Old 07-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRod View Post
My 2012 X5d hauls our 2015 FC Rear Twin quite capably. Fuel economy suffers, just as with any vehicle, in our case ~14.5 to 15.5 mpg, depending on terrain and speed.

I opted for BMW's rebranded Tekonsha Prodigy because it included the proprietary wiring harness...worth its weight in gold. It routes from the right side of the rear compartment to the center console. I had the dealer in Minneapolis install it for me just to avoid disassembling all the trim myself. That cost about two-hours labor.

Can-Am did a great job of reinforcing the OEM hitch receiver, and just inspected it in June. Its holding up quite well.

You'll have a different torque curve than my diesel. Change your fluids regularly, including transmission and transfer case, and your V-8 should do quite well.

Ignore the ton truck crowd and enjoy yourself.
Thank you so much. it is very encouraging. I assume you had been towing your FC 25 without the reinforcement for a while? How did that go? I cannot reach CAN AM until next spring. I have a 90 day trip planned from dallas texas zigzag back to Vancouver/Victoria/Whistler area before December. So it is estimated 3500 miles/5000km trip. I hope i will be ok without the reinforcement

Old 07-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Yes, the dealer where I bought the AS recommended blue OX as well. I really don't have the expertise to tell the differences.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Maybe a jet ski or kayak, but not an AS. Transmission is a weak link on the X5. Expect it to be the first thing to fail. I worked on BMW's for 40 years and I have seen many X5's in the shop from towing. I would not recommend it. Get a truck!
Southlake, TX
WBCCI
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2012 19' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
We towed our prior Airstream, a 2012 FC 19 footer, extensively before having the hitch reinforced at Can-Am. We bought the 25 afterward, so I've no experience sans reinforcement.

Reinforcement consists of welding a custom bent 2x2" square steel tube (longitudinally, north-south if you will) from the receiver to a suitable attachment point forward of the rear axle. While Can-Am specializes in this work, I can't imagine that they are the only folks capable of performing the task.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRod View Post
-- snip -- from the receiver to a suitable attachment point forward of the rear axle. -- snip -- folks capable of performing the task.
Yes, there is a shop in LA that says they can reinforce. They bolt, not weld, which is interesting. Not seen a post who used them. Believe a Bay area shop helped Bono. Lots of shops do fab work if you have a design.

Any chance you have a picture of your forward attachment point. This is the first post that suggested attachment forward of rear axle. Certainly sounds like a good approach. Pat
Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
These are photos of my reinforcement. I believe StillRod used the same attachment point.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1707559
Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Bono - it was my understanding that you attached behind the axle and that is what I see in the photos. It is common on solid axle suspension mods to include torque arms that attach to subframe connectors, which are forward of the rear axle. It's also a common approach for the suspension on the Nascar truck chassis. Thought that might be what was done for SRs reinforcement. Pat
Old 08-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelear View Post
We just had our hitch and brake controller installed on our '15 X5 at U-haul in McKinney. They did a very clean job.

I am beyond frustration. Dallas bmw dealer quoted me $3229 for installing their receiver and brake control.

I don't know who i should ask next for the installation. U-haul? I heard both good and horrible stories about uhaul
Old 08-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Get OEM hitch with OEM harness. Use reputable hitch shop in your area (you may check via yelp). BMW estimates 2.5 hrs installation time with coding. Personally, I would not got to u-haul for installation. OEM brake controller is just plug and tow to the OEM harness. You do not have to install this permanently. BMW estimates 1.25 hrs (from memory) to install the brake controller. The stealer quote is just ridiculous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...BSq176&vxp=mtr
Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Get OEM hitch with OEM harness. Use reputable hitch shop in your area (you may check via yelp). BMW estimates 2.5 hrs installation time with coding. Personally, I would not got to u-haul for installation. OEM brake controller is just plug and tow to the OEM harness. You do not have to install this permanently. BMW estimates 1.25 hrs (from memory) to install the brake controller. The stealer quote is just ridiculous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...BSq176&vxp=mtr
Yes, they quoted 8.5 hours at $163. I told him the suggested installation time was 2.5 hours.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #25
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Joy

PM sent.

The 2.5 hours standard time from BMW is for the hitch receiver, trailer electrical control, and recoding the vehicle. It does not include the trailer brake controller.

Their time is still double what it should be.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
McKinney , Texas
Uhaul did a great job and we were out the door with hitch and brake controller for $879.00.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:43 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2012 19' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Brain Cramp. My attachment point is forward of the rear lateral exhaust componentry. It is NOT forward of the rear axle. I like the idea of bolts vs. welds to accommodate potential future maintenance needs.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I also tow my Airstream with a 2008 BMW X5 4.8i. I installed a BMW (purchased through dealer parts department) receiver hitch and wiring harness/controller. The "official" BMW electric brake controller is nothing more than a mounting kit for a standard (non BMW) brake controller. I ended up using the Prodigy RF controller with stellar results. Like others have said in other threads, you must pair the RF controller to a regular vehicle and then transfer to the BMW. The trailer wiring module will not allow the brake controller to pair with the BMW.

As far as the BMW transmission suffering from trailering, it is possible just like any other vehicle, even trucks. The automatic transmission is made by ZF and is used in many vehicles, even some GM's. The key to saving the transmission is avoid high load/rpm shifting (let up on throttle and then use the steptronic to force the upshift). Also, towing will cause higher fluid temperature and quicker fluid degradation due to the heat. So, change the lifetime fluid more often and the transmission will last just fine.