg Hybrid without a weight dist. hitch (see note from AJNZ above). It really feels weightless with no sway, possibly due to the short distance between car and trailer axles.
We have had problems with the Prodigy RF brake controller however. Apparently Touareg, Cayenne and Mercedes have problems pairing, but Prodigy says they have a fix - and it is being sent to me no charge...we'll see...Enjoy!!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Boo, double post, on purpose?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Thank You all for great advice. I'm driving to New Jersey in 3 weeks to pick up my trailer. They are offering me an Equalizer with 1000 lbs sway bars for $900 and a Prodigy wireless brake controller for $600.

I will definitely post pictures when I get there. Excited and nervous.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Did you post this by mistake? I do not see any connection with this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Near Arroyo Grande, Calif, an almost new Tahoe and almost new airstream rolled over and flattened the two air conditioners were flattened and one side looked caved in 2-3 inches, I will bet that hurt...
Old 08-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #24
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
"ajnz
Although there are many who run Touregs with weight distributing (WD) hitches, Volkswagen states they are not to be used with the Toureg. I discovered this when researching a new tow vehicle and it was confirmed during a visit to the dealer. Chances are running a WD hitch with a Toureg won't be a safety issue but could cause problems in the event of a warranty or insurance claim"

"Harv
Our 2012 TDi Touraeg shows limits (they are the same) with and without a WD hitch.

Volkswagen, go figure.

John"

I think that the Taureg/Cayenne/Q7 confusion is due to the fact that in Europe WD hitches are illegal since the 1960's or 70's - so they build their trailers smaller & lighter (including Euro AS), so they say no WD on their Euro &/or RoW (Rest of World) documentation.

However, it is legal in the USA & Canada (& elsewhere), so VW, Porsche & Audi sometimes corrects their verbiage in the owners' manuals & sometimes not, & that seems to vary from model year to year too. Then some dealers & their employees are likewise confused & pass along incorrect info. (who in my experience are generally too lazy to check on details, don't know how/where, &/or get the wrong info & pass it along as correct).

If the same platform in 3 different skins - with some difference in engines, transmissions, brakes & suspension, etc. between the makes & their sub-models - and essentially the same hitch on all 3 makes regardless of the other details can be used with WD in some years/makes/models - then it certainly can be on others, & shouldn't be a problem insurance nor warranty wise.

As some above have noted & others on the various other topic posts on the Euro-3 have noted, they can & do tow with WD & is usually accepted as approved - except for a dealer trying to CYA or wiggle out of something. I've read somewhere in AirForums or on the RennList Cayenne forum that somebody checked with the North American branch of VW &/or Porsche, who said that it is fine to use WD hitches.

So those 3 makers need to get their acts together & their docs straightened out to stop all of this confusion, because the misinformation could cause someone who should be using WD/Anti-sway to not & then have a serious accident, & then make a serious legal claim against them for all the misinformation!

However, I would NOT & never again try towing our single axle Avion with a short wheelbase mid-sized SUV without a WD/Anti-sway hitch for another white knuckle ride! Did it once with the rented Pathfinder & that was plenty for us - it's just way to squirrely over 50-55 & in cross winds without something! Nary a problem since the Hensley Cub was installed (the bigger rented F150 pick-ups had their own built-in anti-sway tow package to solve that problem in our pre-Cub days).

That said, it's worthwhile to read up &/or contact the folks at CanAm for possible hitch reinforcement if you're towing at the upper limits of the hitch rating.

I checked with Andy T & he said that our `60 Avion T20 at about 3000-3500 lbs wet & loaded wouldn't need the reinforcement, but each trailer is different (that info is at the Treg/Cay/Q7 link I provided in my prior post above).

I'll have to check on the Tekonsha Prodigy RF pairing issue on the T/C/Q trio as noted above whenever we finally get our own Cayenne S (soon we hope), but I never had any problems pairing it with the other rented TVs, & it actually did not requiring pairing when we rented the same type vehicle the next time, the RF remembering all the settings & paring issues as if it were the same truck or Pathfinder.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
My Touareg is rated to tow 7700 lbs. My 23D weighs 4760 dry. I don't think that I will ever have it over 6000 lbs. I will certainly get weight when I am all packed for travel next spring.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Did you post this by mistake? I do not see any connection with this thread.

He is just trying to scare the new girl on the block.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I can save you a lot of time looking for answers. I have a 2015 Q7 TDI that I tow a 25FB with. The Q7, Touareg, and Cayenne are all built on the same platform and have the same engine and factory tow hitch. The listed limits on mine are 662 Weight carrying and 662 Weight Distributing. The listed tongue weight with 2 30lb propane bottles and the spare tire is 720Lbs on your 23D. Remove one of the propane bottles and replace with a piece of 4" ABS pipe. I have been using one tank all summer and it is still half full. That will drop the tongue weight by 52 lbs. Remove the spare tire and put it in the back of the Touareg. That drops another 48 lbs. You are now down to 620lb tongue weight. Figure on adding 500lbs of gear and 10 gallons of water for travel and you will be below the 662lb limit. Buy a Tekonsha Primus brake controller and take it and your VW to the dealer. The factory wiring plug is located under the steering column wrapped in a foam like tape. I can send them the Technical Service Bulletin if they can't find it. You don't want anyone hacking into the wires that doesn't know anything about your car. Take it to the dealer. Go to Etrailer.com and buy an adapter for the LED trailer lights, about $25. For some reason the European cars don't recognize LED trailer lights, not enough resistance. I purchased a Blue Ox 1000 WD and had the Airstream dealer install and adjust it. They charged me $125. It all works perfectly! 18MPG on my last trip.

What folks won't go thru for a little mpg....no thanks. Not our priority.

Bob
Old 08-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #28
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
And the big truck folks start in ... as always!

Lia, I forgot to mention in my reply to your PM to look at etrailer.com & other suppliers for a better price on the Tekonsha controller & hitch - those seem a bit high - esp. to controller.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote