Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
Blue ox sway pro settings

Hi Gurus

I got a new truck, a 2019 F250. I got a new 9 hole hitch shank for 3/4 ton trucks. I got the ball on the lowest setting and the chain on the 8th from the top.

The trailer looks a little tilted up at the hitch. Should I go to the 9th chain link or 7th to try to improve the levelness?

Picture is attached.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190711_193344.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	346187  
Alreddawg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Trailer looks level to me
Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A 23 and an F250 ..... is eighth from the top the same as eight from the loose end of the chain or eight from the u-bolt. One is tight the other is somewhat loose.

For an F250, you likely don't need to transfer much weight. However to answer your question tighter should lift the back and looser should allow it to drop a bit. If you are high at the tongue, you would loosen the chains.

The BOSP does not have independent weight transfer and sway control adjustment. So backing off on the weight shift will reduce your sway control preload.

You have to have 2" of bend/deflection in the spring bars. Less than that degrades your sway control.

The F250 is stiff enough that less weight shift (less stiff hitch) will give the AS a better ride. A stiffer hitch will transfer more shock to the trailer.

A trip to the CAT scale will give to a baseline to work out your tune. Get the weight for both trailer axles separately. That helps to identify too much or too little weight shift.

There is a bit of info in the BO threads that may help.

That does not answer your question, but may help you work in the right direction. Level is important and is linked to other parameters as well.

You may find that the BO is perfect, and may alternatively find that you need independent sway and weight distribution adjustment.

First, go to flat level ground and measure front and rear trailer frame. How much out of level are you? Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
Yeah I think I am being a little paranoid with an inch or two but glad someone else saw this was level!
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
By the way this is 8 from the loose end. I can't really tell if it's over tight or not.

I think I am about 1 inch higher on the tongue but I could be paranoid.

I really just didn't know what 7, 8,9 links from the end (loose end) does.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The fewer the links from the end, the less weight transfer and the less sway control. So 7 from the end is light, 8 is light end of normal, 9 is on the tight side, and 10 is heavy duty approaching the need for heavier bars. Which bars do you have? 500s, 750s, or 1000s?

Look at your bars from the side. How much deflection/bend in the bars do you have?

Measure from ground to frame in front and back to verify level. The eye can be deceiving. Use a long construction level to check the floor from the inside and then check that against the surface on which you are parked. That will give you another reference.

The issue with level is that high tongue puts weight on back coach axle. Low on the tongue puts extra weight on the front coach axle. That is why you want level.

The other agenda is to balance the TV axle loading. The vehicle manual should provide guidance on that issue.

Pat
Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
I have 750lbs bars.

I will measure the bends but I think the are pretty good.

I will take measurements tomorrow!

Thanks so much!
Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alreddawg19 View Post
By the way this is 8 from the loose end. I can't really tell if it's over tight or not.
8 links from the loose end is the recommended setting for sway control. If you need more, put it in the 9th link from the end. Less sway control would be 7 from the end. Less than 7 links from the end is not recommended.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Hi Gurus

I got a new truck, a 2019 F250. I got a new 9 hole hitch shank for 3/4 ton trucks. I got the ball on the lowest setting and the chain on the 8th from the top.

The trailer looks a little tilted up at the hitch. Should I go to the 9th chain link or 7th to try to improve the levelness?

Picture is attached.

Alan

All I can offer is what we have gone through w/our 2017 Classic and 3500 RAM, setting up our Blue Ox. Both the 7 and 9 hole shank at bottom hole setting was not enough to put top of ball level and w/Classic interior top of receiver. We had to step down to a 2" 11 hole shank to be on same level plain. We have tried 7 and 8 loose end of chain. 8 works best. The newer 250's and 3500's sit high. Currently Blue Ox does not make a 2-1/2" shank for 9 or 11 hole shank.

Safe travels and best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I squinted st your photo for a long time and I think it looks fine.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I have 750lbs bars. -- snip -- Thanks so much!
The 750s should be about right for that trailer. It's what we use, so Tom Clancy says you are very intelligent.

Suspect if your tongue is high, it's not the hitch spring bar preload that is lifting it, but rather the shank not having enough drop. Other mfg's make shanks, but it may take a custom to meet your needs. Those 2.5 hitches do not have the wide range of shank availability to meet all requirements.

The weight on your axles is the test. After your measurements, weigh all axles separately at a CAT scale or similar. Same on front and rear trailer axle = no concern. Heavy load on rear trailer axle = a possible problem. Either you are loaded too heavy in back of the trailer or the weight distribution may be excessive. I don't think that is the issue, but you should check. More data gives you better direction for your decisions. Your TV axle weights should conform to the OEM recommendations.

Do not assume all is right. Testing is the final step.

You are welcome. Pat
Old 07-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Eagle , Idaho
Regarding Blue Ox leveling. I've got the Sway Pro 1000 with lb bars. My trailer and truck appear to be level with either 7 or 8 links hanging loose. My issue is with releasing the tension when I'm ready to disconnect the trailer from the hitch. Due to the amount of tension, I've had that wrench come out of my hands in what I would call a dangerous way. What am I doing wrong? The local Airstream dealer encouraged me to extend my tongue jack to ease the tension, but it still scares me to release this thing.
IdahoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
You are correct to be concerned. Take that OEM wrench and throw it into the scrap bin. Go to Harbor Freight or similar and buy a long breaker bar (18-24") and 1" six point socket. Use that to improve your control when you rotate the chain locks either up or down. Still appropriate to keep your body out of the path the breaker bar would take if your grip slipped.

Use your tongue jack to lift the tongue and truck up to release the spring bar preload force and reduce the energy release hazard. Other types of hitches require this approach as well.

Spend some time reading the BO threads. The info there helps new users. There are about five long threads and a bunch of short ones. Pat
Old 07-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Eagle , Idaho
Blue Ox Tension Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
You are correct to be concerned. Take that OEM wrench and throw it into the scrap bin. Go to Harbor Freight or similar and buy a long breaker bar (18-24") and 1" six point socket. Use that to improve your control when you rotate the chain locks either up or down. Still appropriate to keep your body out of the path the breaker bar would take if your grip slipped.

Use your tongue jack to lift the tongue and truck up to release the spring bar preload force and reduce the energy release hazard. Other types of hitches require this approach as well.

Spend some time reading the BO threads. The info there helps new users. There are about five long threads and a bunch of short ones. Pat
Pat thanks for much for your experienced guidance!!
Idaho RV AKA David
IdahoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRV View Post
Regarding Blue Ox leveling. I've got the Sway Pro 1000 with lb bars. My trailer and truck appear to be level with either 7 or 8 links hanging loose. My issue is with releasing the tension when I'm ready to disconnect the trailer from the hitch. Due to the amount of tension, I've had that wrench come out of my hands in what I would call a dangerous way. What am I doing wrong? The local Airstream dealer encouraged me to extend my tongue jack to ease the tension, but it still scares me to release this thing.

Most of us have had a learning moment on setting and releasing of "the bars". Believe it or not one can set and release safely by hand and a good pair of gloves. Once you have coupled TV to AS take all of the AS tongue weight of the TV receiver by using tongue jack. Raise to the point you have taken all weight and lifted TV slightly. At this point you can safely set or release "the bars" as they will have no tension on them until you have lowered full AS tongue weight on TV receiver. It also helps to keep your "cams" well lubricated.

Yes Blue OX wrench used incorrectly can cause much pain and damage to one's body parts. Breaker bar, extension, and socket are the way to go.

Safe travels and Best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
I just got a new F250 & 27 Classic and just switched my hitch from a Reese Dual Cam to the Blue Ox, I’ve got my head mounted with one hole open on the bottom. I’m on the 9th chain - my first tow will be this weekend.

Your setup looks good.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Alan - do you turn off your anti sway? The Blue Ox manual said you “may’ need to turn off the anti sway.

Thanks,

Tom

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote