Old 05-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Blue Ox wrench supplied is ok, not ideal. 1" socket, 4" extension, 20" breaker bar.

Hooking up, ball and coupler aligned, weight off your hitch. #7 or #8 link (for us), rotate and lock, lower coupler onto the ball.

Unhitching, block AS tires, take the weight off hitch, pull the pin and release the "cam".

Oh yes, releasing the "cams" w/full weight on your receiver is not a good or safe idea/maneuver. Doing this w/Blue Ox wrench is a sure fire way to do damage to ones self.

Best regards and safe travels

sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Dana Point , CA
oh my! That is frightening!

If you have to work hard at releasing the chain, there is too much pressure. Raise the hitch until it is easy to release. I use the blue ox issue wrench, pull the release lever with bare hand and the chains fall to the ground. Easy when you take the load off. Would never attempt to do it otherwise.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
When we headed to the Seattle area AS dealer to pick up our new 27' AS, our first ever trailer, they gave us about a 2 hour tour of every aspect of the trailer. When we were hooking the trailer to the TV, with the Blue Ox, the fellow scared the bejesus out of me with dire warnings about releasing the chains. Told me to "pay attention", or "do you understand" sorts of things.

So, for the first year, I was quite nervous about it. Less so the second year. Nothing bad happened, but I certainly focused on what I was doing.

Then like others, I used the 18" or so ˝ inch bar with the 1" socket instead of the Blue Ox device, and that made life much better! More control and leverage.

The first year I was seeing 4 and a half links from the U-bolt end, the second year I could get 3 and a half links, and this year by raising the TV/trailer up higher (using a block of wood and now a leveler = about 6" total), can get 2 and a half links showing from the U-bolt end. Things seem fine.

What do folks use to 'lube' between the Blue Ox trailer mounted rotating piece, and the A frame. A tight space, and I have used spray silicone and the dry spray stuff, but is there something else that works that doesn't build up dirt 'mud'? Lubricant helps make cranking easier.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Pierce View Post
-- snip -- What do folks use to 'lube' between the Blue Ox trailer mounted rotating piece, and the A frame. -- snip --.
WD40 is a heavy oil/grease with a solvent to allow airborn delivery. When the solvent evaporates the heavy oil/grease is left behind. PB Blaster is a mineral oil base and likely a better product for this application. Blaster silicone or teflon products may be best, since that is a dry lube.

We found that sand/grit built up behind the rotators after traveling on roads treated for ice prevention. We used high pressure water to remove grit and followed with a spray lube (PB Blaster we had available from use in marine applications). Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Important - a 7-8 link from the end of the chain setting is light pre-load for the spring bar. How the rig feels is important. However, most important is that the spring bars are loaded enough to prevent/manage sway. That requires about 2" of flex in the bars. Maybe a little less for your rig, but not much.

It sounds like you were feeling the trailer moving and did not like it. I have a similar sensitivity, so understand the issue. However, the lower preload may not be be giving you the best result with respect to sway control.

Also, what weights are transfered is very important. At a minimum the front axle should see the unladened design weight when hitched. At most all axles should not exceed gross maximum loads. The rear axle should not see less weight than the front axle. Spend time at the CAT scale and tune the hitch setup. Then, with caution, test the setup. My guess is that eight is close and nine from the end will be better.

Note, every trip is a different loadout, different wind, and different schedule. Keep your attentive goove on with tune, test, and all your driving focus. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #20

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks Pat! Yes, the first time I towed, I felt like the trailer was "lurching" behind me. This has not been the case since the B-Ox was installed. I will be sure to fine tune it on the CAT scale next time I take a trip.

nataliekel1 is offline   Reply With Quote