Old 05-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 22' Flying Cloud
Parkville , Missouri
"Bolt On" vs. "Clamp On" Brackets

I've narrowed down my search for Weight Distribution, but I have to decide if I want a "clamp on" bracket or a "bolt on" bracket.

Since I'm a newbie on this subject, I want to hear if there are any major considerations I should think about.

The "Clamp on" makes sense from a multi-use standpoint, but it also seems like it puts a lot of trust into a couple of tightened bolts. Has anyone ever lost a bracket while on the road?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
The brackets that came with my Curt WD system work just fine and I wouldn't worry about losing them. My brackets slip over the top of the tongue and are held in place by one bolt each. Especially when the bars are doing what they do, significant downward pressure is put on those brackets. If anything is happening to make those loosen up, you have bigger, more pressing problems to deal with.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/17063

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrik View Post
I've narrowed down my search for Weight Distribution, but I have to decide if I want a "clamp on" bracket or a "bolt on" bracket.

Since I'm a newbie on this subject, I want to hear if there are any major considerations I should think about.

The "Clamp on" makes sense from a multi-use standpoint, but it also seems like it puts a lot of trust into a couple of tightened bolts. Has anyone ever lost a bracket while on the road?

Not on the road but I did have a Blue Ox clamp on bracket fly off and hit the side of my head while releasing a bar. I made the mistake of trusting the work done at a dealership. I should of double checked the brackets for proper install. Lesson learned the hard and painful way.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote