Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'm no expert but I'd imagine that anything you do to improve the off-road performance will compromise on-road performance. Raise the ground clearance and you'll adversely affect the stability and handling of the trailer. Still, I guess it's a tradeoff...

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Montero not a good Tow Vehicle

We owned two full size Montero's. First.. a Montero is a good passenger vehicle. It is comfortable and the fit and finish is excellent.

However it is not a good tow vehicle. We used one of our Montero's for a tow vehicle for only 1 - 1/2 seasons for towing a 3500 lb (5000GWR SOB). We had the factory installed towing package with the transmission and oil cooler.

The transmission would get VERY hot and the front seat mounting brackets would get almost so hot you could not touch them. We also had a recurring problem with the fuse blowing out for the trailer running lights. The dealer could never fix the problem and we had to carry extra fuses.

The engine while fine for passenger travel struggled quite a bit when towing. We live on the East Coast so we never had any real mountains that we had to worry about.

We ended trading the Montero for a Nissan Pathfinder which was a far superior tow vehicle.

For your original question a Tekonsha 90885 Prodigy P2is a great choice. We have had a several weight distributing hitches and like the Reese Dual Cam hitch the best. We did have an equalizer hitch, but the hitch caused a stress fracture on the receiver.

Good luck!

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
The transmission would get VERY hot and the front seat mounting brackets would get almost so hot you could not touch them. We also had a recurring problem with the fuse blowing out for the trailer running lights. The dealer could never fix the problem and we had to carry extra fuses.
Good luck![/SIZE]
Thanks tkowalyk for your response. I have noticed the same problem while 4WD with my llama trailer. The floor boards on the passenger side would heat up pretty bad. However, I soon figured out that if I kept the RPMs above 1800 to 2000 then things cooled down very quickly. When I am climbing hills I will probable turn overdrive off and down shift below 1800 RPMs.

I am also having the transmission cooler checked out before I pick up the AS. Perhaps I should make sure I have some extra fuses as well. I would like to hold out as long as possible before I replace the Montero until they come out with more fuel efficient cars to meet the new 55 mpg regulation. I believe that Toyota has a hybrid SUV now, and it is in the process of converting its entire lineup to hybrids as this technology matures. We just bought a new Prius and love it.
SWillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
SWillard, I have towed many miles...on the road. I have also 4 wheeled many miles off road...in my youth and WITHOUT a trailer. So I will give, if you want my opinions and open them for discussion about what I think you mean...severe off roading, with a single axle AS, BUT getting from point A to point B on the highway with the rest of the folk.

Is that what you want?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I'm no expert but I'd imagine that anything you do to improve the off-road performance will compromise on-road performance. Raise the ground clearance and you'll adversely affect the stability and handling of the trailer. Still, I guess it's a tradeoff...
I suspect that you are probably correct about the trade offs. Nothing is for free. I think that I will first see what I can get with a larger wheel before I do something more drastic. I will be emailing the AS guys to see what they think about increasing clearance. They may already have a proven solution to my problem. I will post their response as soon as I get it.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Don't count on it.....that's like asking a truck maker how to properly lift a 4wd truck 6". They are going to say Don't do it, and by the way, you are jeopardizing your warranty.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
SWillard, I have towed many miles...on the road. I have also 4 wheeled many miles off road...in my youth and WITHOUT a trailer. So I will give, if you want my opinions and open them for discussion about what I think you mean...severe off roading, with a single axle AS, BUT getting from point A to point B on the highway with the rest of the folk.

Is that what you want?
Absolutely! However, keep in mined that I do not intend to do any 4WD driving with the AS, just driving on rough roads and perhaps through fields. It is also my perceptions that a single axle is much more stable than a double axle trailer. I pulled the largest uHaul trailer I could rent with a double axle once loaded with books. As soon as I reached 70 MPH it started to sway back and forth like crazy. I have never had that problem with my single axle llama trailer.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Don't count on it.....that's like asking a truck maker how to properly lift a 4wd truck 6". They are going to say Don't do it, and by the way, you are jeopardizing your warranty.
Oh yes, the warranty. I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder. Let see what they have to say.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, the general consensus is the opposite....you may have had a weight distribution issue with the tandem u-haul. HOWEVER, for off road use I think I may prefer a single axle over a tandem.

OK, you answered a big preliminary question. You don't see anything more severe than somewhat poorly maintained fire roads and traversing a normal natural meadow?

That'll be a lot easier than I expected from your first post.

Is your Montero the older, bullet proof solid front and solid rear axle model, or the newer independent rear suspension model? What are the specs?
Engine size and HP and torque at what RPMs?
Axle ratio?
Any limited slip or lockers?
Tire brand and size?
Any suspension mods?
Recommended tow rating, FGAWR, RGAWR, GCWR, recommended max trailer weight rating, and curb weight of TV.

AS model, and empty weight. Loaded weight, if you have it.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWillard View Post
I love to see other people's photographs. Do you have a website where I can see some of your work?

You can see a small sample of my work at Large Format Landscape Photography -- Stephen A Willard. I practice only traditional photography using big sheet film cameras, and I have my own color darkroom where I print everything buy hand. I do primarily very big prints, and I sell all over the world. However, I am not world famous.
SWillard,
What a nice web site. I really enjoyed your photographs. Those LF landscapes are hard to top. Nice work there. I also shoot primarily film, but in 120 and 35mm format. I enjoy both the film cameras and the arcane processes of film. I develop my own B&W, but I send my color out. Although I will shoot almost anything, I generally lean towards street photography and urban landscapes. This isn't well organized, more of a dumping ground really, but here is my FLICKR site: Flickr: m stephens' Photostream

Airstreaming is new to me. We only started RVing this past summer. So, I am sure I will have a lot of new opportunities for photography.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
SWillard,
What a nice web site. I really enjoyed your photographs. Those LF landscapes are hard to top. Nice work there. I also shoot primarily film, but in 120 and 35mm format. I enjoy both the film cameras and the arcane processes of film. I develop my own B&W, but I send my color out. Although I will shoot almost anything, I generally lean towards street photography and urban landscapes. This isn't well organized, more of a dumping ground really, but here is my FLICKR site: Flickr: m stephens' Photostream

Airstreaming is new to me. We only started RVing this past summer. So, I am sure I will have a lot of new opportunities for photography.
Mark, I really like your black and white work. "Legion of Honor" in particular is one of my favorites. The tonality is really rich and creamy and the placement values of your light contrast is perfect. Bravo!

Are you a practitioner of the Zone system. It sure looks like it.

My new AS should open up a lot of opportunities for me as well. My first trip will be early this spring in Wyoming. The skies up there are amazing before and after a storm. We intend to setup camp for 2 to 3 weeks in the middle of no where on BLM land and just shoot big skies. Can't wait.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
New Market , Virginia
SWillard,

You're headed into a grand time. I picked up the same A/S in April, towing with a Ridgeline (same tow rating as Mitsubishi). Can't claim much back road experience yet, but will be interested in what you opt for and how it goes. Am planning a slow cross country move this summer (VA to WA) with a lot off back road time.

You'll love the A/S: perfect for 2, not too long, etc. And if not already, you'll find this forum amazingly helpful.

Best of luck, congratsvand keep in touch.

Martha
MStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWillard View Post
I just realized the if I can increase the clearance of my AS, I might also have to elevate the weight distribution system by flipping the shank which is the part that sides into the tow vehicle 2x2 hitch. All shanks I have seen diagramed have the long part of the vertical stem facing downward. Would this be a problem?
On another brand, we flipped the axle over and up-sized the tires to get a TT more suited to back roading ... but ... it was only a 19' hard-sided pop up with much less mass. If one of your reasons for investing (did I say investing) / buying a brand new AS was for the warranty, I would not jeopardize that warranty with any mods.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2

On another brand, we flipped the axle over and up-sized the tires to get a TT more suited to back roading ... but ... it was only a 19' hard-sided pop up with much less mass. If one of your reasons for investing (did I say investing) / buying a brand new AS was for the warranty, I would not jeopardize that warranty with any mods.
I suddenly have the urge to pull out my old ZZ Top albums. Loooowwwww riiiiiii - der......

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Cle Elum , Washington
Stephen, not to get away from your original question, but what an outstanding portfolio!
denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #36
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...and welcome to the "new owners" group. I got my 2012 28' Intl CCD last November. I did a LOT of research on everything from how to equip it, accessories, etc. on this forum before I ordered it. I went with the Tekonsha P3 controller (order the applicable harness for your car at the same time). E-trailer is a great resource. Speedy, efficient, zero hassles. Hitchwise (which I think is the single most critical factor for safety and minimal newbie concerns), I went with the ProPride 3P. Sean Woodruff -- as you'll find on this forum, is astoundingly helpful. You can research this on the Forums, and their website. My A/S dealer did the install for me, but if you've got a good toolset (and a 250 lb torsion wrench), you could do it yourself. Sean is available 24/7 for questions/problems. Plan on around $2800 for this hitch, but after two trips, I can say that I had ZERO" sway if a semi blew by me at 70 MPH. I can hitch/unhitch in a matter of minutes....the construction of the hitch allows "close enough" as the stinger gives you a couple of inches either way once you get the up/down on the money. I'm now in the process of replacing my 15" wheels and Marathon's with 16" Tredit wheels and Michelin LT tires. If you read the horror stories on this (and other) sites on the OEM tires you might consider this is an early option. (Wish I'd known I could have had JC do this for me.) Soon, I'll be selling 5 brand new wheels and tires. For my $, safety outranks everything else. That means: best hitch, best tires, careful maintenance.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote