Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Here's our solution. The bikes travel safely inside the Bambi.

Carrying Bikes in Airstream by LToTheYnn, on Flickr

Lynn

Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post

Lynn
Lynn,

That is a great solution!!

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
I'm glad you like it, Royce!

I didn't like the idea of putting a rack on the Bambi or the front of the car, so I got a bit creative. This solution turned out to be inexpensive, safe for the Bambi, safe for the bikes and easy to setup and use.

I used wing nuts when attaching the bike fork mounts so we can remove them quickly and easily if we want/need, but usually we just leave them on when we setup the table.
Amazon.com: Delta Bike Hitch Pro 2 Locking Fork Mount with Lock: Sports & Outdoors

Lynn
Old 02-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So Lynn (hope you're still reading this) - I'm thinking of a different way to travel with 2 bikes. Hoping you and anyone else can chime in on this.

The pic below is of the street side couch area in my 27FB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4140760063.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	205223

I'm thinking of installing the fork mounts on the plywood of the couch. However, I obviously don't want them there all the time or sitting there will be uncomfortable.

One thought is to mount them on plywood strips with Velcro on the bottom and Velcro on the couch plywood so the forks can be attached and removed as needed.

Does that make sense? What other options are available to install and remove the fork mounts? Ideally, it would be cool if they rose up and locked in to place for use and then retracted down under the couch when not in use. But that kind of James Bond gear would likely cost a lot more than plywood and Velcro :-)

Wide open to suggestions here!!

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I've been thinking about the same. I like Lynn's approach.

We use fork mounts now on the roof rack, and there is more lateral force than I would want to trust to Velcro.

My plan would be to put two fork mounts on a short detachable bar cut to the same length as the depth of the installed couch. I will use Thule Lowrider or similar, such as is often mounted in a bed of a pickup. The two Lowriders bolt to a crossbar with two holes drilled in it, one at each end, say 18" apart.

Thule Low Rider 821XT - Thule

There would be two small slots cut at the same 18" lateral spacing. At each slot there would be a heavy hinge bolted underneath the plywood, with a threaded stud welded on one side of each hinge, protruding upwards. They would fall down out of the way or be pulled up to mount the crossbar securely to the plywood of the couch with wing nuts.

For the rear wheels, use 8" of double sided 1" wide Velcro fasted at the centre of each tire contact point, and simply wrap each rear wheel to stop it bouncing around. It won't disturb the cushions when not in use.

Anyway, that is my plan. I think a bunkhouse would be great, as the rear bed (which we don't need) could be used as a bicycle garage. Bikes could stay there when set up and wouldn't be in the way. Just not sure we want a 30 foot trailer though, and if it is a 27 foot we would use the couch location as you describe.

Jeff
Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Very interesting! Any drawings of your idea to have them mounted on disappearing hinges?

As for Velcro, what I was thinking was a 12" x 29.5" x 1/2" piece of plywood (the 29.5" would run the entire depth of the couch). The fork mount would be permanently mounted to that board and underneath would be a 2" strip of the "hook" side of the Velcro around the perimeter of the board with a corresponding size/shape of the "loop" side of the Velcro on the plywood base of the couch (both glued and stapled to both surfaces). One would be on the left side of the couch (facing the window) and the other would be on the right. This would enable me to travel with both bikes as shown here:

Name:	image-186739164.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	205297

The top side of the boards would also include hooks of some sort to run rope or bungie cords through tires to hold them in place. When not in use, just detach the boards from their Velcro grip and put the pillows on the couch.

No surprise here - I'm no engineer ;-) so I have no clue if that makes sense or not.

I was hoping there would be some low profile "channel" I could permanently mount to the couch plywood (across the 29.5" span) in to which I could "slide in" the fork mount and tighten with wing nuts for easy in/out. If the channel were low profile enough, you wouldn't feel it with the couch pillows installed.

But your idea of sinking them is pretty compelling - any insight you can share on how you'd do that is welcome (as are comments on my suggested approach or perhaps other ideas I haven't thought of).

Thanks!!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The Fiamma bike rack is expensive, but it really works well. Since it was made for the trailer, it fits like it belongs. Not often mentioned here is how EASY it is to put a bike on the rack and take it off. You can do this in less than a minute, and it is a very secure install, I might add. I'm on my second Fiamma. The first one was mutilated by an idiot who rear ended my trailer last summer....about $4,000 worth of damage. Oh, that included a new bike rack, new bumper, new trunk lid, but it's as good as new.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Neenah , Wisconsin
I'm mounting my bikes in my truck bed, but if you are thinking about mounting them to the plywood under your couch this should work for you as well. I bought two Rhode Gear Truck Shuttle mounts on ebay (Rhode Gear isn't making them any more, but you can still find them online). I use a T-nut mounted to the underside of a plywood sheet to mount them. Here is a photo of the box, the mount, and the T-Nut:

Name:	Group.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	205343

Here is a close-up of the T-Nut:

Name:	T-nut.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	205344

What it looks like installed in the plywood:

Name:	Plywood.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	205345

This is installed in 3/4" plywood, but they are meant to be used with 1/2". I had to drill a recess into the back side so that the threads of the t-nut were close enough to the surface for the mount to engage.

The bike mount:

Name:	Bike Mount.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	205346

When I want to carry the bikes it takes about 15 seconds to install the bike mount and tighten it down using the big yellow wheel you see in the photo.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
SteveSueMac, can u cut the plywood in say thirds or width you need for fork. Screw fork in for use, then flip board over to face down when not in use? I have Bambi, so do not know what is under your couch. Just a thought.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post

Lynn
I did this for many, many years with my old SOB. It worked extremely well......but over the years there were the inevitable hits to the interior with pedals, etc. I wasn't willing to accept the damage in the AS so ....

Name:	IMG-20120329-00035.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	205347

This is how we roll now. And I am very happy with it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop View Post
I'm mounting my bikes in my truck bed, but if you are thinking about mounting them to the plywood under your couch this should work for you as well. I bought two Rhode Gear Truck Shuttle mounts on ebay (Rhode Gear isn't making them any more, but you can still find them online). I use a T-nut mounted to the underside of a plywood sheet to mount them. Here is a photo of the box, the mount, and the T-Nut:

Here is a close-up of the T-Nut:

What it looks like installed in the plywood:

This is installed in 3/4" plywood, but they are meant to be used with 1/2". I had to drill a recess into the back side so that the threads of the t-nut were close enough to the surface for the mount to engage.

The bike mount:

When I want to carry the bikes it takes about 15 seconds to install the bike mount and tighten it down using the big yellow wheel you see in the photo.
Jcoop - another interesting approach!

Pure ignorance here - can those t-nuts be installed top down? I dot want to remove the couch plywood to install from underneath, but wonder if they could be installed top down (looks like they could) because if so, you certainly wouldn't feel those!

I could use 4 per fork with the forks I have or try to find the version you're using.

Great ideas! Love the creativity of this group!!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
SteveSueMac, can u cut the plywood in say thirds or width you need for fork. Screw fork in for use, then flip board over to face down when not in use? I have Bambi, so do not know what is under your couch. Just a thought.
That's an interesting option too. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #27
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
You can't use those nuts from the top as they would simply pull out. I do like Jcoop's idea. If you can't get access underneath to install them the first time, there are blind nuts that you can install from the top and which expand to hold. I had thought the plywood would be fairly thin and I was going to clamp it with my crossbar and the heavy hinge mounted underneath.

Your bikes are quite a bit wider than mine. I was planning to use a length of a universal truck bed rail system cut to couch depth, with two fork mounts on the same bar. Your bikes likely have to face opposite directions, and so couldn't use a single rail.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Why not a rear hitch?

There are some really innovative solutions presented here, but none of them work very well for me, so I'm pretty much left with bikes on their sides in the bed of the pu or a rear receiver.

I'm having trouble reconciling the claims of potential frame overstress or damage from a bike rack mounted on a rear hitch with the fact that AS sells a bike rack which places all of its vertical load on the bumper rails substantially farther aft than the load generated by a mount in the receiver of a frame mounted hitch.

It would seem that all the weight of the Fiamma and bikes ultimately ends up as load on the frame. It looks like the upper attachment points are pinned to swivel and primarily provide restriction of fore and aft travel. Even if they did take some vertical load, wouldn't that still end up being transmitted to the frame? What am I missing?

OTOH, by the time I mount a receiver and buy a bike rack I suspect I'll be pretty close to the price of the Fiamma. The rear receiver would provide a little more flexibility for other options like a cargo platform to carry some lightweight stuff.

Thanks,

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote