Old 04-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Blue Ox Equalizer

Anyone with ideas on Airstream dealership's installed Blue Ox Equalizer hitch? Having one as recommended installed on new 23FB Flying Cloud.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Not sure what ideas you are looking for. I just purchased a Blue Ox.
There are videos on how to install it and set it up.
The first thing is. You need to know the tongue weight of the coach when loaded ready to travel.
You also need to know how much weight you will add to the TV in the form of cargo behind the rear axle.
Don't forget to add the weight of the Blue Ox. Which will come in right at 100#.
Looks like a solid unit. Made in America.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 04-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I had a 23fb with a Husky hitch and one sway bar. I switched to a Blue Ox when we purchased our current 25fb. I can't tell any difference in sway control between the two. In terms of ease of use the Blue Ox wins hands down. I do think the Husky had more adjustability since you can't change the angle of the hitch head on the Blue Ox. I would think it would work even better on the 23fb since it has such low tongue weight??

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Assuming you mean the Blue Ox SwayPro. I have one. It was initially installed by the local Airstream dealership. Recommend you keep a very good eye on the tightness of the brackets. They will work lose and fly off under a Ton of pressure when releasing the chains. I had to make a visit to the ER because of this happening. Smacked me up side the head. Bruised my orbital socket and a mild concussion. I looked like someone took a base ball bat to the side of my head. Just a heads up if you decide to make the purchase. It does a credible job but does have a bit of a pucker factor when releasing the chains. Not sure I will ever fell safe unhitching. Strongly thinking of going back to the Anderson WD system. It is very easy and safe to adjust and use.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You are supposed to raise the tongue to the point of removing the tension on the spring bars when unhitching. Same goes for when you hitch up.
Lock the coupler on the ball. Use the tongue jack and raise the trailer and TV 3"to4". Then latch the spring bars in.
There is a very good video on this procedure.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
You are supposed to raise the tongue to the point of removing the tension on the spring bars when unhitching. Same goes for when you hitch up.
Lock the coupler on the ball. Use the tongue jack and raise the trailer and TV 3"to4". Then latch the spring bars in.

That's exactly what I do and it's very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post

Thank you but I am aware of the proper procedures.
That had nothing to do with the bracket coming off. It was due to my failure to insure the brackets were properly installed and tight. Lesson learned, I do not think it will happen again, at least to me. I was trying to warn others before it happened to them. I was very lucky it did not kill me. According to the Doctor 1/4 inch either direction and I would be either dead or blind in one eye.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
On my install of the swaypro towing a "different brand" trailer, I found that going thru the set up in the instructions ( measuring height of fenderwells ) once I got the front of the truck back to stock height, it verified perfect for 100% FALR at the scales.

And yes, it's critical in use ( to disconnect the bars ) to "remove the tension" from the bars using the trailer tongue jack. Once the tension is removed, then releasing the brackets is very easy indeed.

The hitch works well in use.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
easy system to use. had to figure out how many links to use but once i got that down pat, quick and easy. have had big side winds up the Columbia river gorge without any side movement of the trailer. good recommendation by my AS dealer.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Glad to hear!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just completed a 360 mile trip with the Blue Ox WD hitch. It worked flawlessly. Worth every penny.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I have a dealer installed Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1K bars and use the air suspension to lower the TV on blocks under the bars to release the tension to hook-up and un-hook. I also found that using a long breaker bar with socket better than the supplied wrench.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
I have a dealer installed Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1K bars and use the air suspension to lower the TV on blocks under the bars to release the tension to hook-up and un-hook. I also found that using a long breaker bar with socket better than the supplied wrench.
Having trouble picturing what you are describing. Could you please give more details. Thank you

Old 05-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I tried to post a reply to AWCHIEF but it disappeared so here goes again.

My TV is a Range Rover with adjustable air suspension for normal road, high for off road and low for ease of getting in and out. I hook up the AS on the coupler and insert the bars on the Blue Ox. I put wood blocks under the chain ends of the bars and lower the suspension to compress the bars making it much easier to insert the chains at the correct link, rotate and lock the brackets. I then change the setting to normal height and remove the blocks. The procedure is reversed to unlock, rotate the brackets and remove the chains.

TG Twinkie's procedure of lifting the tongue and TV with the AS jack works by shortening the distance between the chain end of the bars and the bracket thus requiring less rotating pressure on the bracket to lock or unlock it.

I don't have experience with other WD/Sway systems but once I got past the quick jerk when releasing the chain I found the Blue Ox to work very well especially when turning or backing a tight radius. Also, no issues with sway. Hope this helps.