Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Blue Ox Sway Pro W/D System

Iíve been thinking about replacing our weight distribution system. Itís the old style Reese cam and itís probably original to the trailer. No problems Ė itís done fine for the limited amount of towing weíve done but itís just time to modernize things a bit. We also bought a Quickbite Coupler Ė but thatís another post.

So I start looking around and find this store on Ebay that sells, among other things, damaged box items Ė mostly from Amazon. Apparently Amazon gets a replacement and any damaged box items get sold off in bulk.

They have a Blue OX Sway Pro with 750 lb. bars listed. Did some research on the thing and I canít find anything really negative about it. Four point sway control Ė no greasy parts Ė no snapping bars into place - no towing noise and no unhooking it to back up.

His listing says itís missing some bolts from the parts bag and the powder coat has some scuffs on a couple of the parts. Email to Blue Ox with whatís missing and they reply right away Ė no problem just let us know what parts you need. Bid on it and, other than one sniper bidder at the last second, there were no other players. I got it really cheap. Arrived in one day - free shipping.

Looked through the parts and called Blue Ox to confirm. Turns out there are no parts missing. The parts listed as missing were just preinstalled bolts and adjusters. Couple scuffs that will wax out and the Blue Ox logos were scratched. The mfg. agreed to send replacements for the logos. So thatís my ďsometimes you get lucky storyĒ. How lucky of course depends on how well it works.

Is anyone using this system and if so do you have any tips or comments you can share.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
I picked one up here locally off CL for $175. If you don't already have the instruction manual, it's readily available online, just google it. I don't have any real world experience with it yet, as I've only used it to trailer back and forth to the storage lot, but I'm glad to hear that their customer service has been top notch as I'm missing one integral little piece of metal that holds the bar into the hitch assembly. I have the drop pin, I'm missing the tiny sliver of metal that holds the drop pin securely in place.

Interesting you said you don't have to take it off to back up. I assume that's in their sales literature? I tried backing up ONCE without taking them off and it rotated the receiving tube on one of the bars on the hitch about 3".

Congrats on getting what seems to be a great WDH! I read a lot about it before making my purchase and everything I saw was positive also. Looking forward to reading what others have experienced with it.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I've also been thinking about the sway pro. I'll be following the conversation!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I picked one up here locally off CL for $175. If you don't already have the instruction manual, it's readily available online, just google it. I don't have any real world experience with it yet, as I've only used it to trailer back and forth to the storage lot, but I'm glad to hear that their customer service has been top notch as I'm missing one integral little piece of metal that holds the bar into the hitch assembly. I have the drop pin, I'm missing the tiny sliver of metal that holds the drop pin securely in place.

Interesting you said you don't have to take it off to back up. I assume that's in their sales literature? I tried backing up ONCE without taking them off and it rotated the receiving tube on one of the bars on the hitch about 3".

Congrats on getting what seems to be a great WDH! I read a lot about it before making my purchase and everything I saw was positive also. Looking forward to reading what others have experienced with it.
Whatever the part is you need I don't think you'll have a problem getting it from them. They were very helpful the two times we touched base with them. Apparently have someone in customer service 24/7.

So did you have a problem when you tried backing up? My comment came from all the listing for the product and comments on RV.net and the Forest River site. Here's one product listing....

Topline RV Demo Parts Store. Sway Pro 1500 Lb
Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
We just got our 25' 2008 Safari and picked it up in Tuscon last weekend with old Reese style cam hitch...it creaked, and moaned, and twisted when we pulled it away...since I was driving to Montana, I did not trust this one...sure enough, it was worn the Lazyday dealer told us. They only had Blue-Ox in stock, so I bought it to get on my way...what a nice set up...no issues after 2300 miles this past week. Looks nice also matching the frame of the AS...easy to load using the power lift in front to bring a little over center to lock in the chanes, vs using the wrench..really nice set up and easier to work with than the older Reese I used to own. It also was a 750 lb load rating..
Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
By the way Taylormade: is there an issue with backing up with Blue Ox connected? I have been backing up without any issues while parking the trailer....I did not see any refrence warning about backing up...let me know if I am missing something. Again, I have the 750 model. Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
So did you have a problem when you tried backing up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
By the way Taylormade: is there an issue with backing up with Blue Ox connected? I have been backing up without any issues while parking the trailer....I did not see any refrence warning about backing up...let me know if I am missing something. Again, I have the 750 model. Thanks
I'm not 100% sure, all I know is that I didn't disconnect it and backed up into my driveway at a pretty sharp radius to park it. I disconnected everything and didn't notice that the cam had swiveled back towards the hitch ball, but the next morning when I went to remove the hitch assembly, it was noticeable. About 2" noticeable. Perhaps someone came by in the night and hit it or something but I know when I left the storage lot they were both pointing out diagonally and when I removed it, the right one was significantly less diagonal. The nuts that hold it in place were still very tight and I wasn't able to straighten it back out without first backing them off. I'll experiment some more in the coming weeks.

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
The nuts that hold it in place were still very tight and I wasn't able to straighten it back out without first backing them off. I'll experiment some more in the coming weeks.

Cheers!
How many pounds torque are you using on the antisway nuts that you had to loosen? Maybe over tightened or not equally torqued.... just a thought.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Just wanted to chime back in here. I can definitely concur with the customer support of Blue Ox. They're top notch, can't say enough about them.

As for the system itslef, I used it for the first time on a 40 mile trip. Worked great but to be fair, it's a short trip.

Lastly I don't see how anyone can back up the trailer without first removing the support arms. I didn't do it this last time, and they both were offset when I went to unhitch.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Quote:

Lastly I don't see how anyone can back up the trailer without first removing the support arms. I didn't do it this last time, and they both were offset when I went to unhitch.
Sorry to revive another Blue Ox thread, but the other one got me researching this a little bit.

Can you elaborate on your concern about backing up while hitched? By "offset" are you saying that after backing up and turning that the chains are no longer vertical? If so, wouldn't this occur while turning while either moving forward or backward, and would eventually correct itself after a few more turns and/or straight running? Sorry for the silly question as I have a "brand E" hitch, no chains.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Sorry to revive another Blue Ox thread, but the other one got me researching this a little bit.

Can you elaborate on your concern about backing up while hitched? By "offset" are you saying that after backing up and turning that the chains are no longer vertical? If so, wouldn't this occur while turning while either moving forward or backward, and would eventually correct itself after a few more turns and/or straight running? Sorry for the silly question as I have a "brand E" hitch, no chains.
According to BlueOx, you do not need to disconnect anything prior to backing up. I never disconnect mine before backing up, even into my parking spot at home, which is a tight turn. I just hook it up and use it, never have had an issue.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Weight rating of Blue Ox bars

Let me ask for some words of wisdom/experience. I'm considering a Blue Ox Sway Pro to go with a 25FB Flying Cloud we have on order. The trailer is listed at 837 pounds (no options, empty, dry). Our trailer will have no options. Do you think we should go with 1000 pound bars or 1500 pound bars? Do you have any idea whether the Blue Ox ratings tend to run low or high?

Those of you with the Sway Pro, what bars do you use and have you measured your tongue weight?

The AS dealer I'm getting the trailer from is not a dealer for Blue Ox hitches, so they won't have the different bars for us to try on the spot, and they don't have experience setting up Airstreams with Blue Ox.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Sway Pro with Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon?

Anybody using the Sway Pro with a recent GM full-size SUV? The ones with the receiver in the middle of the bumper?

I have a 2010 Yukon Denali and have a 25FB Flying Clound on order. The Denali has auto-leveling rear suspension, which I think means I won't get any significant sag when the trailer is hooked up. On my Yukon, the top of the receiver hole is 24 inches off the ground. The AS manual says the coupler height on the trailer I am getting is 17.75 inches.

I found the current Sway Pro owner's manual on their website. It has a page that shows the top-of-ball height for each of the shank sizes they offer, at the max and min drop. Their greatest drop is with the 11 hole receiver. This puts the top of the ball 3.28 inches below the centerline of the receiver. So that would be (24 - 1 - 3.28) = 19.72 inches above the ground--two inches above the AS hitch height. Does that mean I can't use the Sway Pro, or that I need a custom shank? How hard is it to get a custom shank built?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post

Yeah, at the time of that post I was a super noob on WDH set ups. By offset, I simply meant that the bars were turned one way or another. At the time, I thought it wasn't supposed to happen.

Over the last year, I've enjoyed the Blue Ox very much, although I've never used another brand, so I have nothing to compare it against.