Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Brake controller

Need some help here group. Just bought a 2012 Silverado with the integrated brake controller. When I hooked up the camper this morning, the trailer output gain did not register. The owners manual gave a variety of reasons. Not properly connected. Nope, lights work. Not electric brakes. Nope, got that. Also, when I turn off the truck and turn it back on, I can hear the brakes on the camper kick in ( kept my foot on the brakes) for about 2 seconds, then they cut off. So, it does work. A current is being sent. Called Colonial, who told me that the integrated brake controller on the Silverado is incompatable with my "09 Airstream, and that I need to reinstall my previous controller. The dealership says they never heard of the brake controller not being incompatable. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership as to whether they still have the vehicle (traded in 2 weeks ago) or how the compatability issue can be resolved. So, my question is, do any of you have any knowledge on this issue that would save me the expense and aggravation of a trip to the dealership?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
There are two fuses for the brake controller and two wires in the fuse box. You may want to check and be sure they are both in place. I bought my 2011 without the integrated controller as we wanted the Tekonsha P3. You had to add the fuses and hook up the wires in the fuse box. long shot but it's worth a look anyway.

Here's a short video of installing an after market controller.
Brake Controller for 2012 Chevrolet Silverado - Tekonsha 90195

Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Need some help here group. Just bought a 2012 Silverado with the integrated brake controller. When I hooked up the camper this morning, the trailer output gain did not register. The owners manual gave a variety of reasons. Not properly connected. Nope, lights work. Not electric brakes. Nope, got that. Also, when I turn off the truck and turn it back on, I can hear the brakes on the camper kick in ( kept my foot on the brakes) for about 2 seconds, then they cut off. So, it does work. A current is being sent. Called Colonial, who told me that the integrated brake controller on the Silverado is incompatable with my "09 Airstream, and that I need to reinstall my previous controller. The dealership says they never heard of the brake controller not being incompatable. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership as to whether they still have the vehicle (traded in 2 weeks ago) or how the compatability issue can be resolved. So, my question is, do any of you have any knowledge on this issue that would save me the expense and aggravation of a trip to the dealership?
I'm not going to research this, but my memory tells me that some trucks' on board brake controllers won't work with electric over hydraulic disk brakes. My memory also tells me that 2010 was the year the Classics went back to electric drum brakes (that's whats mine have has). My memory is at least as old as I am, so I suggest you check that out. Yours is not the first problem like this mentioned on Airforums.

Ken
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Talking I think I got this

Thanks for your input. I think it does come down to the controller being incompatable with the hydraulics. Airstream went back to electric in 2010. I got the '09. Ford & Dodge don't have the problem, Chevy does. This, folks, is why I don't gamble.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I think it does come down to the controller being incompatable with the hydraulics. Airstream went back to electric in 2010. I got the '09. Ford & Dodge don't have the problem, Chevy does. This, folks, is why I don't gamble.
There is an up side, You have a lot more choice in where your brake controls are located. Or you could consider your 2009 trailer obsolete and trade it in on a 2013. I'm sure Colonial would be happy to help you with that.

Ken
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Fixed

Stopped by the Chevy dealership to have them reinstall my old brake controller to fix the incapatability issue. They claimed that my old controller wouldn't work on the Silverado. So a quick call to Colonial. They were able to squeeze me in and they installed the old controller ( they were aware of the service memo, why wasn't Chevy? )
Anyhow, all is well. A big thanks to my dealer and all the men in the service dept.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Stopped by the Chevy dealership to have them reinstall my old brake controller to fix the incapatability issue. They claimed that my old controller wouldn't work on the Silverado. So a quick call to Colonial. They were able to squeeze me in and they installed the old controller ( they were aware of the service memo, why wasn't Chevy? )
Anyhow, all is well. A big thanks to my dealer and all the men in the service dept.
I'm glad to hear you got it straightened out.
I wish Colonial was close to me, but not bad enough to move to the east coast.

Ken