Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWillard View Post
I am a landscape photographer, and I spend much of my time in the back country with my two llamas (they carry 200 pounds of gear for me and I pack 50 pounds) photographing with big large format cameras. The remaining times I shoot from the car and sleep in my bivy bag along the road side.
Now THAT is just too cool! I am a photographer also, but I work in the urban landscapes. Your gig sounds fantastic! Good luck, and welcome to this forum.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
This is going to get interesting ! I look forward to seeing some photos of how you do your set up. I would also love to hear some comments from the experienced forum members of how they would suggest he use this combo when he goes from pavement to rough roads. Would it be a good idea for him to disconnet the WD hitch when he gets to the backroads ? Or should he leave it in place as he traverses the slow speed uneven surfaces ?
Excellent questions.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Welcome SWillard

Don't know if you are aware of it but the front range area is home to a large and active Airstream community. For your technical questions you might Google Luke's Maintenance there in Ft Collins.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
Now THAT is just too cool! I am a photographer also, but I work in the urban landscapes. Your gig sounds fantastic! Good luck, and welcome to this forum.
I love to see other people's photographs. Do you have a website where I can see some of your work?

You can see a small sample of my work at Large Format Landscape Photography -- Stephen A Willard. I practice only traditional photography using big sheet film cameras, and I have my own color darkroom where I print everything buy hand. I do primarily very big prints, and I sell all over the world. However, I am not world famous.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Don't know if you are aware of it but the front range area is home to a large and active Airstream community. For your technical questions you might Google Luke's Maintenance there in Ft Collins.
Thanks, I will check him out.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
No that you have explained your situation and planned use, I have some further thoughts.

Since the 22 Sport is a single axle unit, you may be able to increase the tire/wheel size to get another inch or two of ground clearance. As far as raising the trailer's suspension for off road use, you should really consider some type of air bag or air shock system. These sytems would give you the ability to make adjustments. Just permanently raising the trailer on its suspension may result in some serious highway handling problems.

Also, you should consider one of the hitch systems that allows you to completely remove the weight distribution bars when traveling off road. I believe that the Reese and the Equalizer both have removable bars.

Depending on how rough the terrain will be, you may need to consider the limits of a ball hitch. At extreme angles between the tow vehicle and the trailer, a ball hitch can separate. Extreme off road trailers often use a pintle hook/lunette ring hitch system when off road and a ball hitch for the highway.

Please keep us posted on the results of your endeavor.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'm no expert but I'd imagine that anything you do to improve the off-road performance will compromise on-road performance. Raise the ground clearance and you'll adversely affect the stability and handling of the trailer. Still, I guess it's a tradeoff...

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Montero not a good Tow Vehicle

We owned two full size Montero's. First.. a Montero is a good passenger vehicle. It is comfortable and the fit and finish is excellent.

However it is not a good tow vehicle. We used one of our Montero's for a tow vehicle for only 1 - 1/2 seasons for towing a 3500 lb (5000GWR SOB). We had the factory installed towing package with the transmission and oil cooler.

The transmission would get VERY hot and the front seat mounting brackets would get almost so hot you could not touch them. We also had a recurring problem with the fuse blowing out for the trailer running lights. The dealer could never fix the problem and we had to carry extra fuses.

The engine while fine for passenger travel struggled quite a bit when towing. We live on the East Coast so we never had any real mountains that we had to worry about.

We ended trading the Montero for a Nissan Pathfinder which was a far superior tow vehicle.

For your original question a Tekonsha 90885 Prodigy P2is a great choice. We have had a several weight distributing hitches and like the Reese Dual Cam hitch the best. We did have an equalizer hitch, but the hitch caused a stress fracture on the receiver.

Good luck!

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
The transmission would get VERY hot and the front seat mounting brackets would get almost so hot you could not touch them. We also had a recurring problem with the fuse blowing out for the trailer running lights. The dealer could never fix the problem and we had to carry extra fuses.
Good luck![/SIZE]
Thanks tkowalyk for your response. I have noticed the same problem while 4WD with my llama trailer. The floor boards on the passenger side would heat up pretty bad. However, I soon figured out that if I kept the RPMs above 1800 to 2000 then things cooled down very quickly. When I am climbing hills I will probable turn overdrive off and down shift below 1800 RPMs.

I am also having the transmission cooler checked out before I pick up the AS. Perhaps I should make sure I have some extra fuses as well. I would like to hold out as long as possible before I replace the Montero until they come out with more fuel efficient cars to meet the new 55 mpg regulation. I believe that Toyota has a hybrid SUV now, and it is in the process of converting its entire lineup to hybrids as this technology matures. We just bought a new Prius and love it.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
SWillard, I have towed many miles...on the road. I have also 4 wheeled many miles off road...in my youth and WITHOUT a trailer. So I will give, if you want my opinions and open them for discussion about what I think you mean...severe off roading, with a single axle AS, BUT getting from point A to point B on the highway with the rest of the folk.

Is that what you want?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I'm no expert but I'd imagine that anything you do to improve the off-road performance will compromise on-road performance. Raise the ground clearance and you'll adversely affect the stability and handling of the trailer. Still, I guess it's a tradeoff...
I suspect that you are probably correct about the trade offs. Nothing is for free. I think that I will first see what I can get with a larger wheel before I do something more drastic. I will be emailing the AS guys to see what they think about increasing clearance. They may already have a proven solution to my problem. I will post their response as soon as I get it.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Don't count on it.....that's like asking a truck maker how to properly lift a 4wd truck 6". They are going to say Don't do it, and by the way, you are jeopardizing your warranty.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
SWillard, I have towed many miles...on the road. I have also 4 wheeled many miles off road...in my youth and WITHOUT a trailer. So I will give, if you want my opinions and open them for discussion about what I think you mean...severe off roading, with a single axle AS, BUT getting from point A to point B on the highway with the rest of the folk.

Is that what you want?
Absolutely! However, keep in mined that I do not intend to do any 4WD driving with the AS, just driving on rough roads and perhaps through fields. It is also my perceptions that a single axle is much more stable than a double axle trailer. I pulled the largest uHaul trailer I could rent with a double axle once loaded with books. As soon as I reached 70 MPH it started to sway back and forth like crazy. I have never had that problem with my single axle llama trailer.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Don't count on it.....that's like asking a truck maker how to properly lift a 4wd truck 6". They are going to say Don't do it, and by the way, you are jeopardizing your warranty.
Oh yes, the warranty. I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder. Let see what they have to say.