Old 07-10-2019, 01:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Blue Ox Deflection

On my FC25FBT being towed by a F150 with a Swaypro Blue Ox Iím having to crank the chains with 1000lb bars farther than it seems like I should to avoid the front of the truck raising. The CAT scale says this is reasonably distributed and the truck/trailer is dead level so Iím pretty sure this is the right setting. Tongue weight is pretty close to 1000lbs.

Should I move to 1500 lb bars or is this amount of deflection okay? I know that will make it rougher but how much?

The F150 XLT has 1,850 in payload capacity and Bilstein shocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE0A7409-3377-490D-9E8B-5F48F0B56FBA.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	539.0 KB
ID:	346020  

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:24 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Follow Ford’s instructions for applying a WDH in the vehicles users manual.

Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard....👍

Getting the front axle fully 'restored' is not the ultimate goal.
Getting the rig to handle correctly is.
What to do now? Fully loaded for Camping...loosen the bars until you feel a negative effect and then re-tighten 'til it's gone.

Go to the CAT scales to get your baseline. And work from that setting.
I tweek the bars whenever required, according to load and conditions.

There is no rule set in stone, it's how your rig responds to different loads and conditions.

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you canít."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
If I remember the Ford spreadsheet that I have at home, with the F150 you want a 50% correction. That means if the tongue weight raises the front fenders 1" you want to used the WD bars to lower it back to only a half inch of rise.

Also - if you install the bars while the trailer jack is lifting the front of the trailer and back of the truck up you won't have to do much cranking at all to install the bars. Then lower it all back down and you're good to go.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Your picture looks pretty much the same as my rig, i.e., a 2019 F150 echo, and a 27 ft FC FB with the blue ox hitch. My rig seems to handle well, with the trucks anti sway turned off.

It does look like your rotating latch cold be moved forward a bit so your chains are verticle when they are latched, as Blue Ox suggests.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I doubt the 'spreadsheet' allows for all loading and condition variables, better to tune to your own specific requirements.
It's not all that complicated, it will become second nature with experience.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you canít."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The deflection looks to be about right. The BOSP recommendation is a minimum of 2" of bend. The issue with getting enough weight distribution is that the BO spring bars are flexible. They can have difficulty moving the required weight. If your scale measurements say you have achieved that, then no need for heavier rated bars. The 1500s are a big jump in capacity and should be avoided if you don't really need them.

Often quoted is 2.5 links visible. That's usually the eighth link from the u-bolt in the rotator jaws, which looks like what you have. Certainly a good place to start your tune.

Posts above are helpful as you are looking for best stability. The 25 is going to have the potential to be heavy in the tongue. So that is going to be part of your rig lash tune.

The BOSP does not have independent weight transfer and sway control adjustment, so if you are dealing with heavy wind, you may need a slightly different setting than if you are towing on a quiet day. Wind off the quarter on the nose or high wind off the back is more interesting. Test your settings under different conditions and establish best for your rig. The same is true if you are light in the TV bed like when traveling to storage or on a short trip.

If you are new to towing a travel trailer and have not developed a sensitivity for evaluating stability, it will take some time to feel subtle differences. Take your time. Make small changes. After adjusting a bit, then weigh the rig again to verify the axles are within specification and the rig is balanced. Fine tuning will always be accomplished with gear load out positioning. Less weight behind the rear axle of trailer and tow vehicle helps. Weight low helps. Between 10% and 15% on the tongue is the expected range for stability. Do not forget to get your tire pressure right for your loading.

Your final adjustment is speed. Poor conditions may require slowing down considerably. Target speed is 65mph, not 85mph. What you can do is not what you should do. Stability can change in an instant with the wrong conditions. Over time you will find the speeds and conditions that are stable for your rig.

Good luck with your tune. Hope to see you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for everyoneís comments.

This will be my second season using the BO hitch and the FRC25. Whatís different this time is the truck. My last F150 came with airbags in the back which meant I could inflate them when towing to control porpoising.

With this new F150 I didnít bother with airbags but instead installed Bilstein shocks. They also seem to drastically eliminate porpoising so Iím glad I made that switch. That does result in some new learning for me.

Of course to put the hitch on I elevate the jack to reduce the amount of force needed to put them on.

Iím happy with the way the rig drives at this setting. I just didnít know if this was deflecting the bars too much and I needed to back off one link and accept the front of the truck going up an inch or get 1,500 lb bars and accept that the ride will be rougher. I guess I can try it one link less and see.

The plan is to go to a CAT scale somewhere along our route when we are fully loaded. We havenít quite left yet so I wanted to get close. If, as I suspect, the scale says I should be at the setting Iím at now I wanted to be prepared with heavier bars if these are currently deflected too much. Those arenít cheap and they are heavy to haul around for no reason.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
When you do actually get to CAT scales and determine your traveling tongue weight, that'll help make the decision on the bars. Blue Ox tells me the bars are "up to" values, appropriate for tongue weights from the value of the next-lower-size bars "up to" the rated value. So, for my 930-950 lb tongue weight, 1000-lb bars (with the 10th link in the notch) are the recommended size. If your tongue is more in the 1100-lb range you might want the bigger bars, but when I felt like performance wasn't ideal at the default settings, Blue Ox encouraged me to try the 1k-lb bars on 10th link and 17k miles later I'm still happy with it.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Your picture looks pretty much the same as my rig, i.e., a 2019 F150 echo, and a 27 ft FC FB with the blue ox hitch. My rig seems to handle well, with the trucks anti sway turned off.

It does look like your rotating latch cold be moved forward a bit so your chains are verticle when they are latched, as Blue Ox suggests.

Mike

Yes. It looks like he should move the latches forward

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
Yes. It looks like he should move the latches forward
For what itís worth thatís where the AS dealer put the latches. Something about being easier to latch I think. Moving them forward would be a way to fine tune the tension however.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Is the truck and trailer both straight in the picture? If the truck and trailer are turned to the left maybe thatís why they look to far back.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydCoVa View Post
Is the truck and trailer both straight in the picture? If the truck and trailer are turned to the left maybe thatís why they look to far back.
They are straight. The dealer did out them a little back from where it seems like they should be. I suspect it does make it SLIGHTLY easier to tension. Should I move them?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The bracket that holds the bars to the hitch is angled downward so I am assuming that deflection of that degree is normal. If you make it really rigid you are going to do damage to the trailer frame. You don't want the trailer to hold the truck off the ground. Remember and empty truck needs a pretty good load on the axle before it is anywhere near balanced. I would say you are fine.

Perry

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote