Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Andy, ironically after initial design, aft weight is actually helpful in an airplane. Increased weight at the tail reduces induced drag of the tail because the required tail down force ( like lift but pointed down ) is decreased due to the help of gravity. Sorry to sound like an airplane nerd.

My thought on the ac unit is that, like you said, the location and distribution of the weight makes it acceptable. That makes me wonder if you can transfer that weight to the structure via straps. I could swear I saw a guy on here that did exactly that by using straps from the window.

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums

Old 02-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #30

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandfly View Post
Andy, ironically after initial design, aft weight is actually helpful in an airplane. Increased weight at the tail reduces induced drag of the tail because the required tail down force ( like lift but pointed down ) is decreased due to the help of gravity. Sorry to sound like an airplane nerd.

My thought on the ac unit is that, like you said, the location and distribution of the weight makes it acceptable. That makes me wonder if you can transfer that weight to the structure via straps. I could swear I saw a guy on here that did exactly that by using straps from the window.

HowieE makes reference to using the window for support of his rack installation.

Bike Rack Hitch - Airstream Forums

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Thanks Kevin. That is the one I remember.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Front of Tow Vehicle is My Vote

We added a hitch to the front of our F350 ($150 with a small labor cost I believe) allowing us to use our Thule Bike rack for 3 bikes or a small outboard motor rack. It also allows you to insert a cargo carrier - typically seen on the back of a SUV etc which was also good for hauling the kids bikes or even our large marine cooler. Easy to load and off load or top off with ice and cold beverages. Just be sure the clearance is right or you will crush something pulling into a gas station etc. I also had to remind myself often that the carrier was there so as to not pull in too close in a parking lot. Cabellas and others stock a folding aluminum version which you can tip up in front of your grill/bumper when not in use - like a brush guard. NOT TOO REPEAT the 5 million posts on the subject but dont even try and think you are the first person in history to figure out how to attach a rack at the rear of your AS - it will either screw up your trailer or cost you a small fortune in engineering costs. I once strapped a small trolling motor onto the top of my 68' bumper and drove a mere 500 miles - visible separation and damage. Very little weight but a whole lot of torque. The front mounted Arvika unit posted earlier looks slick!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
bumper attachments

THe weight added to the rear end of any travel trailer, typically causes frame separation, especially on an Airstream or Argosy.

The problem is called "moment arm".

Simply measure the distance from the most rearward axle, to the weight location.

As an example, lets say it's 12 feet.

Multiply the added weight then, by the 12 feet.

So, if we added a total of 50 pounds to the rear end, times 12, that equals to 600 pounds.

That is a dead weight, not in motion.

Then when the trailer is moving, obviously it hits bumps, here and there. When that happens, the 600 pounds can and does multiply as much as 5 to 6 times.

Now we have a rear end weight of 3000 to 3600 pounds.

Need more be said, that the Airstream products are not designed to take that momentary load.

Also, keep in mind that the frame DOES NOT hold up the shell, but indeed, the shell holds up the frame.

Andy
Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
I also added a hitch to the front of my airstream to carry bikes. The hitch was about $130 and it only has 4 bolts. Real easy to install. The first time we used it, I borrowed my brothers bike rack. It sat too high and made it difficult to see. I had to take all the seats off the bikes and put all the handlebars on the passenger side. I then decided to buy my own rack and modify it. Here is the one that I purchased. I had to drill a few extra holes in the upright to make it sit lower, and I had to drill another hole in the tilting part, to make the bikes sit level with the ground. Now I can see perfect. When the bikes are not on it, I can't even see the rack. I take the rack off when we are not on vacation. Here is a picture:

Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock53 View Post
I also added a hitch to the front of my airstream to carry bikes.

I carry our bikes the same way on our GMC 2500HD and did previously on our GMC1500.

On the 2500 however, like you I found that the rack carried the bikes way too high.

I cut down the rack and rewelded it and now pretty ,much all is hidden below the hood line. Just enough of the handlebars showing that I know the bikes are still there.

I did have someone once tell me it was not legal to carry the bikes up front because technically, they present a bit of an obstruction to the headlights.

Could be true I suppose if some LEO really wanted to be picky, they do have minor effect to the illumination I believe, but hardly enough to worry about and it is seldom that we are on the road towing at night.

In any event I have carried our bikes this way now for over 12 years with never a problem.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #36
;)

2011 27 FB International
Leesburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

As we all know, the tail end of any aircraft is kept as light as possible, therefore luggage or containers are never put at the rear end of any aircraft.

Andy
Hmmm i remeber unloading 100+parcels and bags from the tail of a Ups plane daily for 5 years. The smalls where loaded in bags so id guess average weight at 30lbs. 3000+lbs every day is not "never"
Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Just a thought

Would anyone here advise me not to install a second air conditioner, located at the rear ceiling vent due to structural concerns?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
THe weight added to the rear end of any travel trailer, typically causes frame separation, especially on an Airstream or Argosy.

The problem is called "moment arm".

Simply measure the distance from the most rearward axle, to the weight location.

As an example, lets say it's 12 feet.

Multiply the added weight then, by the 12 feet.

So, if we added a total of 50 pounds to the rear end, times 12, that equals to 600 pounds.

That is a dead weight, not in motion.

Then when the trailer is moving, obviously it hits bumps, here and there. When that happens, the 600 pounds can and does multiply as much as 5 to 6 times.

Now we have a rear end weight of 3000 to 3600 pounds.

Need more be said, that the Airstream products are not designed to take that momentary load.

Also, keep in mind that the frame DOES NOT hold up the shell, but indeed, the shell holds up the frame.

Andy
Andy et al,

I've always seen this argument and agreed with it, but I wonder about the applicability on my trailer? 5'6" is the distance from the centerline of the leaf spring mounting points (which is then where the axle is as well), going back to the rear most part of the bumper. If I plan to put ~40# there including carrier, on such a short frame, and after having rebuilt and strengthened the entire structure with thicker plywood, more bolts, etc, it seems like there is a chance I might be able to have a rear carrier.

Until now, I had been planning to mount a front receiver hitch on the TV or build a locking track system in the trailer interior to mount the bikes on. Thoughts?

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Andy et al,

I've always seen this argument and agreed with it, but I wonder about the applicability on my trailer? 5'6" is the distance from the centerline of the leaf spring mounting points (which is then where the axle is as well), going back to the rear most part of the bumper. If I plan to put ~40# there including carrier, on such a short frame, and after having rebuilt and strengthened the entire structure with thicker plywood, more bolts, etc, it seems like there is a chance I might be able to have a rear carrier.

Until now, I had been planning to mount a front receiver hitch on the TV or build a locking track system in the trailer interior to mount the bikes on. Thoughts?

How did you strengthen the shell?

Remember, the shell holds up the frame.

Therefore is doesn't matter whaqt you did to the frame.

Physics, doesn't allow us to practice "seems like".

Andy
Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Mikeandnora,

In some climates a second A/C is required. If done properly it will be supported by the superstructure of the trailer. Mine is the second link.

Follow these link to the install of a bedroom A/C. Also you can look at my pitures in my profile on how I did mine this spring.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...tml#post839907

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...-in-75958.html
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Thanks James. My mentioning that was because I bet you could mount bikes at the back utilizing the superstructure rather than the frame. I don't know what an a/c unit weighs, but I bet the concept would make bikes doable.

I just really don't want our bikes to go on the front or inside or top of tv.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
How did you strengthen the shell?

Remember, the shell holds up the frame.

Therefore is doesn't matter whaqt you did to the frame.

Physics, doesn't allow us to practice "seems like".

Andy
Maybe I'm misunderstanding rear-end separation. I get the basic concept of monocoque structure and each part relying on the others, but I thought the normal separation was of frame from floor and shell? So the failure point is normally the bolts in the plywood and the C/J-channel to the plywood and the C/J-channel to the outer skin?

So is the primary concern of the moment arm that we shear the rivets and screws holding the shell on?

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote