Old 06-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I know, old thread... But, I just picked up my new to me 1967 17' Caravel with my 2008 X5 4.8i with active suspension, 20" wheels, and rear self leveling air bags. The X5 averaged about 19mpg on the way to pick up the trailer and about 11.5mpg at 70mph with the trailer in tow. I did not use any sway control or WDH. The X5 towed the trailer perfectly. Other than the obvious fact that the engine had to work harder to pull the trailer, you would never know it was behind the X5. Using an RF brake controller, stopping was never an issue. One abrupt slow down on the freeway (where a BMW 3 series had to serve onto the shoulder to prevent hitting the car in front) I simply applied the brakes firmly and stopped with ease. Absolutely no sway issues even at my self imposed speed limit of 70 mph. The X5 mph dropped quickly as speeds increased. 70 mph was the point where the speed/mph point came together acceptably for me. Basically, 65mph yielded 12mpg and 70 mph yielded 11mpg.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
many of the "mph" should be "mpg" above. Noticed after I could no longer edit...sorry.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #31

Currently Looking...
Arroyo Grande , California
X5 towing

David. Are you towing in Sport Mode for either chassis or transmission?
Willie
Old 06-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #32

Currently Looking...
Arroyo Grande , California
X5d towing

Rod. Now that you have had this setup for awhile, have the loads stressed your car? We might be getting a trailer like you have but thought the loads were out of limit for the x5. We use a hitch only without WDH and try to keep the hitch load to less than 600lbs.
Thanks,
Willie
Old 06-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieL View Post
David. Are you towing in Sport Mode for either chassis or transmission?
Willie
No, I did not even consider doing so. Not that I wouldn't, I just never thought to try. The thing I like least about my X5 is its tendency to downshift when needed and hold that gear regardless until the grade levels off. Does it with or with a trailer. So, I often change to manual mode and force the upshift. Otherwise, I am nearing 4k rpms for no reason at a steady speed even on the slightest incline.

As an aside, I plan to change the "lifetime" transmission fluid soon to ensure the extra stress on the transmission does not prematurely degrade the fluid. My X5 is almost due for the fluid change anyway. But, depending on how often we tow, the fluid will be change on an accelerated interval.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2012 19' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
X5 Load Stresses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieL View Post
Rod. Now that you have had this setup for awhile, have the loads stressed your car? We might be getting a trailer like you have but thought the loads were out of limit for the x5. We use a hitch only without WDH and try to keep the hitch load to less than 600lbs.
Thanks,
Willie
We've towed the 25' approximately 12k miles over the last 18 months, over a variety of terrain types from the Great Plains to the Rocky and Shenandoah Mountains. The X5d remains superbly comfortable and capable as a tow vehicle. With 96k miles on the odometer, the suspension is starting soften a bit, on par with my previous 2003 530i with which I did not tow.

Andy Thomson tweaked my hitch setup last week, balancing the front/rear and left/right weight distribution so the vehicle settles perfectly level onto the suspension when I connect the Airstream.

Tongue weight is running at 775 pounds, with ~175 of that transferring onto the front axle. I'm running at 35/38 psi on the X5's tires, as recommended on the door panel, staying well under maximum tire load capacities. My tires are wearing evenly, handling and braking are excellent.

Bottom Line: things are going very well. I have these occasional bouts of envy when I see all the stuff fellow Airstreamers haul in their trucks, but I get over it pretty quickly when we unhook. The X5 serves us very well.