Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
New Owner 😊

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Cary , North Carolina
Bouncing while towing

Bouncing while towing my 25f fc...have blue ox sway pro. Is this normal?
runningjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bouncing while towing

If you are describing the front if the tow vehicle feeling like it is bouncing up and down, it may be you are too light on the front end. This is usually referred to as 'porpoising'. It's not normal.

This indicates that you are not getting enough weight shifted back to the front end. If the rear of the tow vehicle is sagging and the front comes up above the normal unhitched height, that is what is probably going on. You need to either tighten your existing weight distribution bars more, or consider switching to stiffer (heavier weight rating) bars.

There are tons of threads on air forums about this. Have a look.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
While there are some very experienced folks out there who may have a better answer, thought I would try to help. I have only towed an AS for a year, but have towed other TTs for 25+ years. I have had bounce on certain roads (upstate New York) and none on others, so could be road conditions. Your tongue weight may be light (TW=9-15% of total trailer weight). I bought a tongue scale ($200+), need to weigh your trailer at trip ready load weight before you can calculate how much tongue weight you should have. Not sure how old your AS is but your axles may need to be replaced at 25 yrs or so. Pretty drastic, so start with the easy stuff first. Hope this helps...
Jim
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Could be depending on the road. If your front end is porpoising (bouncing up and down)a lot you don't have enough tension on the chains. Usually you want to go from the loose end down to the 7th or 8th link in the clamp. Do you know what weight your bars are for?
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The ones I see on the highway all over US "bouncing" are usually nose. down. Trailer must be dead level. That's a beginning on hitch lash up
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
My only bounce is highway related. If your rig is set up right you should not bounce.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ditto, I use the BOSP and the only bounce I get is also road related (Louisiana, uuk!). Cure is to slow down.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Older segmented concrete roads can set up an oscillation that is self amplifying. It varies in severity in relation to the distance between worn expansion joints and the distance between your axles. If it tows great otherwise, the cure for segmented concrete is either avoidance or to vary your speed to break up the frequency...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
I will ditto that I've only experienced this particular version of hell in upstate New York. It seems to be the way the roads are grated / segmented
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I tow a 25ft with my Tundra and don't have a problem with bounce. I am surprised since you are using a PP hitch and from what is posted here on the forum these are the best hitches in the world. Perhaps you need to look at how it is set up.

My first reaction is that you have an issue with your hitch. You might want to get someone to help you with the PP. I get "bounce" but that is usually caused by rough road conditions and the ever problematic cement roadways out there.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What is your TV and who set up your hitch?

Discounting those roads, concrete divides like route 10 in Louisiana, that are know to contribute to porpoising the hitch and TV are next for consideration. As mentioned above the hitch is more than likely not set up correctly

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Waukee , Iowa
The porpoising thing is a function of the road - probably concrete with joints resulting in sea-sickness between 65 - 75 mph while towing. You'll find it gets less bad at certain speeds and goes away entirely on asphalt.

Airsafe hitch will remediate this.
streamer_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I find that trailer and TV cargo loading seems to have a big effect. If I get porpoising, another 1/2 to 1" on the ProPride WD jacks totally stops it. Last time it happened I was a bit heavy in the truck bed and in the front of the AS. Pulled over in a rest area, cranked tighter, and no more bounce.

I should get off my butt and actually measure tongue weight with my scale and front fender height with a tape to get a better handle on this.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And then just run it across the CAT Scale three times. Still the best way to set the hitch. And most of all get a dead on reading of TV tire loads.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #15
New Owner 😊

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Cary , North Carolina
Bouncing/porpoising

Well - It seems that the hitch/Blue Ox was not set up correctly for our truck at the dealer. We had some very helpful Airstream owners at our campground help us out this weekend. We did have trouble with porpoising on the way from dealer to campground, but our new friends advised us on adjusting the hitch and sway bars. Our trip home yesterday was MUCH better. The only time we felt the bounce was on concrete sections of road. Our TV is a 2014 F150 3.5L Ecoboost/2017 25F Flying Cloud and as I said...the dealer set-up our hitch before we hit the road. We are brand new to RVing so this is a learning experience for us. So long story short...it was the hitch set-up!:roll eyes:

Thanks so much for everyone's help! So glad to have this forum!!!
runningjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Similar to rmkrum example:

We have 25FT SS Rear bed 5300 dry 6300 wet. 2014 GMC 1500 5.2 4x4 short bed. 1488 cargo 9600 tow cap. EZE-Lift WD hitched using 2-1/2 links loose (used a through bolt/nut for the 1/2 cause 3 links too tough to yank in place. With 10 gal fresh water, 800 mile trip up and back to Sequoia Natnl Forest. Lot of pulls and decends.

Sweet ride all the way up on many road surfaces good to bad. Totally tight, balanced with NO porpoising. Never better feel. We've had it before but rocking gone on this trip.

On way back same exact loading but could only do 1-1/2 loose links due to uneven ground while hitching up.

BIG, BIG difference that 1 loose link made! Much more consistent porpoising, and bounce on the same roads back. Felt like a completely different set up and hitch.

Note to Self: Keep the 2-1/2 loose links set at all times !!!
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 10 spd 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:49 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningjill View Post
Well - It seems that the hitch/Blue Ox was not set up correctly for our truck at the dealer. We had some very helpful Airstream owners at our campground help us out this weekend. We did have trouble with porpoising on the way from dealer to campground, but our new friends advised us on adjusting the hitch and sway bars. Our trip home yesterday was MUCH better. The only time we felt the bounce was on concrete sections of road. Our TV is a 2014 F150 3.5L Ecoboost/2017 25F Flying Cloud and as I said...the dealer set-up our hitch before we hit the road. We are brand new to RVing so this is a learning experience for us. So long story short...it was the hitch set-up!:roll eyes:

Thanks so much for everyone's help! So glad to have this forum!!!
Since you are running the Blue Ox setup, make sure you use molybdenum grease per the manufacture recommendations. Look for "Moly" grease. A rep at Blue ox told me that lithium grease is the same thing. After some digging I realized molybdenum isn't actually a base, it's an additive. It's designed for metal to metal applications.

You should fill the the two zerk fittings and grease the ball before every trip (at least I do). I just did this earlier on today. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	808.4 KB
ID:	272954  
TinVenture is offline   Reply With Quote