Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Alpharetta , Georgia
Brake Controllers - can they be added easily?

Good day!

We are purchasing a 2015 Tundra 4 wheel drive v8 for our 1981 31 excella II. The Tundra doesn't have a brake controller. So, before we make things official, can anyone confirm if we can add a brake controller, and any tips on going about that process?

Thanks!
britta315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If the Toyota Tundra is anything like my Tacoma, there is a trailer brake controller adapter cable in the glove box or stashed under the back seats that plugs into the wiring harness behind the kick panel on the left of the driver side foot well. This cable has bare wire ends to be wired to the controller.

My solution was a Prodigy P3 controller and their appropriate OEM adapter cable. It plugs right into the Toyota harness, plus a ground wire to improve performance that goes under a convenient bolt in the area. I mounted the 'holster' for the prodigy with a couple screws on the lower left side of the dash where I can easily reach it for adjustments and the emergency lever.

I tow a 23' International with my Tacoma, and the Prodigy P3 performs really well--even in an eight tire-smoking emergency stop in beautiful downtown Phoenix, Arizona**--the home of the most screwball drivers ever, IMHO...

**Now you know why I will never travel through Phoenix ever again...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
X2 ^^ Prodigy P3 ^^
OEM adapter plugs in under dash somewhere under steering wheel. Check owner's manual for exact location.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Yes. Very easy to install with the help of Google or youtube. Many custom car/truck supply shops will offer installation as well as selling you the brake controller.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I bought a prodigy p3 package with an included adapter for my Tacoma. Plugged right in, only necessary wiring was to connect the ground wire to a good ground. You should definitely be able to locate one for your Tundra.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Toyota, bless their pointy heads, managed to make the harness plug darn difficult to find, but following the online video (possibly from eTrailer), I removed the drivers side kick panel to make it easier.

I then was able to twist the chassis harness around, find the tape they covered the plug with, and peel it off to get open access to the plug, from there it was plug and play, after putting the kick panel back in place.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The brake controller is literally plug and play.
Somewhere in your Tundra's glove box should be a wiring harness adapter.
It plugs in under the kick panel by the driver's left foot.
Easy.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
ESP Truck makes an in-dash mount for the P3. While pricey, it puts it in a normally unused space. The standard mounting place is under the dash which may be hard to reach or too close to knee. This solution looks more integrated.

https://www.esptruck.com/product-pag...r-mounting-kit

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #9

Columbus , Ohio
Tundra Brake Controller - Ditto

I just did this for our new to us 2013 Tundra 4x4 v8 5.7L for towing our 2006 28' Safari. There was a non progressive controller already installed that was not behaving well with the trailer (to be fair I had not tuned it). Replaced with Tekonsha 90195 P3 and Tekonsha Toyota harness. The plug was above and to the left of the manual foot brake. Followed the instructions to calibrate and now the rig brakes like there's nothing behind the TV.

Calibration is fairly simple. Set power to 6.0 (middle). With TV and TT all hitched up (Equalizer anti sway and weight distributing), driving at 25 MPH on a flat, fully engage the manual brake lever on the the controller, do not apply brakes on TV. If the TT tires do not lock up, increase power and try again. Repeat until TT tires lock up. Once there back off power to just before lockup. I think we ended up at 9 or 9.5 for our combo.

This controller also has boost 1, 2 and 3. Boost 1 bumps the power value by 13% etc. I expect we will use boost on steep down grades.
mlb3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
And as I was sending this post, I received an email from espTruck indicating that there is a Labor Day sale with 10% off between Sept 1 and 5. No promo code was given, so it might be automatic between those days.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
ESP Truck makes an in-dash mount for the P3. While pricey, it puts it in a normally unused space. The standard mounting place is under the dash which may be hard to reach or too close to knee. This solution looks more integrated.

https://www.esptruck.com/product-pag...r-mounting-kit

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by britta315 View Post
Good day!

We are purchasing a 2015 Tundra 4 wheel drive v8 for our 1981 31 excella II. The Tundra doesn't have a brake controller. So, before we make things official, can anyone confirm if we can add a brake controller, and any tips on going about that process?

Thanks!
I have a 2015 Tundra, and Yes, a brake controller is an easy addition. I'll assume you have the tow package. On the right side of the steering column is a panel with "tow/haul" switch and another. That panel just pops out, it's held by clips. (I bought a plastic panel removal tool from Amazon for $6, but a screwdriver will work) Inside you'll find a white plastic plug. That's where the Tundra is prewired for a brake controller. In my case I bought the Tekonsha P-3. Then you need a cable to go from the Brake controller to that white plug. In my case, I bought a Tekonsha 3017 (although they say several fit the 2015 Tundra?) One end goes into the white plug, and the other end goes into the controller. Button it up, mount the controller, and you have electric brakes!
There's a YouTube video just for the 2015 Tundra.
I actually considered mounting the controller with industrial Velcro rather than screw in the bracket.
BTW, I bought both parts from Amazon, and they were less expensive separately than together.

You could pay someone to mount it, but it's super simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
ESP Truck makes an in-dash mount for the P3. While pricey, it puts it in a normally unused space.
Yes, I looked at that too. They start with a Toyota panel which means it matches perfectly. However, reviewers said the brake controller sticks out too far, you have to have the lever outside, and the "fit" of the opening wasn't perfect. That's why I went with industrial Velcro, so I could change my mind later.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
I tow a as 22FB with my Audi Q5, and the Prodigy P3 performs really well. I had I get a digital adapter as the audi does not have analog controls all is good now
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
UPDATE:
I mounted the Teksonaha P-3 using the 3017P cable on my 2015 Tundra 5.7.
It should have taken 15 minutes, but instead took an hour. The 3017 cable was a perfect fit.

I wanted to take the panel off so I could mount the P-3. That meant I'd have to unplug the two switches on the panel. I watched the video and it seemed like a no brainer, but they wouldn't let go. Finally, it put a small screwdriver in the catch, and they fell off.
I didn't even feel like I pushed a release. I brought the cable out in the gap between the dash panel and the steering wheel.
The P-3 powered up as soon as I plugged it in, the key doesn't need to be on. The manual says it shuts off the display after 15 minutes. I guess it retains power so it can keep the settings.
There's not much you can do without a trailer connected, so I backed up to another trailer I have with brakes. The P-3 saw it immediately, I set all the parameters, and buttoned everything up.

I don't know if I'd like the dash panel with the controller built in. (besides the $75) It seems like it would be pointing too far down to see easily. I like the display looking up.

I spent $6 on the panel removal tools on Amazon. Needed? Eh, you can pull it off with your fingers starting by the steering wheel. Or you can use a butter knife. Yeah, I didn't scratch anything, so I'd do it again.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Thanks for the update. It will help when I get mine.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Alpharetta , Georgia
Thanks for all the great feedback! We ended up going with a Tekonsha Primus IQ controller. We didn't know to order a wiring adapter when we got the controller, but were able to find one at the Toyota dealership for $15.

We went for a quick test drive yesterday and the controller worked great. The test drive should have been more than a test drive, it should have been the start of a trip in fact, but we discovered a very hot wheel hub. We decided to call the trip off to service the bearings. I haven't done that yet. So, I'm sure I will be posting regarding that soon.

This community is great, thank you so much for the responses!
britta315 is offline   Reply With Quote