Old 08-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Joy

PM sent.

The 2.5 hours standard time from BMW is for the hitch receiver, trailer electrical control, and recoding the vehicle. It does not include the trailer brake controller.

Their time is still double what it should be.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Their quote on that is down from $3200 to $1080, based on 5.5 hours labor without parts.

I am still looking for solutions.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelear View Post
Uhaul did a great job and we were out the door with hitch and brake controller for $879.00.

What kind of hitch and controller they used? Theirs or you supplied the parts?

If your TV the same as mine? X5

I got a quote from them for $675 with their uhaul brand parts. And they don't install any parts if they are not from them.

I just called one location in Dallas. Different locations might be different?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thank you David! So nice to see another x5 towing case!

So to clarify: there are three parts

1. Hitch receiver. Could be OEM or other brand. In my case, Andy suggested CURT class III

2. Electric harness. It is wiring stuff through the car. OEM or third party

3. Electric brake controller. Looks like to box. It will plug to the electric harness interface. Could be OEM or prodigy P3.

Correct?

So if I follow andy's advice and input from people here, it could be:

1. CURT receiver (from Andy's advice)
2. BMW OEM harness (for more signal control, from people here)
3. Prodigy P3 controller (to plug into the harness)

Then it seems there is coding in the process (which step? Who is the best to do the above job, especially coding?)
Old 08-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #32
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
There is only coding involved if you use the BMW OE wiring harness. It is available separately if you go with the Curt hitch. It can be done by the dealer, or an independent shop with the appropriate computer tool. Not likely by U Haul, but that is just a guess.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
The OE wiring harness is ready/setup for any typical electric brake controller (BMW uses prodigy). However, a set of wires must be run from the rear right electrical compartment to the controller location...a pain in the you know what. For this reason and not wanting to mount the controller, I went with the RF controller. When not towing the Airstream, the controller stays with the Airstream and I don't lose a cup holder as you would with the OE setup.

My suggestion is go OE with the receiver hitch and wiring/control module. You wont be sorry and it all is made for the truck. Get the trim for the rear bumper cutout. The receive mounting height is correct, etc. I paid $510 for the receiver/wiring/module kit from my local dealer. Installation was straightforward. I normally do my own coding, but for some reason failed in my attempt to code the trailer module. My local INDY coded the module for $60.00

Receiver kit: 71-60-2-156-525
Bumper trim: 71-60-0-035-371
Old 08-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Hi David!

Thank you for your reply. How much labor cost the dealer charges? Mine for installing parts I supply is $1008 (installation alone).

They will get back to me with OEM parts and installation. But they are so incredibly slow to respond. Haven't heard from them.

Got a local hitch shop's quote

CURT class III: parts and labor: $425

$400 for prodigy RF using Bmw harness kit I provide
$285 for P3 with BMW harness kit I provide.

They have done installation on BMW X5. Sounds like he knows his stuff and has good reviews on Yelp.

He hasn't installed the OEM hitch receiver and couldn't give me an estimate on labor hours ($110/hour)

So any recommendation on RF vs P3? Both are reliable?
Old 08-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
redundant?

finally I got response from my dealer. But I think in the quote there is redundant part 71602156526 electrical kit should be already included in hitch trailer kit 71602156525?

Please verify if you know because the rep became inpatient when I asked him to confirm.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
My recollection is that the harness and control module are included in the receiver hitch part number I provided. The module is important as it turns off parking sensors when trailer connected among other important functions.

Kit comes with installation instructions. Not very difficult if comfortable doing your own occasional car repairs.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #37
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Both hitch kits I installed on my own vehicles (X3 and X5) included the wiring harness.

This link from ECS shows the BMW part number for the hitch kit, and notes that it includes the wiring harness.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/71602156525/

This link from ECS shows the detail of the BMW wiring kit, and notes that it is included in the hitch kit

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...s/71602156526/

I suspect that the parts clerk who priced out those two items for you at the dealership just went off your request and doesn't know what is in the kit. Hopefully the service department is more on the ball.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
BMW X5 towing setup

Finally the dealer confirmed it was redundant. But still they quote 5.5 hours labor instead of 2.5 hour suggested labor time.

Also I am a little bit confused about brake controller. Now I am inclined to install prodigy RF model. I was told just it need to screw on the trailer? Do I need BMW dealer to install this? Or coding is required for the brake controller?

Millions of thanks to you, I am getting closer to final resolution. Please bear with me!

I feel dismayed that after reading pages and pages of info, I don't seem to understand more of the fundamentals. Where did the classical mechanics, physics knowledge I learned in school go?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #39
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We have the RF brake controller and like it a lot. Hand unit takes power from a cigarette lighter socket and requires no hard wires to be connected. Brake control bolts to tongue and communicates through 7 wire conductor cable between the hitch socket and the trailer umbilical plug. The issue that you could have is mating the units. Ours went with no problems. Sometimes another vehicle is required to perform this step in activation. Also you may need to use an adapter ($40) which provides incandescent resistance that the LED tail lights on the trailer do not provide. Pat
Old 08-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thank you pat!

I watched more YouTube and found the unit was mounted on the trailer. So my question is "should I bring it to my airstream dealer for them to install and pair?"

After my BMW dealer installs OEM hitch receiver and electrical harness and programming, then their job is done?

If would be easier if both my TV and AS are at the same location. But they are not
Old 08-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #41
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We had our AS dealer source and install the RF at a cost of $600 so all including the pairing was their responsibility. You could likely source the brake control and have them do the install labor. Worth asking, especially if they are installing the weight distribution hitch. Pat
Old 11-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #42

2007 19' Bambi
Cerritos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRod View Post
My 2012 X5d hauls our 2015 FC Rear Twin quite capably. Fuel economy suffers, just as with any vehicle, in our case ~14.5 to 15.5 mpg, depending on terrain and speed.

I opted for BMW's rebranded Tekonsha Prodigy because it included the proprietary wiring harness...worth its weight in gold. It routes from the right side of the rear compartment to the center console. I had the dealer in Minneapolis install it for me just to avoid disassembling all the trim myself. That cost about two-hours labor.

Can-Am did a great job of reinforcing the OEM hitch receiver, and just inspected it in June. Its holding up quite well.

You'll have a different torque curve than my diesel. Change your fluids regularly, including transmission and transfer case, and your V-8 should do quite well.

Ignore the ton truck crowd and enjoy yourself.
Hi I just got a 19' Bambi and I own a x5 diesel as well. Would you be able to let me how high the hitch ball should be?

Thanks!